You can type here any text you want

parts compability

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bigbada

can i bolt a top end (intake ,turbo & carb& exhaust )from an 80 hot air car to a later 3.8 efi long block.can anyone give me a general idea of what motors would be interchangeable.my 80 hot air needs rebuilding but i'v found several rebuilt long blocks on ebay cheaper than it would cost to rebuild mine.thanks

Yes and no. All that stuff will bolt onto any '78-'88 and the '89 TTa block 3.8-4.1 and some efi blocks but once the engines were revised and started being called the 3800 then 3800 series1 and 3800series2 and 3800series3 That stuff won't fit those engines.

^^^
Could you go into a bit more depth please? Im actually wanting to go the opposite route..Actually my engine has been rebuilt recently and I want to throw that carb setup to the curb and get the drive train of a 86 to 87 intercooled car

If your running a drawthru setup now and want to go the sfi intercooled route. It's a lor cheaper and easier to find one of those engines and bolt it in. Otherwise your needing a lot of parts to make it into a '86-'87 sfi engine. externals: A wiring harness and computer, complete intake manifold and exhaust system including the turbo, inter cooler, MAF, fuel tank with internal pump and lines to match, Every sensor to make the SFI happy, coil pack, serpentine pulleys and belt, balancer, flexplate. Now internals: '86-'87 cam & lifters a GOOD double roller timing set, front cover. Mods: turbo oil return, either drill and tap the lifter valley like a factory block OR tap the oil pan or the timing cober for drain back.

If you want to go SFI go to the for sale section and see if someone has a complete set up for sale. I remember at least 2 that the guys wanted to sell. that's the easiest way. Not the cheapest but the easiest. the cheapest way is to sell your car and buy 1 with the SFI on it, ready to go. If you decide to do the conversion then PM me about the carb, distributor, turbo control center please.

Thanks for the quick replies and Charlie when I do this I'll definitely hit you up first.

Back