oil pump clearance

JSD69Vette

I read another thread that said you should hae .001-.0015 clearance in the oil pump.I'm reabilding me engine and just checked mine and I only have .002. I have a plate in it and had to stack two gaskets to get it so the pump would spin by hand. If I remove one gasket toget .001-.0015 I can't spin the pump.

Any thoughts?

I read another thread that said you should hae .001-.0015 clearance in the oil pump.I'm reabilding me engine and just checked mine and I only have .002. I have a plate in it and had to stack two gaskets to get it so the pump would spin by hand. If I remove one gasket toget .001-.0015 I can't spin the pump.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem when assembling my oil pump. I bought a steel wear plate and it turned out to be slightly warped so I could not turn the pump by hand. What I did was resurfaced the oil filter adapter housing so it was true. There is no critical dimesions for the pump cover just make sure it perfectly flat. Once I did that I measured the clearance and it turned out to be .002. The pump spun freely. Oil press. turned out to be 20psi hot idle with 10w-30. 70psi WOT. Im running a new stock GM timing cover, with the stock oil pump gears. You can buy a new oil filter adapter housing if you need one.

I guess if it was me I would just resurface the pump cover or buy a new one. Then check and recheck your clearances. Another option would be to call TA performance and ask them for some different thickness gaskets. That way you can set it right where you want it.

Ive heard lots of people say .0015-.002 max clearance for the oil pump.

Just my $.02

I had a similar problem with a wear plate being warped. A replacement plate solved the problem. I prefer to have the oil pump gears riding on a cast iron plate and not aluminum. Seems like every pump I disassemble has scoring on the aluminum oil pump adapter.

I beleive the Buick Motorsports book lists the desired oil pump
end clearance at .001- .0015

The TA performance gasket/shim kit is the nuts for adjusting this clearance

I didnt do any measurements when building my pump. I just put it all together and ran it. I have 40 psi on startup(idle) and 20 psi @ hot idle. Should I be worried?

As long as you have enough press. at WOT and idle I wouldn't worry about it.