Opinion, don't laugh! GN drive train in a Chevette.

TiClone

I'm considering options to go after the import/compact crowd.

I'm throwing ideas around about putting a GN long block, turbo (not sure what series yet) GN ECU/wiring harness, GN intercooler and turbo 300 trans into a Chevette.

Has this been done or anything close to it?

What do you think the pros/cons would/could be.

I think the long block and trans will fit!

Let me know what you all think. And don't blast me tooo bad, cause once I get it going I'll need more tech advice.

Thanks fellas! :D

There is a guy on here thats is/was doing an LC2 swap into a geo metro (actually I think hes going with a diff engine now that I think about it).

Anyway, IMO its gonna be a handfull to keep straight with such a short wheel base if you run moderate to big hp. On the other hand chevettes are just about free so if you wad one up and survive then swap the driveline over to another and have at it again. ;)

i think hot rod mag, did a caddy 472 into a shoveit. ran low 11s i thought................... ditch the 300 trans. 400 t.h. would hold

Several years ago I found a web site where a guy was actually selling kits to convert Chevettes to early 3.8 turbos (carbed) from the 78-83 turbo regals. Supposedly the whole drivetrain would fit under the stock hood with no mods so it was the ULTIMATE sleeper. I think he said they were running deep in the 12's STOCK. I think you would have to upgrade the rear-end for such a combo to even survive one full throttle stab.

Originally posted by TiClone

I'm throwing ideas around about putting a GN long block, turbo (not sure what series yet) GN ECU/wiring harness, GN intercooler and turbo 300 trans into a Chevette.
Has this been done or anything close to it?

Been done.
The stock rear end will last about 3.8594 secs with anything in the way of sticky tires.

If a street bruiser, use the 200.
Tires, and rear suspension will be issues.

Light while good, makes for poor engine loading, and lack of EGT, at initial throttle up. Tuning with be a really critical item, depending on how seriously fast you want to go.

I'll stick to watching someone drive a beast like that.......

Would think you would need some frame connectors or roll bar to stiffen the body up. Look what our engines do to a full frame Regal's body. (i.e. cracks on the rear pillars)

Hey, I've seen big block Chevette pro street cars so anything is possible.

Even saw a local guy who put a small block Chevy in a Yugo of all things.

Was it a Chevgo or Yugovy? I thnk I would go for the slightly larger Monza for the 3.8 swap. There is an old Dastun 240Z down the street from me that's in good overal shape and I have thought about putting a turbo 3.8 in that.

I appreciate the comments and ideas! Please keep them coming!

A speed shop in my area has a shortened ford 9" that they "say" can be fitted to a Chevette. A full roll cage and subframe connectors are in the plans.

The reason I'm considering the 3.8L is it should hopefully meet the max. displacement/one power adder requirements for some of the outlaw compact/import classes. I'm still checking on that though.

I'm also thinking of using a progressive alky setup and multistage boost controller. I hoping to get out of the hole to a 1.5-1.6 60' and if the car hooks decently bring on more HP on the top end.

And yes I expect it to be one hell of a ride!

The goal is low 11s to high 10s consistantlyon pump gas!

Can it be done?

I'd imagine the Buick Opel would be more expensive to buy, but that's a thought.

Anyone running a combo similar to that in an Opel?

That would be hilarious, and pretty much a sleeper. Those things can't weigh much at all.

I'm building that Geo Metro. My car is all tube chassis now, the only Geo parts left are the outer skin and the dash. It's still an LC2 but just may get a Stage 1 motor. I had a TSM type motor in my GN but sold it so I opted to upgrade a bit, although not much.

As far as being able to track straightly under that much power, we'll see. I suggest strongly doing some roll bar / chassis upgrades along the way.

I'd be happy to give you any advice if anything is applicable. Just be prepared to be up to your neck in details on ANY swap. It's not intimidating but just takes time to nail all the details. With you doing most of the labor and some hired help (welding mostly with some machining possibly) it's a very do-able endeavour. I enjoy the heck out of working on my car between work, the house and kids.

Part of the inspiration of this project comes from a Kinsler fuel injected BBC Chevette I saw at Street Machine Nationals years ago. I really like the powerful motor, small car idea. My first conversion vehicle was a 1982 Toyota 4X4 with a carburated 4 barrel turbo Buick V6. My older brother and I did that in 1985.

Do it, you'll have fun and it will mean a heck of a lot more to you than if someone else did it.

Roger

Do it! double check those rules, though. would they consider alky a power adder? And I suppose if there's displacement issues, you might be able to scale down to a 3.1 or 2.8.

One thing I considered would be something like a Quad4 (turboed?) in a Chevette or a Fiero or something like that?

Let us know how it goes & I say go with the 200-4R

I say go for it. I'm doing about the same with my 73 Vega. Hotair setup with a TA-60, MSD 50's, 3200 stall, narrowed 8.5 with the 3.42's, 200-4R, ported manifold, Motion Perf. traction bars...the WORKS. Dare to be different and keep it dead quiet.;)

One thing I considered would be something like a Quad4 (turboed?) in a Chevette or a Fiero or something like that?

A Fiero is heavier then you think. They have so much invested in that safety cage and such that they are pretty heavy for their size.

The quad-4 thing has been done, its not much in the way of performance. The real pound pavers are the Archie Fieros. He has done hundreds of swaps. Throw a SBC 350 in your Fiero - now you got torque to get it moving!

http://www.v8archie.com

Take a look at Warber's (may he rest in peace) purple 355 FI Chevy Fiero.

http://www.v8archie.com/warberfs.htm

Pretty fun toy, except that 10 gallon gas tank doesn't last very long at 450hp.... :D

Hey guys thanks for comments! Keep em' coming!

I think, I think, I'm pretty committed to a turbo chevette. And that's mostly for the initial purchase cost of the car, weight and the ability to use a pretty much bullett-proof drive train (ie. trans/rear) for the horsepower we are going to make.

The only concern is the displacement max.

:D

As NASHTY can attest to, the "Hybrids" section over at www.turbobuicks.com can be a lot of help with LC2 swaps. They've been put into almost everything (check out the list at the top of the section). I'm not sure mine qualifies as a hybrid in the usual sense because almost all street rods are hybrids when it comes to drivetrain parts.

Originally posted by SinistrV6
As NASHTY can attest to, the "Hybrids" section over at www.turbobuicks.com can be a lot of help with LC2 swaps. They've been put into almost everything (check out the list at the top of the section). I'm not sure mine qualifies as a hybrid in the usual sense because almost all street rods are hybrids when it comes to drivetrain parts.

Hey, sent you a PM!:)