You can type here any text you want

Oil Pan Gasket

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtbraun

It seems a lot of previous posts recommend a cork style oil pan gasket. My local NAPA guy tells me that Felpro does not offer a cork oil pan gasket. They do offer a HP style that is rubber coated fiber material. Anyone used this gasket and how did it work out?

I have used the one from napa no with no issues . Cottons or rjc has the cork ones which have worked better for me .

Go cork, got mine from Kirbans. Went through 3 rubber gaskets. Cork one has been holding up fine for the past 2 years :cool:

I plan on going with cork, but does anyone know if Felpro carries a cork style? If so, a part number would be very helpful.

They cant sell them to you because they cant get em. From what I read they are custom made for kenny duttweiler and he distributes them through a couple vendors so you pretty much have to order them online.

Just got 2 cork ones from Nick Micale. Pretty sure Kenny D makes em and the rest sell em.

The best cork gasket I ever found out there was the Corteco #16527 but I think they are gone now. Glad I stocked up on them when you could get them from Mike at Full Throttle. Absolutely worked great!!

The cork require a few re-torques but seal well and are easier to deal with.

I had a rubber gasket that didn't line up with the dimples in the pan. Not sure how thats supposed to work..

Have had absolutely zero pan leaks without any gasket at all. The Right Stuff and torque the bolts once

Have had absolutely zero pan leaks without any gasket at all. The Right Stuff and torque the bolts once

I've always wondered about using no gasket and just the Right Stuff....my father in laws 98 Toyota Sienna doesn't use an oil pan gasket from the factory and it doesn't leak a drop.

I plan on going with cork, but does anyone know if Felpro carries a cork style? If so, a part number would be very helpful.

I sold Fel-Pro for 7 years never seen a cork one from them, although I did suggest it to them a couple of times. ;)

ROL gaskets

OS5755 cork oil pan gasket. I have used these successfully

I think oreilly might be able to get these for you.

If not contact Weber Racing. I know they usually keep them in stock tell them Jim PLiss from New School Performance sent you.

If that does not work let me know I believe I have 2 to 3 in stock at the shop and can send you 1.

No other coments on the cometic pan gasket.

I used the Cometic pan gasket once and mine still leaked. If you decide to go this route, I have another one, brand new and never used and still in the original shrink wrapped cardboard package, that I can sell you.

My current approach, which seems to be working (although it's too soon to draw a definitive conclusion) is to grind off the anti-crush bosses on the stock pan and use the cork gasket that RJC sells for his deep pan. The thought is that not having those extra 40 little holes in the gasket will give it a bit more sealing capability and strength.

If this approach fails, my next shot will be no gasket with silicone sealant only.

Keep in mind though, that I've had very poor luck with sealing my oil pan over the years. I'm on about the 10th try at this.

Never used the cometic

However I did see ROL had a newer version that looks more like a gasket with a molded in seal.

I might try one on my next build just to see how it works.

i've never changed an oil pan gasket, but need to fix an oil leak on mine. trying to figure it out. I notice a possible difference in effort required to replace the different gasket options. the one piece cork (or rubber) gaskets will require lifting the engine to completely remove the oil pan so the gasket can get around the oil sump tube. The two piece gaskets (cometic) or the "Right Stuff" approach might have an advantage in allowing gasket swap without fully dropping the engine pan, so eliminating the need to disconnect motor mounts, raise engine, etc.

of course lifting the engine and removing the pan gives you the ability to clean out pan and pick-up tube/screen, which is probably a good thing to do on old cars. i'm curious what other people think. disconnecting motor mounts and jacking up engine (if you don't have a hoist) is not very difficult, but i wonder how many times the trans pan will handle 500-600 lbs of lifting. this website suggests lifting engine will be required to remove/replace oil pan gasket during rear main seal replacement.

Back