You can type here any text you want

PCV hose coming off, why??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

theCATman

Is that a Monte Carlo?
Hey guys, got a question.... I posted this in the general area too, but thought I might have better response here.

Ever since getting my Razors Alky kit hooked up the PCV hose is partially coming off at the vaccum block. It hasn't come totally off, but backs off about 1/2 way, & then leaks a minor amount of oil around the fitting.

Is this something to do with the added PSI?? It's set at 23 PSI now. Should I turn it down to 20 or less for street use, if this is the cause??

Or is there something wrong with the PCV valve itself??

I think you're on the right track here, CATman,

My 2 cents: PCV is working correctly, which is why the hose is backing off.

You've got oil in your PCV line, making the hose slippery on the port. Whenever you hit boost, the PCV closes, and that pressure tries to find its way out through any connections that aren't solid. With the alky you're running more boost, so there's more pressure trying to push that hose off.

I had to clean mine and ziptie it.

I would install a catch can as oil is going up pcv and into throttle body..no good.

Thanks Toady.

Good to know that it's normal or common.

Snowbird.... what good would a catch can do? The PCV has to be hooked to a vaccum source to function, correct? An engine under boost needs all the help it can get venting crankcase pressure.

Sorry, I'm confused as to why you think a catch can is needed for a little oil. It's not like it's blowing out a 1/2 pint every time I drive it. It's just enough to make the hose slippery. A drop or two at the most.

A catch can will catch the oil thats being drawn through the pcv under vac. It should stop the little puff of smoke during start up and the hose from being slippery ,it goes between the pcv and the vac. block.

OPPS sorry if i got you upset ...pull off your up pipe and open the throttle blade and i am sure you will see lots of oil on the surface of your RJC plate,this indicates your pcv is pulling lots of oil ....willing to bet on it...(10) cents...

The hose on my pcv valve blew off of the valve a couple times. It was full of oil. I just put a small clamp on it.

Had that issue to, i used a vacum block off of a brake booster, and put it up near the TB, and left the PVC where it was, no more problem.

Back