You can type here any text you want

OMG Insurance is killing me!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

macatoni

Buick Powered
I just got a quote from my insurance company for the TTA im buying. $5800 a year for full coverage!!!! In two years i will have paid more for insurance then the car itself. Bair minimum was $2900. Im going nutz over here. I am a 19year old male(which doesnt help) with a clean record, and to insure my 68' Camaro is $1750 a year full coverage!!! And my camaro has 475hp and does the 1/4 in mid 12's!!!! What the hell has the world come to, i need to find cheap full coverage or this might not work out!!!

Sorry for my rant,
David

Originally posted by macatoni
I just got a quote from my insurance company for the TTA im buying. $5800 a year for full coverage!!!! In two years i will have paid more for insurance then the car itself. Bair minimum was $2900. Im going nutz over here. I am a 19year old male(which doesnt help) with a clean record, and to insure my 68' Camaro is $1750 a year full coverage!!! And my camaro has 475hp and does the 1/4 in mid 12's!!!! What the hell has the world come to, i need to find cheap full coverage or this might not work out!!!

Sorry for my rant,
David

****Wow, a lot of it depends on where you are at of course. Here, near Washington DC, car insurance is also very high. A neighbors son got a great deal on a 20 year old Camaro recently, only to find he will be paying more than it's buying price in insurance every year!

That's just plain scary when you are paying 5k a year for full coverage on a nothing special 20 year old car!

I think insurance companies figure an 19 year old male with a fast car is a bad combination in terms of risk, and statistics bear that out.

Good luck finding something cheaper. Lots of people have a beater car, and some kind of low mileage policy on their "fast" car around here. I don't drive my GN much, and my daily driver is nothing special.

Good luck

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

Its BS! But hey its there for a reason. I have had my Camaro for three years now without a single accident or moving violation. It just doesnt count for anything i guess. I live in Oakland which is a fairly high priced insurance zone(i assume, in camparison to San Fransisco right accross the bay...). Yes its a fast car from the 80's and of course its the fastest f-body availible that year and thats probably all they see.
Now i was gonna purchase the car and i still am but it looks like if i insure it under my mom's name and she is the "primary driver" the insurance will drop to $1500 full coverage. Take it she is in her 50's and has been driving a lot longer then i have. So i hope that works because then ill be able to eat every night instead of making my insurance company filthy rich...
David

collector insurance shhould help a lot. Can't drive it everyday, but hey u cant have ur cake and eat it too..

Thats what I did as a young man and owning a show car/race car. I had it under my Dads name til I was 25 and got classic insurance for it..

high insurance

Hi,
Sorry you guys are getting bit by the nasty insurance demon, no easy solutions until you reach 25. I was quoted at 1200 a year for a 69 Torino Cobrajet 428 when I was 18, blew the deal right there! However, I bought a Falcon, jacked the running times into the 12s, and the State farm Agent thought it was great! As I remember,liability cost me 300 for that car back then....

insurance

.... wow.. I hope to hell the US - Australian Free trade agreement does not get the blood sucking US insurance companies the key to our local industry.

.. I have a 89 tta on full cover for value of (in US$ for simplicity sake) about US$25,000 and thats costing about US$500 a year, limited to 8,000 miles a year.
Also a 84 Indy Fiero.. valued at US$7000 for US$270 .. same miles.
A brand new Toyota HiLux 2005 new v6 4 ltr top of the line job extra cab for US32,000 daily driver part business for US$700.
Wifes 2001 Voyager, daily driver unlimited etc full coverage valued at US$27000 for US$1000
Age over 25yrs.. location ... in an area away from down town.. much like Freemont is to San Fransisco or Gathenburg is to Washington / or.. Pontiac is to michigan.. ..
We could NOT afford insurance that expensive.. how the hell do you guys do it... They are just ripping into you... just because you enjoy a good car.. does that give them license to kick you in the head... Its completely WRONG.. after all they can send you off to a foreign war with millions of dollars worth of amour and Humvees and tanks.... and you might not come back.. .. but will not stand by those same young men/women with their locally made street car.... "because they are a liability".... yerr right!!!

.. just does not add up...

I forgot how much I paid on my last TTA but I just called to add full coverage to my 92 Z28 and they want 738.00 for 6 months.
I told them to get bent.

Well, consider becoming a 68 year old mom then if you think car insurance is too high. My mom pays like $340 a year to insure her newish Saturn, full coverage, rental reimbursement, etc.. Of course, she hasn't had a ticket in like 40 years, or as far as we know, killed anybody on the highways doing 50 mph in the right hand lane...

I guess she's considered low risk.. I let her drive my GN once, and she said it was too fast for her, and that she hopes I am not speeding in it.. :)

Mom: Billy, what are all of those gauges and that laptop in the car for?

Billy: It lets me know how the car is doing. Makes sure the car isn't overheating, or wasting too much gas. It's mostly for safety and piece of mind.

Mom: Oh good. Safety is important..

Billy: (silence)

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

Bwahahaha! Safety is VERY good...!

I only have liability for all three of my cars, the GTA and the Grand Prix are listed as daily drivers, and the TTA is listed as 'recreational'. I pay 700-something for six months. It would be higher if I elected full coverage, of course. 28, married, stable job, no accidents. I don't know exactly what full coverage would cost me, though.

Back