You can type here any text you want

oil pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boosted nova

Would the oil pump clearance (.05-.010 over normal ) being to loose cause really low oil pressure (5-10 lbs) at idle.

It would contribte to low pressure but the bearing clearances would also be part of the equation. Oil weight itself also plays into it. Many factors but a poorly setup pump is definately part of them issue.

Had a oil pump problem, it lock up no oil for about 30 seconds before I caught it.Replace oil pump good oil pressure till it warms up then down to nothing at idle. Question is if i go get the crank fix (turned or polished) and new bearings (crank and rods), do you think the cam bearing will be OK. I am on really tight budget here just trying to get it run till I have time and money to get it rebuilt.

Timing cover look good, bottom plate was scared up but I took 600 grit and glass and sand down most of the scratches.

I have all ready performed the timing cover mods suggested in one of the treads. It has the melling HV oil pump installed. Was use 20-50w oil at first, no oil pressure at idle. Then I add some Lucas oil treatment now I got 5lbs at idle. Going to put in new bearings in the bottom end do you think the cam bearing are still good.

Would the oil pump clearance (.05-.010 over normal ) being to loose cause really low oil pressure (5-10 lbs) at idle.

We will need more info on the measurement you have listed for feedback.
(Axial, radial, gear lash, cavity clerance, etc)

I have all ready performed the timing cover mods suggested in one of the treads. It has the melling HV oil pump installed. Was use 20-50w oil at first, no oil pressure at idle. Then I add some Lucas oil treatment now I got 5lbs at idle. Going to put in new bearings in the bottom end do you think the cam bearing are still good.

There is something Wrong!! 20-50 with Earls mods makes an easy 20-25 Hot idle pressure & the Melling plate is not needed. Check everything again. I have done 4 stock covers & every one has at least 20 Hot idle & instantly 50-60 with a few thousand RPM. I run thin oil but my motor is fresh & every clearance is tight.
Now if the pump & cover are good then you definately have to start looking at bearings & who can say whats good until its apart & you at least show us some pics to look at. Good Luck!!

Took apart the motor this weekend mains wore trashed. Heres the bad news took it to the machine shop crank needs to go 30-30 bad, but it gets worse someone fix the trust plate once and did such a bad job welding it he don't think it is fixable. Need a new crank now and don't have money for a forge one. Thanks for all the help tho guys

bad crank

I have a crank (turbo) stock . It needs to be turned to 10 on them mains and 20 on rods with good thrust plate(meat) . I need to start getting rid of things I've collected for so long. I'll sell her cheap. Problem is shipping a crank may be pricy?

I had one shipped from Canada to Cali for $80 US years ago so probably $100 by now.
Package it SAFE!!!

Took apart the motor this weekend mains wore trashed. Heres the bad news took it to the machine shop crank needs to go 30-30 bad, but it gets worse someone fix the trust plate once and did such a bad job welding it he don't think it is fixable. Need a new crank now and don't have money for a forge one. Thanks for all the help tho guys

You can also get an NA crank cheap if your not running past the 11's altho some run the 10's with them. NO Detonation is the key along with a Good Builder!

gm turbo crankshaft

I just weighed the crank. 36 pounds with key. I started to grind down all casting marks, but decided to go with a stroker crank. I would turn the rods 20, the mains probably 10 under. The thrust area is perfect. This came from my 36000 mile gn engine, bone stock. Let me know if there is anything else you may need. $200 shipped

So I just got of the phone with machine shop guy today, yesterday he said he would see if his special guy had a crank for me. I called him to see what he found out and tell him to make sure it is a turbo crank . He then replies what is the difference, So I tell him about the the rods and main both having fillets on them. He Replies what is that. Time to start looking for a new shop. Plus I am going to get one from a member here. Thanks for all the help. Great people here.

Back