performace accumulator ball ?

ChrisF

Does anyone know what the stock specs are on the stock accumulator ball?

Thread size, count etc. ?

I am hearing that you can replace the stock one (15cc?) with a larger German one (20cc) that will improve brake performance - ???

:confused:

Has anyone done this? Any info? Any part #s, etc?

Any info would be great!

TIA
Chris

I was wondering the same thing, just a couple of weeks ago.

There are tons of cheap ones for sale on eBay for Deutsche cars, Jags, etc.

I really wonder...What, if anything, is the difference?

I'd rate those up there with "performance" floor mats.

They hold more volume of the same amount of vacuum.

I'd rate those up there with "performance" floor mats.

They hold more volume of the same amount of vacuum.

The underlying question is...will they work on a TR.

I'm really surprised this subject hasn't been batted around. These accumulators are way too expensive and hard to come by.

...............I am hearing that you can replace the stock one (15cc?) with a larger German one (20cc) that will improve brake performance - ???

:confused:

TIA
Chris

Not to be a "dick", but I fail to understand how the accumulator ball can improve braking performance?:confused:

The ball stores pressurized oil to be use for power assist. Brake performance depends on the hydraulic side of the PM including pads, shoes, drums, rotors, etc. for braking performance.

The pump side is an assist for leg muscles.:)

My "guess" is that if you had a thread adapter, or re-threaded the import ball, it would work fine. Certainly someone here is willing to try that?:biggrin:

Ask Jason from RJC racing if he could do an adapter.;)

There are all kinds of options for replacing the accumulators. Now saying that, Remove the thought from your heads, pretend it was never thought of to begin with. I worked for 2 years getting 2 different accumulators to replace the ones in the GN's. In the end I had 2 different models. One could be recharged if it lost pressure (like all the GN ones do) and the other one could not only be recharged, but I could replace the bladder if it developed a leak. After all was said and done I ended up blowing about
$3,000.00 and all I heard was complaints that they were bigger or different shape or heavier than stock or OH my God! They cost HOW much!
The same is true for the pressure switch (yes I did that too) forget it.

Guess I should have done a little research on the "import" accumulator ball"?

After reading Evan's post, I looked on e-bay and an import accumulator listed for a GN is less than $130. Years ago when GM still had them in stock, they were $80-90. Doesn't Kirban also sell these?

So many years later, the e-bay price is not so bad.:)

Maybe after 20+ years, the manufacturing and materials are improved so they last longer?:rolleyes:

"Not to be a "dick", but I fail to understand how the accumulator ball can improve braking performance?"

Nick - I was referring not to actual braking performance, but more reliable power assist, and maybe it also lasting longer than a couple pumps of the pedal if the powermaster fails.

:D:biggrin:

Nick - I was referring not to actual braking performance, but more reliable power assist, and maybe it also lasting longer than a couple pumps of the pedal if the powermaster fails.

:D:biggrin:

I thought you meant that Chris, and "hopefully" the new technology with the import piece will be MUCH more reliable than the 20+ year-old design.:biggrin: