You can type here any text you want

Old 79 turbo project

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Utah Blaine

I have a 1979 Regal 231 that has been setting for about 15 years. I got the engine compartment cleaned of rat nests and vacuumed a bunch of varmint stuff from around the turbo. I'm going to get the water hoses replaced that the rats and mice have eaten, then the vacuum hoses and belts. After all this I want to try and start the engine. It ran 15 years ago so it should start.

Here are my questions: Is there any way crud could have gotten in the turbo? Can I start the engine with the turbo unhooked, turned of, etc.? How Do you unhook, disconnect or some way disable it?

Thanks for any help.

Replace all the hoses. Anything going to the turbo and all rubber fuel lines including the piece in the back of the car from the sender to the fuel line. Blow off all the crap that's on the top of the engine and around the exhaust manifolds. Make sure the float in the carburetor isn't seized, prime the engine with the distributor removed, and put some fresh fuel in and start it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you bison. When all the hoses and lines are replaced leave everything going to the turbo off, new gas and go. Got it, thanks again.

Thank you bison. When all the hoses and lines are replaced leave everything going to the turbo off, new gas and go. Got it, thanks again.
Nowhere did I say leave anything off the turbo. If you do that and still have the exhaust hooked up you will over boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back