Pics of Roll cages

Could he not have put a simple bend in the door bar to allow it to go around the arm rest? That's the way I do all the door bars in the cars I do.

I'm sure he could have. I kinda like it like that "more seat room". ;)

Located in Orange County, Los Angeles, Fast Eddies Race Cars specializes in building race cars and custom fabrication, everything from street cars, hotrods,drag race cars, muscle cars, hi performance cars to circle track cars and every kind of custom

hmmn...

The x bar has to be within 4" of the drivers shoulders, so the harness connection is not so low as to allow the drivers body to roll over forward, in the harness.
The X bar cannot be removeable.
For the slower cars, the minimum rollbar can be a 5 pt.
Stock seats w/ a bar, or a cage?? NHRA clearly states the methods that must be used when seating is installed. Must be bolted, [4 3/8" bolts] to the frame/crossmember, and to the X bar.
Use of stock seat belts with a rollbar is taboo, also.
The triangle is one of the strongest geometric designs. I wonder why folks think that putting bends in the various sides of same, is the thing to do..:confused:
Lets see, "damn, I got messed up when the bar collapsed, but that stereo music was great.:D
Yep, asking the "local tech guy" to recite the rulebook, is scary! Likely, he just got off his regular job at the Micky D's, and does this so he can get in free....:biggrin:

Anyone considering a rollover structure, do yourself a favor, and buy a rulebook. Then, the "ya buts", and he told me's", and the oh $hit's, go away, when the mods are done EXACTLY as outlined in the "book".
Not sure how to read the rule? Call them.. It's one hell of ALOT less expensive than cutting the bars out, and re-doing them.

I wonder why folks think that putting bends in the various sides of same, is the thing to do..:confused:
Lets see, "damn, I got messed up when the bar collapsed, but that stereo music was great.:D

My cage bends around the dash. I went straight over to NHRA in Glendora, CA
after it was finished. They checked over everything with a fine tooth comb. NHRA said the cage looked great and now it's certified for 8.50's. If the bends were an issue as well as unsafe. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have certified it.

The triangle is one of the strongest geometric designs. I wonder why folks think that putting bends in the various sides of same, is the thing to do..:confused:

SFI Foundation Inc. states in their 25.X spec books that "Unless otherwise specified, all tube components may be bent or angled". This includes door bars. While I agree with you that a triangle is a strong design, I have to disagree that if you put a bend in a door bar will affect the strength of the roll bar/ roll cage. If putting a bend in the door bar weakens the structure, then NHRA would not allow it.

BTW, if you crash bad enough that the bend in a door bar fails and "messes you up", then I doubt that a straight bar would have been much better. This is just my $0.02.

DSC02674.jpg

sorry to drag up thread again but i have a couple ?'s
1.kyturbo's cage install pics,when u weld tubes to the frame through the floor,do u guys also weld the tube to the floor or do u leave room between the pipe and the floor.i would think u would want some space there so the body can still flex and not make noise as it is rubbing.
2.if pipe is not welded to floor what do u put in the gap,dumdum?silicone?seam sealer?etc...
3.if u install 6pt bar and install kickers that go through the rear shelf to the trunk,where do u guys like to weld the ends of kickers too,the top of the spring seat on frame?
4.this one maybe a dumb one but,do u guys just put car on level surface and install cage ,is there any way to check if frame is not tweaked(like x'ing the frame to make sure its not diamonded)before u weld tweakness in for good?
5.which is lighter mild steel or chrome-Molly?i am assuming chromemoly is stronger.is it harder to work with?cut,bend,weld?can it be mig welded or does it have to be tig welded?damn newbie's;)

I used roofing caulk in a tube around the floor area.
Chromemoly is lighter and it does have to be TIG welded.
My car was just on a level floor when the cage was done.
The rear bars were welded to the frame outboard of the springs area.

I used Seem sealer you can get it at any good Paint Supply store :)
Comes in a tube like the roofing caulk but it dries hard and dosnt stay sticky :) Or at lease the roofing caulk I uesd never realy dried lol
Hope it helps I have seen people weld the panels back in but they always seem seal around the pipe/tube going threw the floor
;)

i was looking on a couple sites that have kits,all of them say chromemoly is lighter but not stronger,how much weight savings to u think there is on a 6pt cage?does anyone know if anyother kits besides,s&w,chasisengineering,or art morrison?it seems most people who installed them say they don't fit real good.i am looking to do it myself ,but hide it as much as possible.my combo is good for low tens ,do u think i should go 6pt,8pt,or 10pt.i would like to keep rear seats and do both swingouts on front bars.

sorry to drag up thread again but i have a couple ?'s
1.kyturbo's cage install pics,when u weld tubes to the frame through the floor,do u guys also weld the tube to the floor or do u leave room between the pipe and the floor.i would think u would want some space there so the body can still flex and not make noise as it is rubbing.
2.if pipe is not welded to floor what do u put in the gap,dumdum?silicone?seam sealer?etc...
3.if u install 6pt bar and install kickers that go through the rear shelf to the trunk,where do u guys like to weld the ends of kickers too,the top of the spring seat on frame?
4.this one maybe a dumb one but,do u guys just put car on level surface and install cage ,is there any way to check if frame is not tweaked(like x'ing the frame to make sure its not diamonded)before u weld tweakness in for good?
5.which is lighter mild steel or chrome-Molly?i am assuming chromemoly is stronger.is it harder to work with?cut,bend,weld?can it be mig welded or does it have to be tig welded?damn newbie's;)

I always leave room between the cage and floor. I use 3M brushable seam sealer. For my rear down bars, I weld them to the frame above the springs. I make a plate and weld it to the frame, and then weld the bar to it. I level all the cars I do up before I install a cage. I also check the body bushings and suggest replacing them before hand. You can x out the frame and pull measurements for several of the refence points, but once you weld the cage to the frame, It all become ridged. Chromoly is lighter. If you compare the same thickness C/M and M/S, then C/M is stronger. However, NHRA alows C/M to be thinner. .083 wall thickness for C/M vs .120 wall thickness for M/S. C/M is not harder to work with, however it does have to be Tig Welded, and that is harder for some.

i was looking on a couple sites that have kits,all of them say chromemoly is lighter but not stronger,how much weight savings to u think there is on a 6pt cage?does anyone know if anyother kits besides,s&w,chasisengineering,or art morrison?it seems most people who installed them say they don't fit real good.i am looking to do it myself ,but hide it as much as possible.my combo is good for low tens ,do u think i should go 6pt,8pt,or 10pt.i would like to keep rear seats and do both swingouts on front bars.

On a 6 pt bar, the weight savings is less than 18 lbs. There are several companies that sell cages, but most of them sell what I call generic fit bars. Any your are correct that they do not fit nice and tight like a custom install bar does. Also if your car is already running low 10's I'd suggest go ahead and put in a 10pt cage. Check out the Rosewood cage pictures earlier in this thread. That Buick still had full interior (including rear seat) as well as had removable door bars. That sounds like what you want.

thanks for the info,is the front a-pillar bar on the rosewood car a bounch of pieces tiged together or are those the marks from the pipe bender?if that was bent out of one piece damn!,that looks like fun:) do you brush paint your cages or are they sprayed?i know this is going to make the car rigid after a cage is installed,but do they ride like a brick afterwords?i know it depends on tires,springs,shocks,sway bars,etc.. but i know a decent part of that great g-body ride is from all that frame flex.

Check out my car on page 4. It has a full interior, net and swing outs. Also the bar has been done in chromoly.

The chassis builder also was able to sneek the rear bars that go through the package tray between the speaker and side pillar. He said it was tough doing int, not much room but he liked how it came out. Now the hard part comes, hopefully the NHRA tech doesn't pick up on the speakers and gets distracting by the rear firewall. :rolleyes:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

thanks for the info,is the front a-pillar bar on the rosewood car a bounch of pieces tiged together or are those the marks from the pipe bender?if that was bent out of one piece damn!,that looks like fun:) do you brush paint your cages or are they sprayed?i know this is going to make the car rigid after a cage is installed,but do they ride like a brick afterwords?i know it depends on tires,springs,shocks,sway bars,etc.. but i know a decent part of that great g-body ride is from all that frame flex.

The front bars in the Rosewood are one piece. Your right it was fun to do. But it turned out real nice. I spray all the bars that I paint. Once you put a cage in the car, it is solid, so you'll have to play with springs and such to get the ride you want.

thanks again for info guys,i can just see it now,i better buy 10 times the amount of pipe to leave room for screwups:eek: if u do this for a living and say it was fun i can only imagine what my newbie a$$ will do:D
gnxtc that car looks sick! Is that a speed sensor in the rear?what is the brace for that is in front of the rear contol arms?the one that looks like a trans crossmember.where does it tie into,the frame rails?By the way i love that license plate bracket and the fatties!!!!!!!!!!