Oil filter blew apart internally

oil filters sure have gone to crap lately.

lately? there was a webpage up in '04 or so that showed the guts of different oil filters for the same application... Frams (and the other cheap filters that are made by them and painted a different color) were the worst of the bunch back then- almost a decade ago- and are still the worst of the bunch.. oddly enough, the cheap Wal Mart Supertech filters were among the best..

the engine in my brother's 04 Cavalier died a premature death because he kept running Fram filters in it... those Ecotec motors use a cartridge type filter, and i saw 2 of them in a row that the media had collapsed on. on the last oil change i did on that motor, he brought me another Fram filter even tho i told him not to.. i changed the oil, and 100 miles later it had a bad rod knock... when i pulled the filter to check it, not only was the thing collapsed but there were large pieces of bearing material flowing right past the filter.. now maybe the motor was screwed no matter what, or maybe one chunk of something got loose, got past the filter, and blocked a passage and cut off oil flow to where it needed to be..

i put a new junkyard motor in it and installed a NAPA Gold filter.. checked it a few times and it never collapsed... i bought the car from him and drove it for a few months before borrowing it to a friend that needed a car for a few months.. it got 10,000 miles put on it and got 3 oil changes while i owned it, and the NAPA filters never collapsed.. i sold it to my 16 year old niece as her first car, and she hasn't had any problems with it since i sold it to her last june.

I really think that an after market, true cartridge race style filter is going to be a better choice in the long run over the canister style. your absolutly right Derrick, why do we continue to fight with this terrible stuff from china!

PF47 is an AC Delco number... i think the equivalent Fram is a 3387A..
a PF52 is the longer filter that was used on 4.3 S10's and LT1 powered Corevettes, Camaros, and Caprices in the 90's. the Fram interchange is 3980.

Ooops. I had a brainfart. I mentally equated POS Delcos with POS Frams. Neither one is to be used on a running engine.

I had to edit my post to keep the data accurate.

"Ooops. I had a brainfart. I mentally equated POS Delcos with POS Frams."

That $hit happens as you get older! :p
You are lucky. You can afford the good filters. Your job at the Walmart should afford some kind of discounts on car products....:D

I started a commercial account at O'reilly's using your address. Then slip a Wix in my pocket when they're looking it up.

and I still mentally equate Delco filter with Frams. They're in my 'shit's that's a boat anchor' folder. Much like the brick that keeps my jetboat trailer from rolling into my '72 dodge van) :p

If anyone needs a visual example.

AC Delco PF52 + Chris Hogeland Oiling System + 10W-30=

IMG_9024.jpg

IMG_9026.jpg

Mark, in the description it says $135, but in the drop down to select which one they say $160. Which is it? Very nice looking piece.

$160, they went way up in price, will have to fix site. They did a redesign of the case with cooling ribs and the cap.

No mention of K&N or Mobile 1 yet? When all these cheap filters went overseas years ago, most people on the boards switched to K&N or mobile. I stocked up on the old AC Delco (good) filters and ran out last week. K&N is on it now.

If anyone is experiencing chatter at startup, the anti-drain valve in the filter is either not working or it doesnt have one. This is hell on bearings.
Spend the extra money on a good filter and be done.

For throw away filters wix are the way to go. Some of the napa silver filters are the same as the gold but $2ea cheaper.

When I destroyed some K&N filter years ago, m233roller on turbobuicks had a history of oil filter failures. I think he is the same on this board.

Just to add to this discussion a bit regarding throw-away filters...

Several people have mentioned that Wix 51036 (crosses to AC PF52) is a good way to go, and they have mentioned that Napa Gold 1036 is the same filter. Wanted to mention that Carquest's "Blue" oil filter 85036 is also the same filter. Made by Wix in the USA, even shows the Wix logo on the box. Might be handy for some people - the nearest place that carried either Wix or Napa was pretty far away from my house, but Carquest was right down the street.

https://www.carquest.com/webapp/wcs...lters+by+Wix__10151_-1_10651_250109?acesApp=1

The only downside is that the filter body is mostly white, so it really stands out in the engine compartment, especially if you have a front-mount. Can't win them all I guess.

I'm still cheezed the Purealator changed their Pure 1 filters from cool looking metallic blue to ugly textured babyshit tan.