On car injector cleaning?

FWIW, cleaning pintle style injectors requires back-flushing. You can't do that with fuel rail cleaners since they only flow out of the injector.

Back-flushing is done off the car, where you put the injector into a solvent solution, pulse the injector at a high speed while applying high power ultrasonic action, and clean the injector by breaking down deposits at the pintle entry. These injectors respond very well to ultrasonic back-flushing.

Disc injectors are pretty much self-cleaning, unlike the pintle (Bosch) design.

Napa wanted about $350 for the kit, I would LOVE to just get one of these old hoses that every one talks about like the ATR one. This should be a simple project but its hard to track one down.

Napa wanted about $350 for the kit, I would LOVE to just get one of these old hoses that every one talks about like the ATR one. This should be a simple project but its hard to track one down.

take it from John--------in car injector cleaning is a 99% waste of time and money---------i too bought one of those ATR hoses------(sometime around 1995)--------never worked good at all--------couldn't stop it from leaking it was so poorly made--------then i got one from a supplier i don't remember that was made by 3M--------they usually make good stuff-------i never could really tell if it helped or not but it made me feel good anyway-------then they stopped making the cans of cleaner and the threads were different from the NAPA unit so i then bought the NAPA unit--------could never tell it really did anything either but it did come in a fancy kit that even included a fuel line crimper (fancy locking pliers)---------then i bought one from OTC-------i have to say it appears to be the best "on car" unit i have seen-------hooks up to air line and really seemed to make sense till one year at Bowling Green I saw Johns ASNU machine-------once you see what that does you will quit wasting your time even thinking about on car cleaning--------it makes as much sense as on car tire retreading---------just my opinion but i felt so strongly about it that i bought my own ASNU machine as well as another brand made by New Age (the New Age is so complicated and fancy that i rarely use it)------i am a total believer--------bench cleaning ultrasonically and then actually testing for leakage and flow rate is the only way to go---------majority of the time these machines can make old injectors as good as new and you can have total confidence in the injectors before you go to the bother to reinstall them----------another opinion is that it is so much trouble to remove the injectors from a 84/85 that once you get them out you might as well replace them with something slightly larger anyway..............RC................by the way if you really want one of those useless ATR hoses drop me a line and if i can still find it i will send it to you

Hi Richard, I tried to send this as a PM but your box was full :biggrin: so... this is what I was going to send.

Hi Richard,

I appreciate your write up in the thread along with all the others, I like all the input from everyone and I have no doubt that taking them out is the best way to get them clean. I have put larger proper / test and flowed injectors on two of my cars. I was looking more for just an upkeep / spring cleaning maint. for them. I felt this was more effective then dumping a bottle of cleaner in the tank as it would directly hit the injectors. I would be interested in that hose from ATR if you locate it, As I said I would never argue that this way is the best way to clean them but more just a yearly light cleaning upkeep deal for my cars. It would take less time to do this then pull injectors from all of my Buicks. Thanks again! -Adam