Please help me clear up some confusion

HUH? EVERY car?? thats odd, since ive seen MANY gn's that were not repaints have no rock guard. In fact, out of ALL the local gn's, mine is the only one that has it, and most people ive talked to, always ask me about it, since theyve never seen it either. are you sure about this? cuz if you are, there sure are a TON of really informed people that are wrong now.

Yes I'm 100% for sure. I've been in this game since the 70's. I've said it a million times. "If you aren't the original owner and if you didn't personally walk your car down the assembly line, than you don't know what was done to it." How many of these guys are the original owners? Okay, here's another test. Walk through the boneyards and look at every G-body you see. Plenty of original paint cars there as most people dont spring big bucks for repaints. Every single G-body has chip guard. Some have very little like the GP which only has it on the very bottom of the rockers, assuming it doesn't have the wide moldings so you can see it, to the ElCamino which only has it behind the rear wheelwells. There are even specific patterns used between the different assembly lines on the same models. From what I've observed the Pontiac built Regals have the widest area of chip guard of any G-bodys I've seen. Most 84-85 hot air TR's were built in Flint. The next time you see an original one at a car show compare the chip guard on it to your car. I guarantee it will be different. BTW when I had my GN repainted many years ago I had the body shop duplicate the chip guard. He thought I was crazy for covering up the flawless work with the stuff. I wanted to keep it looking original.

Wow, then thats sure a lot people that were lied to, about their cars not being repaints lol. I cant wait to break the news to all those gn guys lol. i have a pontiac built car. the entire bottom below the body crease is all chip guard. Thats crazy that I have never seen the chip guard on any of em but mine... Ive seen quite a few gn's too... thanks for the info.

My car is faily low milage and no rock gaurd. no repaint and yes Ive owned it a looonng timenot since Brand new but it has not been repainted (unless they stripped the WHOLE car and resprayed it at the factory.If that happened it would have rockgaurd onit though wouldnt it? But my parents had a 87 442 low milage that had it. go figure. They did NOT ALL have it.:)

Plastisol protection was standard on all Regals.

Never seen a code to delete it, or ever see any literature or part of any package written up that deleted it as part of an optional package such as a GN build etc.

WE4's certainly came with it brand new.

Thicker the better works for me. :)

I have a 40k original and it is on mine, fairly wide.
As crappy as the paint was from the factory, they should have sprayed the whole car with it. My car is going in for paint the second week of Dec. I have been back-and-forth with putting the rock guard back on the car. Anyone want to share their thoughts. I would also like hear from those who did not have it resprayed after new paint.
Thanks
Bryan

I've got the crap on my car, too. I do believe when it comes time for the repair (which is soon) I will not be putting the rock gaurd back on. YOU are the only one who will ever know there is something missing from your vehicle because 99.99% of the people out there don't even have a clue what rock gaurd is, and 75% of them have no clue what a GN is. JMHO.

I've seen the spray cans for Rock guard or chip guard, the 3M brand, on the shelves at NAPA.

I've never used one however and I'm sure the body shop could do a better job with it, but it's possible you could add it later on if you wanted it.

I don't know if it's an exact replacement for GM "Plastisol" material.

Most chip guards are a clear compound that is added after the color coat. It's easy to add it later on if you change your mind.

I like chip guard only because I still drive mine on the street. It's rather a low maintenence item. I just scrub the dirt and mud off when I wash the car. No waxing or polising required. Plus I dont have those annoying chips in the paint like I do on the front of the car.

My whole rocker on both sides have it along with the very underneath of my quarters, well what's left of it anyway:rolleyes: .