You can type here any text you want

panhard bar?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Its still a triangulated 4 link so it still laterally locates the rear. The purpose of a watts link is to keep the rear end from moving side to side. The upper links of the 4 link, wether it is a swivel link or not, also prevents the side to side movement of the rear. Having both would cause conflicting roll centers and the car will try to rotate around two different points. This creates a tremendous amount of stress on all of the suspension components, and causes the car to handle poorly.

The swivel links from DSE are great pieces. They allow the rear to move smoothly through suspension travel and roll. They do their best to limit bind which is one downfall of ALL triangulated four links.

The only time a watts link or Panhard bar is needed is on a rear with parallel control arms like a parallel four link, torque arm, or a three link because their control arms only distribute forces towards the front and back of the car.

SW.

thanks, good info... this is what I am learning as well.

Its still a triangulated 4 link so it still laterally locates the rear. The purpose of a watts link is to keep the rear end from moving side to side. The upper links of the 4 link, wether it is a swivel link or not, also prevents the side to side movement of the rear. Having both would cause conflicting roll centers and the car will try to rotate around two different points. This creates a tremendous amount of stress on all of the suspension components, and causes the car to handle poorly.

The swivel links from DSE are great pieces. They allow the rear to move smoothly through suspension travel and roll. They do their best to limit bind which is one downfall of ALL triangulated four links.

The only time a watts link or Panhard bar is needed is on a rear with parallel control arms like a parallel four link, torque arm, or a three link because their control arms only distribute forces towards the front and back of the car.

SW.

Well Ken,
I know that is a common (mis)perception, but in fact the car handles much better with it. I know. ;) Have you ever been in a car with a Watts??
You should check out the N.A.S.A. American Iron and American Iron Extreme Series. The original factory rear suspension is Required, with add-ons allowed. Cars running triangulated 4 links that added a Watts Link saw a significant improvement in track times and drivers reported the cars were much more controllable. The factory triangulated 4 link is a Bad design for Good handling. It is designed for rear seat room. :rolleyes:
There is a lengthy explanation as to why a Watts Link works with our type of suspension, but I just don't have the time to post it here.
I'll tell you what though Ken, I will make sure you get a free copy of Mark Savitske's new book "How to Make a Muscle Car Handle", due out next month. It will explain ALOT :biggrin:

I have a panhard bar from a 9" ford set up that i never installed if you re interested.

Back