OEM GM Radio with CD and Ipod interface

GNICETRY

Cat&wife post starter
Where can I get one? I am looking for the radio that looks like ours, but with a CD player that plays all burned CD's. It also has to have the equalizer and be modified for the ipod interface. Thinking about going back to the stock look.

E-bay. There are a few different regulars that refurbish stereos and do the mods for an ipod hook up. I bought a stereo from custom_radios_oem.He does good work.

I just contacted him. I want the newer style radio with CD. I also asked if he could add preamp outputs. His radios look real nice.

Just got the radio. His name is Troy, really nice guy. Radio looks like it was never used. Had the GN knobs put on it, preamp outputs installed and an aux attachment. It actually is hardwired through the back and I could put it where I want. Radio was 100% gone over and plays ALL CD's. Very happy.
DSC04393.JPG
DSC04394.JPG

Cool idea. I have a JVC right now with the same functionality but what is the going rate for the modified GM radio?

Brian Harper said:
E-bay. There are a few different regulars that refurbish stereos and do the mods for an ipod hook up. I bought a stereo from custom_radios_oem.He does good work.

I bought two radios from him and both only lasted about 3 or 4 months before they started going bad. Emailed him and he said nothing he could do about it, so finally just went with an aftermarket radio. Cost of trying to keep car original in appearance, around $400.00 on both radios. Both are paper weights now.

I bought two radios from him and both only lasted about 3 or 4 months before they started going bad. Emailed him and he said nothing he could do about it, so finally just went with an aftermarket radio. Cost of trying to keep car original in appearance, around $400.00 on both radios. Both are paper weights now.

What exactly happened? Having 2 radios go bad seems a liitle rare. Were they the same unit as the one I posted? I know there are some others on this board with this radio.

First one was the non-EQ model and the second one was the EQ model.

They both would stop playing but were still powered on and lit.

I've kind of heard the same thing about buying these evilbay units.
Doesn't mean they're bad people, but the units might just not be rebuildable for the long haul.

Doesn't Jay still rebuild the radios.
I am not clear if he modifies them.

I lke the looks of my Corvette radio w/ CD.

What's a CD?
You know - that's how we used to buy music.
Buy music? :D

BoyWonder said:
Doesn't mean they're bad people, but the units might just not be rebuildable for the long haul.

Hhhmmm makes sense, just because you can retrofit something doesn't mean it's going to work or for how long, as it was in my case.

Still waiting to put it in, should be end of the week. I ordered the Rockford Fosgate Prime component system and am waiting for it to arrive:rolleyes:

I want to premise my post with; I empathise with you turbot3.8. I DO NOT know what happened in your case, but to buy a product, ANY product, and have it not work properly or go bad prematurely, is not a good feeling. Spending $800 and having that happen is downright depressing. I have been there.
I DO NOT know Troy other than him being recommended by the above post. I DO NOT know your exact circumstances. But this is what I DO know: I had contacted him and he had responded quickly. I had told him what I wanted and he found it reasonably quick. He was able to accomodate the GN knobs on the radio and add preamp outputs. He had emailed me many pictures of the radio, lit up, and even followed up with texts. He has answered all my texts almost instantaneously. He shipped it out rather quickly and the radio is in "like brand new" condition. He had emailed and texted shipping information. I spoke with him for quite some time and my discernment is that he is a trustworthy person. I believe he knows what he is talking about and is very familiar with GM radios. His Ebay rating is 100%. I have also contacted 3 people on this site with the same radio (1 from him-not hooked up yet, 1 from another Ebay seller, and 1 who forgot who he had bought it from). The 2 that have them hooked up state that it has been years without a problem. I contacted him after I read turbot3.8's post, as I was concerned myself. The first thing he did was ask if I wanted to return it. I obviously told him no. He then went on to say that a problem with the original GN radios (the ones with the small silver push buttons) was that the power switch was basically a design flaw and they are prone to go out. When they do, they light up as if they are working, but nothing else. That seems to be your situation but I'm not sure since you never answered if it was the same radio I have (GMC Syclone type) or a stock GN one. When you deal with electronics, it can be a very 'touchy' subject. And these cars are particularly tricky with electronic issues. Most places don't even take any electronical equipment back for returns. I see many older cars (50's-60's) that still have the stock radio working. Of course the quaility control back then was probably WAY better than the 80's:( The other 2 main GM radio/ipod rebuilders on Ebay also have 100% positive ratings also. I have not 'heard' of any bad experiences with refurbed GM ipod radios, except the 1 above post. I mean it is a radio here we are talking about, not rocket science.
And to clarify, I am not doubting anyone or taking sides here. Just want to post my experiences.

turbot3.8-again I DO NOT know your exact circumstances, but why don't you give him another call/email. When I spoke to him regarding your situation I did not get the impression that there was nothing he could do for you. He had stated that it was a very easy, inexpensive fix. I know you have another radio now but maybe you could fix the other 2, sell them and recoup some of your $$. No more paper weights:D

I did state in my post that both radios were GM radios, first one was a “non-EQ” type and the second one was the “EQ” type one.

As to it being a “GMC Syclone” type radio or from what vehicle he procured it from that was never spoken of.

And when I did email him about fixing it, he’s response to me was NOT that it would be an inexpensive fix but that the combined cost of “shipping and parts with labor” it would just be cheaper for me to buy another radio hence that’s why I bought another radio from him.

Because of his overall helpful demeanor I figured maybe it was just my bad luck with the first radio so foolish me buys the upgraded “EQ” GM radio from him and low and behold radio number two goes bad with all the symptoms as the radio number one.

Final outcome for me was to just go with an aftermarket radio and forget about keeping the OEM radio look, since I needed a good dependable radio for those long cruises.

Don’t get the wrong impression of me thinking that a go around town full blasting my radio. 98 percent of the time it is at average comfortable listening level the other 2 percent would be maybe in company of friends, so they can see there is quality sounds in the car for just a couple of seconds, so my radio is by far not abused or a workhorse pumping out megawatts.

I also inspected twice all the wiring and equipment in the car just to be sure there was not an issue in the vehicle that was causing the problem.

Hopefully your experience "GNICETRY" turns out better than mine.

Also this was like two years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that life sometimes is like an onion. You peel one layer and then you get to a deeper, wetter layer. And most times you cry too:(. Some information to post to my fellow TR brothers;

The experience with Troy from custom_radios_oem did not go very well. I WILL NOT turn this into a bashing post about him, but rather would like to tell of my experiences so people could make an informed decision. I received the radio and it was not working properly. I mailed it back and then was accused of opening the radio, tampering with it, and then expecting him to fix all my 'tamperings' :mad: . This was very not cool and VERY wrong. The radio was in my possession 100% of the time except for a 10 minute walk that I took to buy door clips. My radio guy didn't touch it. He didn't want to touch it and thought I was going backwards by installing an older radio than what I had. I tried to be as reasonable as possible and asked if possibly it could have been done during shipping and received a sarcastic answer. He stated that he would fix the radio and return it to me. He returned it to me. Still didn't work properly. My installer swore it was the radio. At this point I ordered a new wiring harness to be 100% sure that wasn't the problem. Troy from custom_radios_oem told me that if the wiring harness didn't fix it, he would fix it again. At this point I decided that I can't do business with a person that accused me of deception and fraud. Searched some more and, thanks to a couple guys on this site, was led to Craig Kettner (ccc87gn@yahoo.com) who also refurbs the radios. I spoke with 2 people on this site who had bought from him and both had theirs running for over 2 years with no problems. He also gives a 6 month warranty and an awesome 'test' CD. Spoke with him, sent it out, and my (main?) circuit board was bad. He replaced it and I plugged it into my old harness and it works perfectly. If anyone wants to know the whole story with Troy they can PM me. I don't believe that he purposely sent me a bad radio, yet that does not change the fact that I did not get what I paid for either.

I installed the Rockford Fosgate Prime system. It went in rather painlessly and sounds pretty decent. The GM CD radio with the Prime system sounds the same as my aftermarket radio with decent no-name speakers. The EQ in the radio actually makes it sound better I believe. Very happy with the sound quality.

Regarding the wiring harness this is what I found: you will need the Metra TurboWires 70-1853. Metra also has the 70-1677-1. This is the same harness but comes in 2 pieces. The 70-1853 is all 1 piece and is a really nice product. You will also need the larger-to-smaller GM antenna adapter. Kirban actually sells both as a kit under part#7065.

I still have to position the Dakota Digital hidden antenna and buy a Stinger SN21 Pop Stopper due to a popping I am getting when the radio is turned off (not the radio's fault but rather common with an aftermarket amp setup), so I will post back with further results.

Lastly, I would like to give Brian Harper (post#2) a big :rolleyes: THANK YOU:rolleyes: . But I can't. I had contacted him about Troy from custom_radios_oem's good work that he had mentioned. As of 01/11/2013 he had not even installed the radio. I had PM'ed him 3x after that as to humbly inquire as to why he said he did good work, since I was having a such a problem and he never answered my PMs :(:(:( (1 for each unanswered PM).

It seems that life sometimes is like an onion. You peel one layer and then you get to a deeper, wetter layer. And most times you cry too:(. Some information to post to my fellow TR brothers;

The experience with Troy from custom_radios_oem did not go very well. I WILL NOT turn this into a bashing post about him, but rather would like to tell of my experiences so people could make an informed decision. I received the radio and it was not working properly. I mailed it back and then was accused of opening the radio, tampering with it, and then expecting him to fix all my 'tamperings' :mad: . This was very not cool and VERY wrong. The radio was in my possession 100% of the time except for a 10 minute walk that I took to buy door clips. My radio guy didn't touch it. He didn't want to touch it and thought I was going backwards by installing an older radio than what I had. I tried to be as reasonable as possible and asked if possibly it could have been done during shipping and received a sarcastic answer. He stated that he would fix the radio and return it to me. He returned it to me. Still didn't work properly. My installer swore it was the radio. At this point I ordered a new wiring harness to be 100% sure that wasn't the problem. Troy from custom_radios_oem told me that if the wiring harness didn't fix it, he would fix it again. At this point I decided that I can't do business with a person that accused me of deception and fraud. Searched some more and, thanks to a couple guys on this site, was led to Craig Kettner (ccc87gn@yahoo.com) who also refurbs the radios. I spoke with 2 people on this site who had bought from him and both had theirs running for over 2 years with no problems. He also gives a 6 month warranty and an awesome 'test' CD. Spoke with him, sent it out, and my (main?) circuit board was bad. He replaced it and I plugged it into my old harness and it works perfectly. If anyone wants to know the whole story with Troy they can PM me. I don't believe that he purposely sent me a bad radio, yet that does not change the fact that I did not get what I paid for either.

I installed the Rockford Fosgate Prime system. It went in rather painlessly and sounds pretty decent. The GM CD radio with the Prime system sounds the same as my aftermarket radio with decent no-name speakers. The EQ in the radio actually makes it sound better I believe. Very happy with the sound quality.

Regarding the wiring harness this is what I found: you will need the Metra TurboWires 70-1853. Metra also has the 70-1677-1. This is the same harness but comes in 2 pieces. The 70-1853 is all 1 piece and is a really nice product. You will also need the larger-to-smaller GM antenna adapter. Kirban actually sells both as a kit under part#7065.

I still have to position the Dakota Digital hidden antenna and buy a Stinger SN21 Pop Stopper due to a popping I am getting when the radio is turned off (not the radio's fault but rather common with an aftermarket amp setup), so I will post back with further results.

Lastly, I would like to give Brian Harper (post#2) a big :rolleyes: THANK YOU:rolleyes: . But I can't. I had contacted him about Troy from custom_radios_oem's good work that he had mentioned. As of 01/11/2013 he had not even installed the radio. I had PM'ed him 3x after that as to humbly inquire as to why he said he did good work, since I was having a such a problem and he never answered my PMs :(:(:( (1 for each unanswered PM).

First I'd like to present my side of things. I'll admit, this was a very unpleasant experience with Doug. It first went south when he called me after he received the radio I had sent. He asked me from reading a prevoius posters input to this thread if I put a time bomb into these radios, meaning I purposly set up them go bad after the warranty period to get more business. I'll admit, I was quite unhappy with the indirect accusation. He explained that he would install the radio in the next couple of weeks. Several weeks later I get a call from him explaining there was a problem with the dimming function in the radio. He said his installer would try some options to get it working. The next day hecalled and stated there was a wiring problem in his car causing the dimmer issues. In the mean time he calls me again saying the CD player quit working and the radio went completely unresponsive. I then told him to send the radio back so I could check it out. He sent it back and the first thing I noticed were the knobs were totally crooked. Upon further review, I pulled the top portion from the radio and noticed a plug going to the CD mechanism was unplugged. See pic of the white plug under the 6 prong orange plug. The CD mechanism is completely inoperable with this plug undone. There was a CD he put in the mechanism BEFORE the plug was disconnected.

IMG_0453_zpsfe496529.jpg

Second was the missing nut on the tuner knob. See pic.
IMG_0452_zps7192268e.jpg

Third was the crooked circuit board causing the crooked knobs.
IMG_0454_zps6e08d665.jpg

I reattached everything and tested for about 6 hours and everything was functioning correctly. I contacted him and told him of my discoverys in which he adamently denied. My position was no harm, no foul. He said these issues must have happened during shipping, which is impossible. Again, no harm, no foul, I told him I would make good on everything. I then sent the radio back, in which he called a week later stating the same issues with the radio being fully functional intermittently, then unfunctional. I them told him to send it back yet again and that I would change the CDM portion of the radio which controls everything. He stated he would change the radio harness which I told him would not make a difference. Fast forward till today. He calls me saying someone else repaired the radio and is functioning well. He then says I accused him of fraud and cannot due further business. This is a complete insult to my integrity. I offered to repair the radio at all circumstances. He even pulled out the "I'm a Christian" card and that everything was my fault.

I returned every call and every message from Doug. I did everything I could to make him happy. The radio was 100% functional when I first shipped it. The radio was 100% functional after I repaired the tamper damage the second time. I can honestly say after 1000 + sales, this one has left a bad taste.

I've dealt with "custom_radios_oem" through ebay twice.

Read my earlier postings about my experience with him.

All I am going to add to this thread for any future person considering buying from him is simple:

"Read This Whole Thread And Buy At Your Own Risk".

Well the Truth shall set you free so I will refute most of your statements and then I will bow out. You can have the last word if you wish because this has deviated very much from my original intent to help people. Truth plus error always equals error.

First I'd like to present my side of things. I'll admit, this was a very unpleasant experience with Doug.
Very true.
It first went south when he called me after he received the radio I had sent. He asked me from reading a prevoius posters input to this thread if I put a time bomb into these radios, meaning I purposly set up them go bad after the warranty period to get more business.
That is not true. I asked if they had a known problem or if there was anything I should be careful with or not do with it.
I'll admit, I was quite unhappy with the indirect accusation.
Very true.
He explained that he would install the radio in the next couple of weeks.
Again true.
Several weeks later I get a call from him explaining there was a problem with the dimming function in the radio.
I called to state there was a problem with the dimming function, the power button (not turning off), the CD player that went dead after it loaded my CD and that the radio was freezing and locking up.
He said his installer would try some options to get it working.
Lie. My installer stated that it was the radio within 10 seconds of installing it. He really didn't even want to touch it.
The next day hecalled and stated there was a wiring problem in his car causing the dimmer issues.
I called you about a week after I mailed it back to you.
In the mean time he calls me again saying the CD player quit working and the radio went completely unresponsive.
Not true. I told you that from day 1.
I then told him to send the radio back so I could check it out.
True. Reluctantly. I believe your exact words were "I guess I'll have to look at it".
He sent it back and the first thing I noticed were the knobs were totally crooked. Upon further review, I pulled the top portion from the radio and noticed a plug going to the CD mechanism was unplugged. See pic of the white plug under the 6 prong orange plug. The CD mechanism is completely inoperable with this plug undone.
I can't disagree with what you saw.
There was a CD he put in the mechanism BEFORE the plug was disconnected.
Again I told you day 1, I put the CD in and it loaded and nothing happened.
I reattached everything and tested for about 6 hours and everything was functioning correctly.
If you say so.
I contacted him and told him of my discoverys in which he adamently denied.
Your discoveries were that you told me either I, or my installer, took apart the radio, messed it up and then put it back together and mailed it back to you.
My position was no harm, no foul.
Accusing me of tampering with the radio and then expecting you to fix it and lying about it seems like a little harm to me.
He said these issues must have happened during shipping, which is impossible.
That is the only reasonable explanation.
Again, no harm, no foul, I told him I would make good on everything. I then sent the radio back, in which he called a week later stating the same issues with the radio being fully functional intermittently, then unfunctional.
Little amnesia here. After our first conversation of the radio not working properly and my 'tampering' with it, you stated that you would take a look at it and correct any issues. I called you about 3 days later and told you that I had an issue with my dimmer wire on my wiring harness, so you wouldn't have to worry about the dimmer. That was my fault that did not affect the other issues. We then had a heated debate in which you complained about the shipping back to me. I told you to just send me the radio and I will pay for the shipping. That is the only time I got loud with you after, for the 3rd time, you accused my of tampering with it.
I them told him to send it back yet again and that I would change the CDM portion of the radio which controls everything. He stated he would change the radio harness which I told him would not make a difference.
Absolute LIES. I texted you to tell me how much was shipping because I was done talking to you. You texted me back "How is it?" I texted you still the same issues. You then called me. I told you that I bought a new harness just to make 100% sure that the issues weren't on my end. I then told you that I would contact you after I installed the harness with my results. You agreed that I would try the new harness first and then if that didn't fix it you would give me a new board.
Fast forward till today. He calls me saying someone else repaired the radio and is functioning well. He then says I accused him of fraud and cannot due further business. This is a complete insult to my integrity.
Your integrity? I will keep quiet on that. My sole reasons for calling you were because 1-I told you I would and 2-I thought that you would want to know what the problem was for the future of your business.
I offered to repair the radio at all circumstances. He even pulled out the "I'm a Christian" card and that everything was my fault.
I NEVER said that everything was your fault. I told you and the 1000's of people that have access to this post that I don't believe that you purposely sent out a bad radio, however the fact is I paid well for a product and did not receive what was promised. I did tell you that I was a 40 yr old man, married for many years, have 2 teenage children, am a Christian, and have been a member on this board for about 13 years with no incidents. I just wanted you to know that I have roots and that I wasn't a teenager or new to these cars.
I returned every call and every message from Doug.
Yes you did.
I did everything I could to make him happy.
Does this post sound like I am happy? I am glad that you didn't try to make me sad or frustrated.
The radio was 100% functional when I first shipped it.
That turned out to be not true.
The radio was 100% functional after I repaired the tamper damage the second time.
Again no it wasn't.
I can honestly say after 1000 + sales, this one has left a bad taste.
DITTO.

I will end this with some questions. Why are you even on this board? Because I gave you the link. I believed in you and posted that you appeared very knowlegable about these radios. How do you know my dimmer wire had an issue? Because I called and told you that I found one. Why did I call you the other day? Because I kept my word to you and wanted you to know what was wrong with the radio. How long did I let you keep my check? For about 10 days, so you would have no worries about it clearing, before you mailed the radio out. Have I ever asked you for a cent reimbursement or price deduction? NO. These are all the actions of a tampering scammer :rolleyes:

And lastly your logic is this: you sent out a 100% working radio. I then took it apart, left it apart, and then sent it back to you, paying another $16 for shipping. You then sent me another 100% perfect working radio (I offer to pay shipping) and then I send that working radio out to get diagnosed paying another $13 shipping. I then pay approximately another $200 for a new circuit board for my 100% working radio, that actually now works when I get it back from someone else. What do I gain from any of this?
Your logic is as good as your radio diagnostic skills:( .

Oh and Brian Harper contacted me and stated he had a problem with his PM's, so I take back my :(:(:('s and give him :D:D:D's now. Thank You.