You can type here any text you want

Pls explain a few terms about TC's.......

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jcawley3

I was reading another thread about the ptc 2800 in the turbo section and don't understand a few terms being used. I'm have been trying to decide on a TC for a few weeks now and just don't know what to do....One reson I'm having trouble is I don't really understand what changing the stall will "feel" like. If someone could explain a few things for me it may clear it up...

What does a Converter being tight or loose mean...and what is "slipping"?

The main concern I have is driving around town....I'm thinking a high stall would mean the car has to rise rpm's to the stall speed before moving? is this correct....thanks you....sorry for the elementry question...John

oh...my choices are a ptc 2800 or a 9x11 3200. reason for this is I know someone with both and they are at a good price...

I was reading another thread about the ptc 2800 in the turbo section and don't understand a few terms being used. I'm have been trying to decide on a TC for a few weeks now and just don't know what to do....One reson I'm having trouble is I don't really understand what changing the stall will "feel" like. If someone could explain a few things for me it may clear it up...

What does a Converter being tight or loose mean...and what is "slipping"?

The main concern I have is driving around town....I'm thinking a high stall would mean the car has to rise rpm's to the stall speed before moving? is this correct....thanks you....sorry for the elementry question...John

oh...my choices are a ptc 2800 or a 9x11 3200. reason for this is I know someone with both and they are at a good price...

I don't know if I would use the 9/11 they had quality problems with them a while back . Do a search

If you PM'd an answer, could I get a copy or could you post it? I've driven only sticks since the early 80's; my Buick is the only auto I have owned.

Rob

no, he asked me to call him...... have not yet though...@ work until 8am

I'm guessing this is a tough one to type a answer to.....somethings are easier to tell someone......I'll figure this TC thing out one day:)

This is exactly right. When a converter is too loose the rpm's have to rise to a higher than normal range to get the car moving. This is the same condition that will make it slip. The converter never fully couples so your rpm will be abnormally high for the mph you are running.

That's the difficult thing about turbo converters. You have to have enough slip down low to get the boost in as quickly as possible while trying to get the converter to couple in very well as the rpm's climb. You always have to sacrifice one for the other. Finding that point where you have good spooling with adequate efficiency is the goal.

In your combination a 2800 will spool very well, drive well but with a noticeable stall. The stall will not be excessive IMO.

There is a 2400 available that will work with the 61mm turbo's. It will drive very much like a stocker but the spool will be slower. There's the trade off I mentioned. I only recommend the 2400 in a case where you have a small turbo like a 61mm or smaller with a stock motor that shifts in the 5200 range.

The 2400 10" will spool as good or better than a restalled D5

This is exactly right. When a converter is too loose the rpm's have to rise to a higher than normal range to get the car moving. This is the same condition that will make it slip. The converter never fully couples so your rpm will be abnormally high for the mph you are running.

That's the difficult thing about turbo converters. You have to have enough slip down low to get the boost in as quickly as possible while trying to get the converter to couple in very well as the rpm's climb. You always have to sacrifice one for the other. Finding that point where you have good spooling with adequate efficiency is the goal.

Dusty - I am torn about getting a 2800 or 3200 stall. In the past, I had a 9 inch 3000 stall art carr converter and loved it (former T I owned - with stock Turbo). As you can see by my sig, I am pretty stock (I just got some 60 pounders I need to install). I would like to get a new converter soon, and upgrade to a 6157 or 6262 at some point. What would be the advantages to a 2800 or 3200? I am not a racer, but just someone who likes to nail it coming away from a stoplight. I am willing to give up a bit on top to have more on the bottom end. I really like the feel of instant torque. I also doubt if I will ever take my car to the strip.

Thanks. JCAWELY3 , hope you don't mind me jumping on board, but I think our questions are pretty similar.

when you say "slip" are you talking about the amount the car increases rpm before moving? would this be the % of slip I read about?

Dusty - I am torn about getting a 2800 or 3200 stall. In the past, I had a 9 inch 3000 stall art carr converter and loved it (former T I owned - with stock Turbo). As you can see by my sig, I am pretty stock (I just got some 60 pounders I need to install). I would like to get a new converter soon, and upgrade to a 6157 or 6262 at some point. What would be the advantages to a 2800 or 3200? I am not a racer, but just someone who likes to nail it coming away from a stoplight. I am willing to give up a bit on top to have more on the bottom end. I really like the feel of instant torque. I also doubt if I will ever take my car to the strip.

Thanks. JCAWELY3 , hope you don't mind me jumping on board, but I think our questions are pretty similar.

not at all!:D

Guys are spooling 67 DBB's with our 2800 so spool will be very good with the 61 and 62mm turbo's. The only way I'd go 3200 with that turbo is if you leave the boost down low, meaning your only making 12.00 et power and shifting at 5600+ rpm. If you want to maximize the combo I'd run the 2800. It will spool very well and still deliver nice efficiency up top.

when you say "slip" are you talking about the amount the car increases rpm before moving? would this be the % of slip I read about?

The slip % you hear about is the slip in 3rd gear at WOT. A converter that slips in the 16% range is considered excessive. Ideally the perfect converter will spool very well and slip in the 5-9% range which isn't always possible due to combination issues.

Stall would be what most call the high rpm necessary to get a car moving. If you put a 3600 rpm stall in a stock car you will think you have to rev it to the moon to get it moving. This is what people refer to as too much stall.

In your combination a 2800 will spool very well, drive well but with a noticeable stall. The stall will not be excessive IMO.

There is a 2400 available that will work with the 61mm turbo's. It will drive very much like a stocker but the spool will be slower. There's the trade off I mentioned. I only recommend the 2400 in a case where you have a small turbo like a 61mm or smaller with a stock motor that shifts in the 5200 range.

The 2400 10" will spool as good or better than a restalled D5

Thanks for your info Dusty! I have a restalled 12" now so I think it would be very similar to the 2400....which I do NOT like the turbo lag...its not bad, people that ride in the car don't noticed it at all...but I do because I liked the way the stock turbo spooled instantly....... I guess the 2800 is going to be my best bet.....I am worried about what you called "noticeable stall"...but like you said got to give one to get the other....

Guys are spooling 67 DBB's with our 2800 so spool will be very good with the 61 and 62mm turbo's. The only way I'd go 3200 with that turbo is if you leave the boost down low, meaning your only making 12.00 et power and shifting at 5600+ rpm. If you want to maximize the combo I'd run the 2800. It will spool very well and still deliver nice efficiency up top.

I think that just made my mind up.......looks like a 2800 for me....as long as it spools faster than this red stripe and I don't have to rev to the moon as you say I'll be happy!

I think that just made my mind up.......looks like a 2800 for me....as long as it spools faster than this red stripe and I don't have to rev to the moon as you say I'll be happy!

That's what I'd recommend. The trade off is a necessary evil with a turbo car.

The higher stall is most noticeable in low speed, high load situations. Climbing a steep driveway, climbing a hill from a stop light. These situations are what put a lot of load on the converter and there isn't enough rpm to make it couple up tight like a stock converter. But if it couples that well at very low rpm the spool will be much slower.

Back