NT555r vs ET Street SS?

Powertechn2

Currently running worn out 28x12.50 et streets. Old style.

Comparing between the NT555r, and the Street SS's.

Anyone ran the two that can say how well or not well the NT555r's actually hook or don't?

Likely dropping down a size to a 26x11.50 also. I don't track the car, and am sick of rubbing on large bumps/turns. I assume that should be closer to stock diameter than a 27".

I just don't need a 28" tall tire. OD in 1/4 is not an issue.

I was quoted about $100 difference between the two for a set. I tried to search, it is still down.

All the info I found was mainly on Camaro and Mustang sites.

I am sure they will hook better than my worn out (in reality, just old/dry) ET streets I currently have.

Thanks for any info.

Currently running worn out 28x12.50 et streets. Old style.

Comparing between the NT555r, and the Street SS's.

Anyone ran the two that can say how well or not well the NT555r's actually hook or don't?

Likely dropping down a size to a 26x11.50 also. I don't track the car, and am sick of rubbing on large bumps/turns. I assume that should be closer to stock diameter than a 27".

I just don't need a 28" tall tire. OD in 1/4 is not an issue.

I was quoted about $100 difference between the two for a set. I tried to search, it is still down.

All the info I found was mainly on Camaro and Mustang sites.

I am sure they will hook better than my worn out (in reality, just old/dry) ET streets I currently have.

Thanks for any info.
I would look at he the mt website and pick what size you think you should get.your talking about dropping tire size down and still hooking a gn with heads and cam and 60 turbo I would be looking at the et street r.

I would look at he the mt website and pick what size you think you should get.your talking about dropping tire size down and still hooking a gn with heads and cam and 60 turbo I would be looking at the et street r.

If you are looking for best traction on the street. MT street R or street SS. Best wear go with the Nitto 555r. I've used street SS, street pro and 555r. None is going to dead hook and go on the street though. Street pro is the best I've used but technically aren't street legal. I found for wear the 555 and street SS are about the same. 555 might last a little longer but you are giving up traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Mr.Spool I have looked at those. (R's)

Main reason I am dropping size is I am sick of rubbing, and crappy ride. Especially while turning. It isn't like the roads around this part of Mi are even close to good.

Having to have the drag bags at 14& 18 psi to minimize the rubbing and hitting any sort of bump is just bouncy as hell.

@wb_7354 If you were to compare the 555's and the SS, how close was the traction? I guess, are the 555's for 3/4 the price still OK?

Again, my old ET's are just toast, dry. I mean to the point I am just waiting for one to blow. The scoring on the outer side from a few bad bumps and rubs is also unsettling, contributing to wanting to drop size. Mainly the width.

Even thought about a used set a neighbor offered for $100, but then found they were the old style ET Streets, in a 27x11.50, but he claimed a year old, 3 runs... Inside wall rubbed smooth... And likely 5-7 years old. I mean, they stopped making those about 5 years ago I think.

At this point I have to assume any new tire that isn't dry as my liquor cabinet should at least hook better than what I have.

Not really sure how much height has to do with hooking up. Never been to the track, likely wouldn't pass inspection at this point. Previous owner/buddy said he went with the 28" to avoid OD in the 1/4 mile.

Mainly I just cruise, screw around a lil bit. Don't race. Haven't even had anyone try to. Have had more people ask if it will do a burnout than anything. I mean 3 people last saturday night alone. I don't get that, but hey...

Have probably only put about 300 miles on the car in the last 2-3 years as I keep having issues. More wanting to replace them so I feel somewhat safer than worrying about hooking and launching.

But I also don't want a tire that just goes up in smoke in a roll on.

The $100 saved can go elsewhere. Have a leaking axle seal that I will find out Friday hopefully if I need just seals or shafts and bearings too. Assuming work is light enough that I can bring my car in and get it up in the air.

My car is nowhere near as nice as anyone's here.

What size do most people run on the street?

Last edited:
Fore reference, here is what I am working with now... SMFH.

Really sad tires.

Clearly not hooking, and so dry that the tread surface is literally rolling up on itself while spinning, and the sidewall damage. Just speechless.

I don't want to get the same size and just ruin new tires, so I figure the 1/2" smaller per side (from center of wheel) width, and 1/2" shorter radius with a 27 (from axle up), or 1" if I go with a 26 should help with rubbing together.

I also figure that will effectively lower my static gear ratio (rear end x tire diameter) , and make it just more fun to drive, easier on the trans, etc...

I can honestly say I have only hit 80 once or thrice... Never been on the highway, miss meets due to driving distance and route due to the fact that these tires are fubar.

Not really sure what sizes people run. I have been searching threads, but with the search function not working it is time consuming.

I guess I should say I overthink things btw.

The last year it is like I am bleeding money, I mean literally, so I am trying to make at least an attempt at an informed decision.

I have a second set of rear draglites, but only 9 or 10" wide. And unknown offset. The wheels on the car I know at least fit a 12.50 w with slightish rubbing. I know with a 9.50 tire I would really lose traction and would just burn them up. I figure an 11.50 should have a decent enough footprint to balance the sacrifice of traction vs rubbing.

Attachments

• IMAG2948.jpg
    IMAG2948.jpg
    942.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMAG2949.jpg
    IMAG2949.jpg
    919.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMAG2950.jpg
    IMAG2950.jpg
    990.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I have the 555r 275/60/15 on my stock wheels and they hook pretty good on the street. They also don't completely suck in the rain. I drive 75 miles round trip to work and back and it rains almost every afternoon here. It's a great balance for my situation. I'm sure there are better tires for traction but I think this is some of the best money I've spent. Local guy Jose told me he has cut a sub 1.5 60ft on them. There isn't a track around here and Mine is more built to be a dependable daily driver

ive ran both on the street mostly and at the track a few times. I'd prefer the MT over the nittos becuase they hook better a the track and on the street.

Ran the MT ET street for about 2.5 years and got about 8k out of them, down to the chords. Little to heat up at the track and always hooked, 10psi launch. A bit sketchy in the rain but I just slowed down.

I'm running the nittos now. Took longer to heat up but didn't have any issues with hooking with a longer burnout. Worthless on the street with a 10ps launch. Better in the rain, still slow down though. Have yet to see how long they last as I'm a year into it. I bought them beuase they were about 100 bucks cheaper than the MTs

Next tire I wanna try the MT ET Rs.

I have the 555r 275/60/15 on my stock wheels and they hook pretty good on the street. They also don't completely suck in the rain. I drive 75 miles round trip to work and back and it rains almost every afternoon here. It's a great balance for my situation. I'm sure there are better tires for traction but I think this is some of the best money I've spent. Local guy Jose told me he has cut a sub 1.5 60ft on them. There isn't a track around here and Mine is more built to be a dependable daily driver

How modded is your car out of curiosity?

I can deal with "Hook pretty good" and saving $100 vs all the other stuff I am dealing with.

I don't drive in the rain.

Last Sat was hairy. Really wanted to get the car out. I literally drove between 3 towns and kept avoiding storms trying to see if my cooling issue was solved.

Hit water and holy sh!t, the tires I have now I can't even creep up to 30 without breaking loose.

I avoid rain period. No wipers. I mean, no wiper equipment, motor, trans, arms, everything. It is gone. And the fumes in the car is so bad with the windows up that I might as well stop by Joes army navy and pick up a gasmask...

ive ran both on the street mostly and at the track a few times. I'd prefer the MT over the nittos becuase they hook better a the track and on the street.

Ran the MT ET street for about 2.5 years and got about 8k out of them, down to the chords. Little to heat up at the track and always hooked, 10psi launch. A bit sketchy in the rain but I just slowed down.

I'm running the nittos now. Took longer to heat up but didn't have any issues with hooking with a longer burnout. Worthless on the street with a 10ps launch. Better in the rain, still slow down though. Have yet to see how long they last as I'm a year into it. I bought them beuase they were about 100 bucks cheaper than the MTs

Next tire I wanna try the MT ET Rs.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

My tires will dry rot before they are worn out, unless they wear from burnouts or other traction issues.

If you were in my shoes, where the rest of the car could use some of the money saved..... Would you buy the 555's again?

At least your sig makes me feel like the 555's will at least hook up good enough for driving and a little fun.

Tires are out of my forte.

If you have questions about plows, any outdoor power equipment, I can do that. Truck tires, ok. Get into car tires, other than tracking with turns involved, I got nothin.

.30 over, champion aluminum heads and ported intake, 212/212, 2800 stall, TE60, TH 3.5 downpipe, Cold air intake, TR6, precision SLIC, alky control and other mods for reliability not performance. 22 psi and from past cars I had when I lived 5 miles from a track I would say high 10's to low 11's if I ran it in the 1/4. I'm 47 and more interested in owning a nice car that I know isn't going to break that will keep up with most of the new performance cars. Mine has 45k miles and it's in pretty good shape. I care more about working a/c than ultimate traction. In Florida it's going to rain and I don't have time to wait until it stops. Those days are over for me. The 555r's do very well in the rain and if you can resist burnouts they should last a long time.

Last edited:
I'm in Phoenix, not much rain but on the street it's always been MT's.

I took that advice from Mike Barnard (of SpoolFool products fame) and have never looked back.

It runs 10.8's all day long at the track on MT 295/55/15 tires.

A set of slicks REALLY wakes her up.......... ;)

Well, from what you guys have said...

I feel that as much as the 555's are NOT the best performing tire, they should do better than what I have, and hopefully don't rub.

I know I am likely pushing too much power to them on the street to compete, but with the couple guys running them, I feel that if I save the $100 for the rest of the season ( It will get cold and snow and salty mess is abundant in 2 months here), that I might as well save that hundred bucks, have tires that are ok, and see how bad the rub is, while putting the money elsewhere, possibly in a set of Moser axles. and bearings...

Maybe a new fuel tank, and lines too.

I know they will not perform as well, but with at least a few guys running numbers likely higher than me (no alky, shitty tuning), I can at least drive the car, feel safe, have some fun.

In the end it is only money, you can't take it with you, but when you feel like you are bleeding money * not on the GN, primarily elsewhere, the 1/4 saved is 1/4 that I can spend elsewhere, or next season if I realize the tires suck.

Anything HAS to be better than what I have now.

I am going to check out a shop that funked up my truck a couple years back, was going to cost them $800-850 to fix what they did, and I lived with it.

If they will gimme a great price on the SS's, I will go that route. Otherwise it will be the 555r's.

I really do appreciate the feedback.

Again, any plow or OPE questions, hit me up. As far as OPE, I don't care if it is your string trimmer, or that Exmark you have issues with. I help where I can, and feel bad I have not met anyone on this board yet.

As stated before I run nittos on the street because they last . If I really wana get serious I'll go slap the slicks on .

Tires are out of my forte.

If you have questions about plows, any outdoor power equipment, I can do that. Truck tires, ok. Get into car tires, other than tracking with turns involved, I got nothin.

Any new tire will be better than those! I wouldn't leave my driveway if my tires looked like that. I'd go with the Nitto based on what you have written.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

My tires will dry rot before they are worn out, unless they wear from burnouts or other traction issues.

If you were in my shoes, where the rest of the car could use some of the money saved..... Would you buy the 555's again?

At least your sig makes me feel like the 555's will at least hook up good enough for driving and a little fun.

No problem. Like I said I would go with the MT ET. I have another pair is rims I have stock tires on so my thought was have both tires and just alternate at the track if need be. I would buy the nittos again. I don't make a lot of money but work a shit ton of overtime, nonprofit blows hahah.

Depending on mods, i feel any mid 11 to 13 would benefit from the tire at the track. I drive a lot, daily pretty much for upstate ny. Needed a tire to last me awhile.

If you are looking for best traction on the street. MT street R or street SS. Best wear go with the Nitto 555r. I've used street SS, street pro and 555r. None is going to dead hook and go on the street though. Street pro is the best I've used but technically aren't street legal. I found for wear the 555 and street SS are about the same. 555 might last a little longer but you are giving up traction.

I have dead hooked the et street and pro on the street the ss were a different story.

Fore reference, here is what I am working with now... SMFH.

Really sad tires.

Clearly not hooking, and so dry that the tread surface is literally rolling up on itself while spinning, and the sidewall damage. Just speechless.

I don't want to get the same size and just ruin new tires, so I figure the 1/2" smaller per side (from center of wheel) width, and 1/2" shorter radius with a 27 (from axle up), or 1" if I go with a 26 should help with rubbing together.

I also figure that will effectively lower my static gear ratio (rear end x tire diameter) , and make it just more fun to drive, easier on the trans, etc...

I can honestly say I have only hit 80 once or thrice... Never been on the highway, miss meets due to driving distance and route due to the fact that these tires are fubar.

Not really sure what sizes people run. I have been searching threads, but with the search function not working it is time consuming.

I guess I should say I overthink things btw.

The last year it is like I am bleeding money, I mean literally, so I am trying to make at least an attempt at an informed decision.

I have a second set of rear draglites, but only 9 or 10" wide. And unknown offset. The wheels on the car I know at least fit a 12.50 w with slightish rubbing. I know with a 9.50 tire I would really lose traction and would just burn them up. I figure an 11.50 should have a decent enough footprint to balance the sacrifice of traction vs rubbing.
My thought is you need to find the right size rim/backspacing and tire.the tire should not rub unless it's too wide.want to hook it you need a 10inch contact patch no wider than 12.0 belly to belly which is offered for our cars.taller tire provides more sidewall so it can take the hit better with more rollout.with the new mt street tires you can have great traction and a great ride.

My thought is you need to find the right size rim/backspacing and tire.the tire should not rub unless it's too wide.want to hook it you need a 10inch contact patch no wider than 12.0 belly to belly which is offered for our cars.taller tire provides more sidewall so it can take the hit better with more rollout.with the new mt street tires you can have great traction and a great ride.
The backspacing on the current rears is good, just the 12.5 tire width is too much. Close to the frame rail, and too wide for the fender lip. I could roll the lips, but would rather downsize some.