You can type here any text you want

please tell me I don't need this...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John N

I just spent far too long cleaning up the cover and putting everything back together on the motor only to realize the oil baffle that goes on the crank snout was left out. Please tell me I can do without it. I have the rubber crank seal, no longer the rope seal if it makes a difference.

87toilbaffle.jpg

87tfrontcover.jpg

My opinion is that you do need it!!! Its purpose is not necessarily to block oil from the front seal but to "sling" oil on the cam gear that drives the cam sensor/ oil pump.

You're right about needing it Robert, but it doesn't sling to much oil. What it's for is to control oil and leaks at the crank seal. Most of the oil for the chain comes from top and as it comes down to the crank it hits the shield and then some of it gets on the crank gear from there.

My thought is that if it was there to begin with, it was there for a reason. If your engine is still in the state as pictured, then I'd do it once and do it right. I've seen and seen and have admittedly done the skip-a-step thing myself in the past and it's always bitten me in the a$$. I know it sucks to have to re-do work, but better to re-do it when the engine is out of the car already and before anything bad happens.

Just trying to help ya, man.

Best,

Eric McCann
Germantown, WI

The oil slinger also spaces the balancer properly. Without it, the balancer will sit deeper in the front cover and your crank pulley will be out of alignment with the other pulleys.

Trust me, You need it!!

I've forgotten it before and reluctantly pulled the front cover again to install it.

Well, while I'm in the area doing this for a second time. Where would you all put RTV if anywhere and do you recomment a new pan gasket as well? I want NO LEAKS!

I have a brand new RJC deep pan gasket if you are needing one. It needs a new home.......:)

Before you re-assemble the front cover, take 10 mins & read this by Earl Brown if you havent already! Good info here!
Also, clean all the cover bolts on a wire wheel again & use your favorite goop on all of them. I like Locktite 567 of the stuff GM dealers sell myself but its whatever works for you. I also use RED Spraytack to mate the gasket to the cover & you will need a new gasket! Good Luck!

How to build a front cover/oil pump - TurboBuicks.com

I've seen that link and had planned on doing it myself but skipped the idea to get it together sooner. Now it looks like I'll be buying one of his covers already done if he has any though. Got gaskets and took the cover off today and noticed 2 cracks. Now I know where the leak was coming from at least.

So you got Bit in the Azz cuz you were to anxious to get on the road?
You are Not the first!!
That is good info & well worth the few hours it takes!
I'm sure Earl can help you out. If not, I can as I have a spare cover thats tested for 2K & works perfect! See what earl says?? Good luck!

You have all the luck, don't you? LOL Sorry guy but if you look at it later it's one of the doh! things. We've all done them. Seal her up goo and she shouldn't leak on you.

Hey, at this point I'm glad I left the baffle piece out. Made me realize the cover was cracked the second time I pulled it! A new cover isn't too bad to get. I just really want to get the damn car together. I still need so much though! AHHHH!

Mine wouldnt fit with a double roller chain,it was hittting the cover.So i left it out.no leaks so far with about 250 miles on the rebuild.I have done many mopar engines without it for the same reason and have never had a problem.

Mine wouldnt fit with a double roller chain,it was hittting the cover.So i left it out.no leaks so far with about 250 miles on the rebuild.I have done many mopar engines without it for the same reason and have never had a problem.

What chain are you using?

I thought the slinger was there so the factory rope seal wouldn't leak as bad. Besides, that slinger sits too far up near the seal to actually "sling" any oil on anything...:p

Here's a good story. My OLD engine builder told me you don't need it and the harmonics from the engine could possibly cause it to self destruct. :rolleyes:

Well, you could leave it out...less reciprocating weight to turn = more HP! :D

Back