You can type here any text you want

Overheating ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WhiteTtype989

Car just had some work done to it 87 ttype precision fmic , gn1 heads , bigger turbo ,stall etc, now on the scanmaster im getting cooling temps of about 215 - 232 is as high as i saw it is this considered overheating or somewhat normal its about 80 degress around here and im sure the front mount doesnt help any suggestions ? If i was to change thermostats to a 160 it wouldnt mess with my chip would it ?

Actually at idle the thing is cooler about 190 ish range its when I start driving is when i start to see the higher temps. Could this be because of the fmic ? Fans are working .

I'm running pretty close to the same set-up. I use a 160 stat, an F-body aluminum rad. and on the hottest day at the track it will get to 175 on the return. I had a stock style radiator and the temps were at what your running now. The F-body rad lowered the temp by 20-25 degrees! 120.00 dollars at Autozone, I had to make an oil cooler though. Phil

Actually at idle the thing is cooler about 190 ish range its when I start driving is when i start to see the higher temps. Could this be because of the fmic ? Fans are working .

Sounds like it's time for a new radiator. Go with a aluminum.You should already have a 160 therm.If not then change that too.I had the same cooling issues until I replaced the raidiator.Cool runner now.

sounds more like an airflow issue to me- the fans keep it cool at low speeds, but there isn't enough air getting crammed thru the core at highway speeds.
make sure all the oem air dams and baffles are in place to direct all the air that goes thru the grille opening goes thru the rad core and that no air from anywhere else is getting into the engine bay at speed.

I have near the same setup and mine can run with A/C on and get stuck in traffic and will only hit 181. RamCharger's dual fans, FMIC, 160 stat, F-body radiator. I am in southern NM where it does get hot too.

Gonna go with an fbody radiator 433918 az part # . im not running a oil cooler but will i need any adapters or anything for the trans cooler ?

Trans cooler adapters, maybe just one if you are going with an exteral with the factory radiator cooler too. The lower line is mounted below the lower radiator hose in the F-body radiator instead above it but the line still fits no problem.

Hmm no I dont have an external cooler is it a good idea to run one ? If i dont run one can I just bend the lines to fit the fbody radiator or do i still need adaptors ?

f body radiator

I'm running pretty close to the same set-up. I use a 160 stat, an F-body aluminum rad. and on the hottest day at the track it will get to 175 on the return. I had a stock style radiator and the temps were at what your running now. The F-body rad lowered the temp by 20-25 degrees! 120.00 dollars at Autozone, I had to make an oil cooler though. Phil

you got a part number for that (Autozone) thanks.

When they say F-body what car is that, and what year? Also is it aluminum, with plastic tanks, or what? Thx for the part#

No I don't have the part #. It is for a 91 Camaro with a V-8 auto trans. The radiator is aluminum with pastic tanks, 90% drop in minus the engine oil cooler. I made an oil cooler and lines Earl's cooler with AN fittings and braided line. You can check Autozone.com for the #. Phil.

It is always a good idea to run an external cooler for the trans. Heat kills. The lines will have to be moved slightly to fit the F-body radiator but not bent. If you run an external cooler, tweak the line sideways to get the hose adapter on and you won't have to worry about kinking the line and you can return to stock at any time.

Part number is a #433918 for the radiator.

Hmm no I dont have an external cooler is it a good idea to run one ? If i dont run one can I just bend the lines to fit the fbody radiator or do i still need adaptors ?

yea I figured external was the way to go .So going external completly eliminates using the radiator as a cooler , in other words the lines from the cooler go directly to the lines coming from the tranny and the radiator is just used for coolant correct ? But now do use the rubber lines that come with the cooler I need an adapter is so anyone have part #'s

I run mine thru the radiator cooler first and then to the external cooler so that the trans fluid in the radiator will at least warm up at the same rate the engine does. External just helps cool a little more before it heads back to the trans.

Doesn't hurt to run only external, just a personal choice.

do the 86-87 cars use an air deflector under the radiator support like the older cars do? if not, try adding one before throwing $$$ at a radiator that might not fix the problem. it will create a low pressure area in the engine compartment and direct more air up thru the rad core.
i only mention this because the front mount probably got rid of all of the stock baffling that directs the air thru the core at speed.
i'm cheap and poor, but i'd rather spend $5 at a junkyard and actually fix a problem than spend $200 and not fix it.

It is there but is cut out for the factory intercooler. That is a good idea to at least install one of those to eliminate that as a problem area. I should do that to mine since I have an almost mint one in my storage unit. Cheap easy "fix" if that is his problem.

I'm running exturnal coolers for the oil and trans. My tranny just burnt up so I had to order a new one for the tranny I decided to get one with a fan this time.

Back