You can type here any text you want

Oil priming twice?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Put the motor together at my shop now it is in about a month later. I just primed it with a drill at the shop got good pressure. Now that it is installed about a month later I can't seem to get the pump to pull the oil.

I didn't pack the pump but I have already primed it once?

Any idea's and I don't have an oil cooler. Should I just spin it fast again?

Thanks Brandon!

That is very odd. The oil pump should hold its prime. What filter do you have on the pump? It should have a anti-drainback valve to keep oil at the pump.

You may have to remove the pump cover and pack the gears to get a prime.

I primed mine
later installed the engine into the car with new remote filter (filled the filter)
Pulled the plugs and cranked the engine until I had 60 psi
No problems

I've taken the filter off the engine. probably why it flowed back. I will try to prime it again.

Thanks Brandon!

Mine lost prime after a month with a fresh engine (waiting for a tranny, changed oil in between). I did not prime it and it started dry for a few seconds, spun a rod bearing 40 miles later.
Definately prime it again!:)

For those of us that are ignorant, how does one prime the pump on these v-6's w/o a distributor to pull? Any link on this procedure? THX!!

For those of us that are ignorant, how does one prime the pump on these v-6's w/o a distributor to pull? Any link on this procedure? THX!!

The cam sensor is the oil pump drive. Pull the cam sensor out. I made a oil pump primer out of an old cam sensor. I cut the top of the sensor off and lathed down the oil pump drive and then put an extension on it to use in a cordless drill. Yeah I know, I got too much time on my hands.

Or you could just buy one from somewhere too.

make a primer out of whatever random distributor you find on a 231 or 4.1 powered car in the junkyard.

Definitely prime it again by the suggestions listed here. No sense in taking out a new motor because it was dry at start up. I primed mine for about 45mins before I started it just to make sure oil had been circulated throughout. Small insurance to enusure breakin.

Back