You can type here any text you want

oiling ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lee Thompson

Any of you thumb suckers ever tried reducing oil to the top of eng? If so --how and what were the results. This would apply to roller lifters and roller rockers.

The only way to reduce the oiling to the top end that I know of is to sleeve the lifter bores. If you use a 109 block it uses a different position for the main gallery, but both are right beside the right lifter bank. It would be a pain and you have to tell the machinist what exactly you want and he HAS to know v6 buicks.

Not on a roller engine,but yes on a flat tappit. Using the ruggles cam bearing mods. Both the GN's in my sig,no issues so far. I have a roller motor that I am putting together this fall and I will do the same thing.HTH

correct me if I'm wrong, but

Not on a roller engine,but yes on a flat tappit. Using the ruggles cam bearing mods. Both the GN's in my sig,no issues so far. I have a roller motor that I am putting together this fall and I will do the same thing.HTH

Doing the cam bearing mods (drilling smaller feed holes in the bearing) only reduces oil to the cam bearing journals--has nothing to do with the lifters or rockers.

Left bank of the engine is feed by the #1 cam bearing. I have the ruggles book around here some where,it sounded like a worth while mod so I did it.:)

true

Left bank of the engine is feed by the #1 cam bearing. I have the ruggles book around here some where,it sounded like a worth while mod so I did it.:)

Yes, you are right. But on a 109 block there is a groove in the block underneath the front bearing. So unless you filled the groove, you didn't restrict the oil to the left back. I have Ruggles book also, the book was bublished in the early 80's. All info in the one I have refers to a production 4.1 which has no groove. I guess I sdould have said cutting oil down to the roller rockers.

Yeah we are missing the point,I should've said NO:cool:

Some early 109's didn't have the groove in the block,that's why the cam has a groove in it. Later production 109's did and they had no groove in the cam jounrnal.

Any of you thumb suckers ever tried reducing oil to the top of eng? If so --how and what were the results. This would apply to roller lifters and roller rockers.

Yep, I did it.

I used the TA Crower shielded solid rollers with Smith Bros restricted push rods. ;) . Of course, I was using roller rockers. All this in my 109 block.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

There is another alternative Lee, weld up the hole in the side of the lifter body and then drill a .020/.030" hole.

I opted for the Smith Bros. pushrods.

My answer is in spite of being labeled as one of your "thumb suckers"!:D [Don't know about Billy though?:eek: ]

good info

Thanks for the replys. I have not seen or heard of anyone doing this. I did notice on a set of Harlan Sharpe rockers lately that there was a lot of oil coming up top. I was in to a bone stock eng. this past winter and very little oil was coming up top. Got me to thinking that here is a good place to cut down on oil. Should raise pressure some, I would think. I was thinking about JB welding up the hole in the adjuster screw, then drilling out to needed size.

Back