Painting Chrome Grille

That's an 84-86 grill. Looks to be in good shape. My advise is sell that one (cause they don't make them anymore) and go buy a 87 reproduction. I don't know where your at, but I'd give ya $100.00 for it. Chrome is starting to flake off around the Buick on my 84.

Just go find and buy the right grille.

All the work and money you will put into painting the one you have will peel off in 1 or 2 years at best.

Sorry The Government and highboostgn, it won't last.

I've been at this game for a while too.

If all the chrome plastic laminate isn't gone completely it's gonna peel, etch primer or not. If there is ANY laminate left, it will eventually peel because you have compromised the integrity of the laminate adhesion.

Whiskey, perhaps you should try washing it occasionally, that would be a vast improvement! ;)

There is a chance it will peel but I've done it a lot and have yet to have a comeback. I've also done it to my own Regal t and so far no peeling in the last 4 years. though i do agree he should just get a new grille, the time and effort to prep and pain his old one is a few hours at best. Why not give it a try and save some cash is he wants. If it peels he can buy a new one then. Nothing to loose but a few bucks on supplies.

Why not give it a try and save some cash is he wants. If it peels he can buy a new one then. Nothing to loose but a few bucks on supplies.

I completely disagree! If it peels the grill is lost and can't be used for its intended application. If it's in good shape the best thing to do is clean it up, sell it (86 grills are just too hard to come by), and put the procedes towards an 87 grill (which are quite plentiful).

I'm saying if he doesn't plan to sell it. Of course if he plans on selling it that would be dumb. If someone is thinking about painting something like a chrome grill, it generally means they don't want to sell it and don't really care about it. At least that what I would do if I didn't care about it.

I completely disagree! If it peels the grill is lost and can't be used for its intended application. If it's in good shape the best thing to do is clean it up, sell it (86 grills are just too hard to come by), and put the procedes towards an 87 grill (which are quite plentiful).

I would agree with this. That makes the most sense and saves a hard to find grill.

Meh, he can do what ever he wants, but if he does paint it, use my steps and it should be good for a while. Personally, I wouldn't bother selling the grille, I just get a new one and save the old one for a spare. I can almost build a new car out of my parts lol. Especially here, if you get into an accident, the insurance company will instantly write off your car, you don't even have a choice anymore :( With spare parts, you can fix it yourself and keep it a clean title.

The $100.00 offer was just a start from the pic. Clean it up and post some close up pics and my offer may go up if in prefect condition. If you have an 87, then you need a 87 grill anyway. Please don't try to paint it and mess up a original grill that is no longer made and in good shape.

this is how it came out on my old 86

Attachments

• $(KGrHqVHJEIE88cr4tFRBPTG52)e!w~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqVHJEIE88cr4tFRBPTG52)e!w~~60_12.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 50
how about glass beading the chrome off and then priming and painting it

Glass beading is much to powerful. It would tear that plastic grill to shreads, same with sand blasting. You might get away with soda blasting but is it worth the effort?

Again, just buy the correct grill and sell the '86 to someone who needs it. Original parts are too hard to come by as it is.