You can type here any text you want

Oil Filter question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tzque

I current have a PF -52 oil filter that came with the car, it was in the trunk new . .It has been leaking since I did the oil change . I have tightned it twice . I am just going to get new one . When I went to buy a new one it the book had pf47 as the oil filter for my car . I search the forum and I see alot of people use the Fram .
Is the PF47 the right filter or should I buy another pf-52 . Fram filters did not work on my other car so I am not a big fan . Which should I get

The PF52 is a longer filter
I've used them, never had problem leaking
Sure it not the oil pressure sensor above the pump they leak

Spray the area down with brake clean and start up the engine and look at the leak and see if its the filter or oil cooler adapter or whatever.

Ive been using the STP filters, as most others I have cut open dont look as well built.

Not to Hi-jack:

whats the opinion on using STP filters??

A.j.

STP filters I beleive are made by Champion Labs, they do make most OE and a
lot of other brand names filters as well, they are a good filter, Fram and Pennzoil are the same and made by Fram or now Honeywell if I recall which bought them from Allied.

Ron

Oil leak

When you changed the filter, are you sure that the rubber seal came out with
the filter.That seal can stick to the motor and now when you install a new
filter you have 2 rubber seals.That will leak everytime.
Good Luck,Forrest

I am going with the Wix do I get the longer one pf/57 or shorter pf47 /wix

the PF47 will work fine- a PF52 is better, and the Wix one that crosses over to the PF52 is the best readily available one you can get.
as for Fram- i know of a lot of vehicles thath ave lived long and happy lives with nothing but Fram oil and air filters, but other than the undercoating the spray on them to make them easier to remove, i'm not a fan of them. i haven't ever had any problems with them- but pick up a Fram in one hand and a Wix equivalent in the other, and the Wix feels much heavier. plus, it painted a nice black color that doesn't stick out in the engine bay like the orange Fram filter or blue AC Delco- it just looks cooler on the car.

If you cannot find Wix filters in your area, just go to NAPA and ask for their NAPA Gold oil filter. Same thing.
Conrad

Good Luck,Forrest

They do tend to stick! Got me one time & now I always check. Usually they are stuck on. Delco or Wix are both good & length is not all that crucial. I use the "bigger is better" way myself with all oil filters.

Good Luck,Forrest

i always hear about how this happens all the time, but in my 20+ years of screwing around with cars, i've never seen that happen. i've had filters that were so frozen on that i needed to literally take it off in pieces, but the oil seal has always come off.
of course, now that i've said that publicly on a forum that can be seen worldwide, the next filter i change will do that- i'd guess it will be my 97 Cavalier, since that filter is tucked down on the back side of the engine. or maybe the T Type, since it's right up front would be so obvious that i'd just overlook it and make a nice 15W-40 Delo puddle in the driveway..

Back