Please help-Starts, won't idle or run right..

Micks87

I blew my head gasket 8 months ago. After dealing with that, and replacing a cam due to wasting a lobe, I finally got it up and running. I broke the new cam in and everything seemed fine. I drove it about a mile the next day and everything seemed normal. Two day later it wouldn't idle and stumbled and stalled when I drove it. Internally it sounds fine (valve train) and there are no fluids mixing (water/oil). This is what I've tried so far:

Tried Adusting IAC - It will not come down within specs, but I can't keep the RPMs at idle to set it right.

Checked for vacumm leaks.

Swapped ECMs and chips - I have 2 ECM. Could something have fried both?

Replaced a MAT sensor - I've had a code 23 for years and never had any problems with it. I replaced the sensor anyway and the code will not clear/stay cleared. NO OTHER CODES PRESENT..

Replaced O2 sensor.

In addition, something is draining my battery in a 24 hour period.

Any thoughts or ideas??

perhaps the MAF gave up the ghost?

unplug the maf, and take the uppipe off and see if it idles ok-

maf

Same question I feel like i'm chasing ghosts. Well the maf from a 84 screw up the running if I have a 87 ecm? That is one thing i have not changed or checked.
Difficult to start, runs like crap. thats a direction i havn't thought about, any other. Should I change the maf with a 87?

I can get it to idle OK with the MAF and up pipe off. Bit I can't get the IAC right (it will not go lower than 91 - should be below 45). It also seems that the Idle Air Control (IAC) Motor makes alot of adjustments.??

The MAF is not sending a code. When it went bad 5 years ago, I could tapped it and the idle would change. It doesn't do that now. Should I consider a MAF conversion?

Thanx

Another thing that is weird. The fan does not come on until after 200 degrees. I have a 160 termostat, a 4 row radiator, and my car never ran more than 175...???

Originally posted by Micks87
I can get it to idle OK with the MAF and up pipe off. Bit I can't get the IAC right (it will not go lower than 91 - should be below 45). It also seems that the Idle Air Control (IAC) Motor makes alot of adjustments.??

The MAF is not sending a code. When it went bad 5 years ago, I could tapped it and the idle would change. It doesn't do that now. Should I consider a MAF conversion?

Thanx

you say it idles OK- as in normal?

i suggest trying to borrow a known good MAF from a fellow turbo buick guy to solve your idle problems-

last time my MAF went out going down the road, it ran like crap-
so i unplugged it and took off the uppipe and then the idle was fine and it ran great, that is how i made sure that the MAF was bad-

then try to set the iac with the good MAF sensor-

as for your fans not coming on till 200 degrees, the fan turn on should be set in the chip-
do you have access to directscan or turbolink to check actual engine temp and fan turn on ?

Yes it idles pretty good without it. I think you're right, it is a bad MAF. I'll try to borrow one to confirm that. I can't find a stock replacement, any sugestions?

I use a OTC. It's not perfect but it works. Maybe the low fan relay is bad.

I found the battery drain. It was my amp.

Thanks,

Yes it idles pretty good without it. I think you're right, it is a bad MAF. I'll try to borrow one to confirm that. I can't find a stock replacement, any sugestions?

I use a OTC. It's not perfect but it works. Maybe the low fan relay is bad.

I found the battery drain. It was my amp.

Thanks,

Then get the LT1 OR LS1 MAF translator-

it will allow you to run the V8 MAF and they can be had fairly cheap-
this way in the future, you wont be looking all over for a MAF-

are you checking the IAC numbers when the car is warmed up and in gear at idle?
hmmmm i think 15-30
check on www.gnttype.org

HTH

Yes, it fixed it. I got a rebuilt MAF (don't remember from where) and it did the trick. Thanks for everyones help.

That's good! Most of these seem to be MAF. Still searching for the one individual that says...yes, the IAC fixed it! Truth be know though I don't think that goes often.

Yes, it fixed it. I got a rebuilt MAF (don't remember from where) and it did the trick. Thanks for everyones help.

sweet-
i finally fixed one!!!

just kiddin- glad it is up and running Mick Cathey

enjoy....:cool: