You can type here any text you want

Outran a trailered car at the dragstrip!

• Thread starter Thread starter Fred 86 GN
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
F

Fred 86 GN

In the staging lanes at the track I see that an orange Maverick with slicks, skinnies, and no exhaust pulls up next to my car. Luck would have it that we end up at the tree at the same time. We do our burnouts -- he does a deafening big burnout while I do a small, quiet burnout to put just a little heat into the 8" M&H DOT tires. We stage, I bring the boost up a couple pounds, he brings his engine up to several thousand rpm. I am thinking I need to tree this guy to have a chance, so I leave a tick early (.450 light, but still a red light). He cuts a .560 light so I just have a fender on him out of the hole. His slicks let him catch up right away. As my second gear revs out, I hear him revving the daylights out of his small block right there beside me. Then I hear a "BOOM" and the GN grabs third. Mr. Maverick falls back immediately and continues to slow. I beat him! (Well, technically I red lighted and he did coast all the way down the track, so by the rules I guess he won...).

Whatever he blew up drained all over the track and they were down about 30 minutes cleaning it up. He was trying awfully hard with his RACE car to beat this little 12-second Buick GN that drove to and from the track. :D

What? you think a Maverick would be running that fast with a small block Ford?.................J/K..............LMAO

Good kill.

I did the same thing with a high 11sec mustang with a roots blower on top of a 302. He broke about 3/4 track and I barely went by him at the end................LOL

I ran into a nasty-sounding, late-60s, Camaro two years ago. Fresh off of the trailer with open headers, crazy paint scheme, huge cage, and a huge sheet metal intake sticking out of his hood. Spanked him hard with a 12.20something to his low 13!! :eek: Needless to say, he was pissed.
Perhaps he was working out the suspension with his backup motor; Maybe he usually sprays; Maybe he just got beat.......... point being: Trailered cars are so much fun!! :D

To take nothing away from your story...I will tell you that I trailer my Cobra to the track every single time I go. Every time. If you run better than high 11's/low 12's (very common for a great many folks here), then you will have beat me, too.

Why do I trailer? Because you never, ever know when you'll break something. If you're pushing your car as hard as you can, and you are running on sticky tires, then the chance of breakage is a distinct reality. Add to that the fact that the closest track to me is almost 2 hours away, and that I race literally all over the eastern half of the U.S., and it gets easier to see why.

With all that said....I drive my Cobra 60 miles back and forth to work every single day. I trailer because if I break, I know I'll still get home. I also tend to drive harder with the trailer sitting back in the pits. :)

PS....I used to drive my 88 Coupe to the track all the time....and often pulled a trailer to the track with it. Ran a best of 10.92 @ 126 on pump gas and 8 psi thru Incon TT's....in the exact same condition that it was in when I pulled off the street. Doesn't mean it was a smart thing to do....LOL. :)

Sweet Kill Fred 86 GN! :)

Bob Cosby.... I agree... things happen.

Miguel

Miguel,

Hey, if you're up for the track this weekend, a few of us Queens boys are going to E-town Sunday morning...
Just a warning ;)

Erik

I was actually going to go to a BBQ on Sunday. But... I will be there Friday :)

Thanks for the warning guys ;) :)

I never see you guys there? I'm there all the time.

Take care...

Miguel

Miguel,
I think you must be going on all the wrong nights ;)
I only have off on Sundays, so I don't get to the track as often as I used to do.

Erik

Back