You can type here any text you want

Old school DFI

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UR50SLO

The Reaper
Got a Old DFI off Lonnie Diers (Transmission guy)

Got a few questions for those who know the system... Looks like the factory ECM with a DFI harness.. .for the Turbo Buick Going on a 86 T-Type.

Is it a MAF based system?
I purchased a 3bar map to install.
Motor's a stock shortblock with pocket ported heads

TE63 turbo and a front mount.
Lonnie built 2004R trans with 2800lock up conveter.

What else should I know about the system?

I'm usto the FAST setup so this will be a learning experience..

THanks for any help,
Scott~

Its speed density and similar to the fast, but on a simple level. But don't let that fool you, when tuned with a wideband its better than you think it would run with such a simple computer:) You might even go faster...

Thanks.... :)

I've been told alot of people had good luck with the systems. It's my wife's T-Type and I'd like to get to learn another system other than FAST.

I do have a Innovative wide band that I will use to tune with (it's in my Nissan right now)

I'm sure I'll have more questions when It's about ready to run.

Thanks for the help!

Scott~

I have a program for a stock cam and pt54 and siemens low impedances 55's and pump gas. At least it should get you started, rather than washing the plugs after 5 minutes. ITs posted on here somewhere.

Not that it'd make too much of a difference on start up but I'm using a 208/208 cam and Green top injectors (42lb/hr) if I remember right...?

This was my wedding gift to my wife (bought as a total) and I've purchased alot of parts over the years and finaly have time and extra money to finish it for her... She's prity excited and so am I to not have this project hanging over my head...

I'm sure there's a setting for changing injector size in there like the FAST
Lonnie said it's a bit harder to work with than fast but has good results once the system is learned. I do like the wire harness.. very clean looking.. that's one of the big reasons I went this way... and it was inexpencive :)

Thanks again for the help...

Hopeing to start it up soon... had it turning over last night. Fininshing some of the other wireing today...
~Scott

UR50SLO said:
I'm sure there's a setting for changing injector size in there like the FAST

No, no injector size setting to change. You have to change the whole base fuel table instead. DFI6 doesn't calculate the injector pulsewidth like the FAST does, you have to tell it what pulsewidth you want. There's a whole table for that. That's one of the things that makes the old DFI less user friendly than the newer stuff.

If you were to take Norb's program for 55s and run it with your 42s, you will very likely be lean everywhere (since the 55s will require smaller injector pulsewidth than your 42s. Run the same pulsewidths with the 42s and you won't get enough fuel). You could take that program and increase every value in the base fuel table by a factor of 55/42 or 1.31 and get it close enough to start and to begin your tuning. Or, if you want, I can give you a table that ought to get you close enough to get it running and might be a good point to start your tuning from.

John

I'll have to take you up on that offer John.... Honestly I'm not sure what Lonnie had or has loaded in that computer... I'll check more into that when all the electrical stuff is hooked up.. I'm waiting for my last box of parts to arrive from Full Throttle. Then I can set my camshaft sensor and move on with final prep for startup.

E-mail the file when you have time to:

UR50SLO@aol.com

Thanks again for your help!!!!!

Ps... Green tops are 42lb/hr right?

UR50SLO said:
Ps... Green tops are 42lb/hr right?

I'm not sure. I think there are both 30 lb/hr and 42.5 lb/hr injectors that had green tops or rings. You probably ought to check the part number and positively ID them before you fiddle with the DFI.

Car isn't running now is it? Does the ecm have a matching chip? You might be able to tell for sure from that. A DirectScan log of the car running with the current injectors and ecm would go a long way towards getting a good startup program for your DFI swap. But I suppose that is not an option here...

Let me know when you positively ID the injectors and I'll send you something to try.

John

I would not run anything smaller than 55's on a dfi, as the low impedance injectors , i find seem to work better, even on a mild motor, as you can keep duty cycle's lower.

Injector PN

Hey.. I looked at the injectors here's the part number JDE,

Green on the entire top.. not just a ring.

One side reads:XL3V-A5A

Other side reads:120 150 558 ( I think that's the number needed?) :confused:

I do have a friend that's going to be upgrading from his 65's this spring so we'll swap when he's got his Hybrid Mustang up and running and ready for more fuel. (norbs)

So I'll need a program that's close to get this up and running. I'm getting close. My parts came in from Full throttle and are all on now and I think all the sensors are hooked up. Going to verify that I've got power and grounds where I need them. Wish I had a wire diagram for the DFI harness! THat'd be real helpfull...

Thanks again for your help guys... :D
Scott~

Great... Thanks alot... I'm hoping to have power to the system this week and be able to look around in there and figure out what is what. I'll save that to a flopy and load it in.

What size do you think my injectors are?

What size is the program for?

Approximate fuel pressure for startup? 40psi?

Thanks again~

Scott

Not sure on the injector siize you have, post it to the tech forum. The program is for 55's and a stock cam and a pt54. Also it not really tuned for over 15 psi yet, but its better than having nothing to start with. let me know how it runs.

UR50SLO said:
Hey.. I looked at the injectors here's the part number JDE,

Green on the entire top.. not just a ring.

One side reads:XL3V-A5A

Other side reads:120 150 558 ( I think that's the number needed?) :confused:

I do have a friend that's going to be upgrading from his 65's this spring so we'll swap when he's got his Hybrid Mustang up and running and ready for more fuel. (norbs)

So I'll need a program that's close to get this up and running. I'm getting close. My parts came in from Full throttle and are all on now and I think all the sensors are hooked up. Going to verify that I've got power and grounds where I need them. Wish I had a wire diagram for the DFI harness! THat'd be real helpfull...

Thanks again for your help guys... :D
Scott~

The injectors are 42lb'ers.
XL3V-A5A = Ford part number
120 150 558 = Bosch part number
Should have a lime, green color top to them. :)

THE CROW said:
The injectors are 42lb'ers.
XL3V-A5A = Ford part number
120 150 558 = Bosch part number
Should have a lime, green color top to them. :)

Thanks alot.. I have several recepts here for customer cars and my wifes car and couldn't rembember which one's I actualy used in her car!!!

I tried to use the lime colored ones with my Corona's but it just won't fit in the bottle! :D

Thanks again,

Scott~

Bigger problems.....

Ok.. decided to see if the old laptop tha came with the DFI worked... Guessing it crashed because it won't do much. :mad:

I need the program that runs that DFI. Is there a place to down load it on Accell's site?

Anyone on here have that version... on the manual it says version 6.0

on the back it has hand writing that says update to software 6.2...

Im not sure which one to use or if there is somthing else that's newer/better. :confused:

Also.. I don't have a cable to hook this up to the DFI box from a laptop.. Not sure if it got lost or never came with it.

Where do I hook it up at the ECM? There's a 4 or 5wire connector (flat) that might be the one ... then would that go to a serial port on my new laptop?

Sorry for all the questions hoping I can use this system.. :frown:

Thanks again,
Scott~

Ok.. got that loaded and need to be able to put those nice files you guys sent me into that program. I've tried dragg'n and dropin them in but they don't show up under the directory.

Accel runs on this new Dell so if I can get the programs into Calmap I should be good.

Help with the cable that attatches to the serial port is my next step.

I called DFI and they no longer support old stuff like this. I can get a serial port connector from radio shack and then make my own connector to the DFI but I'll need color / wire placements so I can solder it up and get it on-line with the ecm...

Thanks!!!!!!
Scott~

Ok.....

Got a set of 55lb'rs from a friend (they are flowed at 57.5) scribed on the side of each one. Guessing they would be 55's then.

We thought they were 65's but were proably wrong about that.

Waiting on some parts to actualy hook up the laptop to the ecm system.

Let you know what happens and if I get her running...

Thanks guys,

Scott~

Back