pissed off

87gnttop1

so i get a new tps put new wires got a good deal on them and i get a really bad hesitation and then the engine shuts off by it self like im trying to drive my car and i cant even do that any ideas will a scanmaster tell me whats wrong with the car :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

does anyone know a coupon code for full throttle lol

Probably need to adjust tps. Scanmaster can be used to help set it. Procedure to set it is on gnttype.org

Nothing to be pissed at. You can't just slap a tps on these cars and call it done without adjusting it.

coil pack.... firewall

engine 6.....5
radiator
Where did you get the TPS? The 84/85 has the wiring reversed and you may have the wrong sensor. Your idle reading is within spec though. Unplug the mass air flow and see if it idles.

yep did it just like that and the tps was for a 87 gn im thinking that the scanmaster will help me find the problem'

really?
no one's ever been able to do some basic diagnostic troubleshooting without having a Scanmaster?

With all the electronic controls on these cars, and the ECM relying on so many sensor inputs, yes......you need at least some type of scan tool to monitor things. Whether it's a scanmaster or something else.

Did ya ever watch the service techs at the dealerships work on these? They had their trusty OTCxxxx to check things. There's no good way for example to check IAC properly with something to tell you how it's operating. Trying to diagnose an electronically controlled car without some type of scantool as just asking for trouble.

That engine bay is far from a stock configuration. There is a boost grey Y which isn't the wastegate solenoid side of things, I can only imagine what else is hooked up wrong. I don't recognize the fuel pressure regulator either. First, verify fuel pressure at the fail with a mechanical gauge. Then use scanmaster to verify electrical inputs. There are many times when new TPS sensors have dead spots. Good luck!

It almost acts like there's a massive vacuum leak. I know the last time I had an issue like this a decade or so back I had forgotten to tighten the screws down on the vacuum block, and the car wouldn't continue to run like that.
The picture wasn't large enough to see, so I have to ask the obvious. Is there a MAF on that pipe, and is it plugged in????

I agree with TNZ, there's a ton of ugly stuff under that hood that needs attention. Hopefully you can find a good GN guy near you that can take a look and straighten things out.

I have to concur with my compatriots, it seems to be starving for fuel, the throttle tip-in feeds in more fuel and the engine picks up.

When the engine is running, all fuel delivery (except the throttle-tip fuel) is calculated based on the MAF sensor data. A bad MAF, or a big vacuum leak (lets air into the engine without going thru the MAF) can cause this. Low fuel pressure (bad pump, etc) could sound like this also.

I also agree that the vacuum hose routing is not right and could be a contributing factor.

What intercooler is on the car? It could be a hose blown off if its a front-mount.

Bob

Thanks for the replies were do I start

And I haven't checked the rest of the couplers but it is a stock front mount I've been trouble shooting adding grounds and such just to see if I can figure what's going on with this thing

Any input helps guys thanks

Thanks for the replies were do I start

And I haven't checked the rest of the couplers but it is a stock front mount I've been trouble shooting adding grounds and such just to see if I can figure what's going on with this thing

Any input helps guys thanks

Not sure what a "stock front mount" is. hard to see from the pic/video. can you post some more pics?

your problem is not grounds.

try unplugging the MAF, if you have a vacuum leak or a bad MAF, this will make the car run/idle better.

Bob

if you hold the throttle slightly open and steady, how does it run? (like put a dime in the throttle stop)

B