Painting Chrome Grille

WhiskeyGN

I've got this funny lookin' chrome grille on the front of my GN. Anyone got a good way to paint this thing?
419095_10150619172929001_521679000_9300911_1441791404_n.jpg

Paint doesn't stick to chrome the best but it does work decent enough as long as you prep it properly. Sand with 80-120 paper, spray with etch primer, prime, sand primer with 400 grit and paint. I've been painting for 15 years and have never had a piece of chrome come back peeling as long as you sand the living crap out of it and use etch primer and actual primer.

i just sanded, primed, painted, and put clear over my old one...came out decent...better than the rest of the car at least :mad:..itd probably be cheaper to get the 87 grill..they look way better imo

Just go find and buy the right grille.

All the work and money you will put into painting the one you have will peel off in 1 or 2 years at best.

Sorry The Government and highboostgn, it won't last.

I've been at this game for a while too.

If all the chrome plastic laminate isn't gone completely it's gonna peel, etch primer or not. If there is ANY laminate left, it will eventually peel because you have compromised the integrity of the laminate adhesion.

Whiskey, perhaps you should try washing it occasionally, that would be a vast improvement! ;)

Just find and buy the right grille.

All the work and money you will put into painting the one you have will peel off in 1 or 2 years.

Sorry highboostgn, it won't last.
oh doesnt bother me, I sold the car and have an 87 now lol

Here's a stupid question,.... Are you sure you actually have an 87, or could it be an 86?? What color are your door pull straps??

Judging by the pic...sand the grill lightly, rub with a tac cloth, wash the rest of the car, tape of lights and windows, and spray the ENTIRE thing...:p:p:p

haha yea coach that was the plan to paint the WHOLE thing at once. I thank Dad every for him NOT putting a car cover on it the past 15 years it was sittin' in the garage before I bought it, covered in overspray.

Interesting: you've got 86 fixtures on what seems to be an 87. Leads one to wonder how much of the rest is non original.

Not sure off hand. The only thing the concerns me about originality is the car being black. If you didn't modify cars, there would be no point in being a motorhead.

haha yea coach that was the plan to paint the WHOLE thing at once. I thank Dad every for him NOT putting a car cover on it the past 15 years it was sittin' in the garage before I bought it, covered in overspray.

If it is overspray, rub it out and try buffing and a claybar. It mught bring it back better then you think.

For the overspray, try a "Speedy Surface Prep" from S.M Arnold, Inc.

Absolutely an AMAZING product.

Works just like a clay bar in half the time. My team uses them daily and just loves them.

They are pricey @ about $50 a pop, but we can use them on at least 75 vehicles before they even begin to wear out. You can use them on paint, glass, plastic and chrome.

I'm telling you, you WILL NOT be dissapointed in the performance of these towels, and no, I don't work for the company that makes them. o_O

We've seen the "before" pic, I'd love to see an "after" pic if you try one of these. It'll prove what I'm saying.

I'll give it a try. I gotta check and see what Pops has for body stuff, it's more or less gonna be him "sponsoring" the paint resto lol

Guys don't be surprised about mis-matched parts. People do it all the time and don't really value the cars we have. There's a ton of people that go to junkyards or wherever to get parts that will cross-fit. Just like putting in plastic radiators instead of quality aluminum replacements. :D

But back on topic, painting chrome plastic doesn't work too well. I think replacement grilles are around $200??

Peter