You can type here any text you want

Opinions on best "Bang for the Buck" mods you've done

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dr. Jeckel

I've spent over $2,500 on the car since I got it about 3 months ago and have to stop alot of the spending but would like to know of some inexpensive ways to get a few extra horsepower out of it. I can't spend alot of money and I know alky is awesome but out of my price range right now.
Looking for mods under $100 or for free:)

Any and all opinions are welcome!!!

A few cheap things you can do:

Power plate-$60
Port the intercooler necks--Free if you have a dremal tool
Weight reduction is free, and can make the car faster with the same amount of power. You can remove:

Front Sway bar-about 35 lbs
Spare Tire and Jack-atleast 50lbs

That is about 100lbs there, that would = about 1 tenth/ 1 mph in a 1/4

HTH :)

Removed the sway bar last night....It was alot heavier than the one off my LS1 and affected the ride more than my TA too.
I'm lucky.....my car didn't have a spare when I got it :rolleyes:

Are there any little mods that will help lower the knock retard besides raising the octane and expensive stuff.
I know I could just turn down the boost (for all the smart a**es out there) ;)

Turn down the boost before that $100 is only a small deposit on a rebuilt motor. Do a little research on the alky section. You can put together a DIY kit for a little over $100 and it is the best mod you can do to a street car. My car never ran fast on pump gas. I put the alky kit on and it picked up over a second in the 1/4 and about 7 miles per hour, and this was on a fairly stock setup.

Now I'm pushing over 400 hp and 545 torque on pump gas. Nothing like running high timing and 24 lbs of boost on pump gas.

Originally posted by Dr. Jeckel

Are there any little mods that will help lower the knock retard besides raising the octane and expensive stuff.
I know I could just turn down the boost (for all the smart a**es out there) ;)

As blackshoebox mentioned get an RJC AD Power Plate http://www.rjcracing.com/RJC_Buick_Products/RJC_A_D__Power_Plate/rjc_a_d__power_plate.html...... It will help eliminate KR (especially transitional KR that you may get on the shift) and for $60 you can't go wrong!

From what I saw...it was about $200 for a quality system if you built it yourself. Alky is great and I plan to do it, just not right now...I've read a WHOLE lot about it and am excited, but I have to wait.
I think I am going to port the IC necks and do the power plate. Is the precision plenum worth the extra $100? I'm all about matching things but am doubtful to the price vs performance it would have. I might port the stocker a bit efore I would spend the money one a new one.

Search for $75. I know there was a thread in this section a while back about best buys for $75 and under.

if you still have the stock IC one of the BEST cheap mods is a Dutt neck IC mod. for a 12 second car its all you need.

besides the power plate its prolly the most bang for the buck!

Is the precision plenum worth the extra $100? I'm all about matching things but am doubtful to the price vs performance it would have. I might port the stocker a bit efore I would spend the money one a new one.

At your level I would just get the Power Plate for the stock plenum cause from what I've seen the Precision Plenum won't help unless you have a faster car (high 10's or faster) and even that seems to be debated......

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I am going to fab a better ic scoop, as mine is very tore up and flimsy, too. I think porting the plenum would probably mess up the flow dynamics of the plate after thinking about it and looking at the different plate designs for different plenums.
Where can I get the neck at? Who would I have to get to put it on?
If you have anymore ideas...just keep them coming!!!

Thanks!!!

Where can I get the neck at? Who would I have to get to put it on?
If you have anymore ideas...just keep them coming!!!

Thanks!!!

if you look hard enuff you can get then from a board member for about a 150 with the neck installed. click the link in my sig and Nick Micale will set you if you cant find one for sale here.

Dathan

Box your rear control arms and go with the urethane bushings.
Bushings $75
I got some flat steel from Sears hardware for the boxing and welded it myself. $8 I know HR-Parts sells boxing kis cheap too.
Now my GN doesn't wheel hop when I get on it and doesn't have that squirley feeling when you go over bumps.
Tarey D.
Another cheap mod. so your car doesn't get stolen is put a switch somewhere to cut the power to your fuel pump. No fuel, No start.
Car stays around a lot longer ;)

LOL-

the thread from the lounge-
go to costco and buy 48 packs of ramen soup, after 1 month of that you will be skinny and have more money to spend on the car:o

you will spend about 8 bucks and have money left over:D

I agree. It was the biggest seat o the pants gain on my GN for sure..

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
if you still have the stock IC one of the BEST cheap mods is a Dutt neck IC mod. for a 12 second car its all you need.

besides the power plate its prolly the most bang for the buck!

how about free mods?????
1. The ceramic resistor on the stock cooling fan can be jumped out, this allows the fan to run on high any time it is energized and with out it you also shed amps off the electrical system.
2. Remove and cap/loop the coolant lines going to the TB.
3. Remove the rubber seal that goes across the cowl, that the back of the hood rests on. This will help evacuate the heat out of the engine compartment.
4. Gut the cat
Lower price mod/bang for the buck
For sure get the Power Plate...no doubt...get it!!! All around different car. This will help any other mod esp the alchly.

Well I made my own ic scope last night out of sheet metal. I made it the same dimensions as the old rubber one but extended a little over 1ft forward. I now need to get black paint because it is huge and shiny and looks like sh**, but it should flow plenty of air:D
Well I already removed the rubber under the cowl(after about the first week)...I've got the test pipe and I'll do the coolant bypass this weekend perhaps.
I think I will do the powerplate and then the dutt neck.
When I get tires and even some amount of traction then I'll start with the suspension and as for the ramen noodles....I'm already pretty skinny, atleast I think 175 is skinny enough for 6' tall :)

Thanks for all the ideas guys. You've helped me and increased my knowledge.

I'm already pretty skinny, atleast I think 175 is skinny enough for 6' tall :)

Thats funny...I'm 5'6" and I weight more then you do!!!!

Back