Police shown on tape handcuffing misbehaving 5-year-old

Well, we all knew the media would spin THIS one out of proportion.

First off, as a teacher, my hat is off to the AP who handled that. Like the 'experts' have been saying, she handled that in textbook fashion (pardon the pun).

Some are questioning if the school should have even called the police. ABSOLUTELY! If the child is that far out of control, the mother is an hour away and you've had problems from this student before.. then absolutely. Schools have their own hands bound as to what they can do with a student these days. Anything remotely close to action taken against this student by the staff could easily wind up in a law suit that will take someones career. The only way schools have of handling students like that now are to call the police. Whoever had the bright to get the camera out when that kid started acting up deserves some serious credit. That was a very smart CYA move!

The police, in this situation were in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I think they did the right thing. The child wasn't even arrested, they were merely taken into custody and put in the back of the patrol car for 20 mins. Quite convenient if you ask me. You call the police and they bring their mobile quiet room!

One last thing, as mentioned before. If, thru political pressure, this kid is allowed back in the school and I was a parent, I'd turn the place upside down! The school board would hear from me, and I'd make sure they heard from plenty other parents as well!

Now just think what would've been said if the police had not have done this and the child hurt herself or another child.The same lawyer would be blameing the police for not doing their job.Maybe it will teach the child a lesson.As Jeff Foxworthy said,"the only time-outs when I was young was when my dad took time-out to whip my butt."
If that was my child she would have a butt whippin to remember along with getting cuffed.

the last shot of the first vid. is at the track here in vegas. does anyone know who's car it is? or can you see if its a 9.89 on the clock? sorry wrong post and i cant delete it

Hold techniques are used in Elementray schools all over. I don't see the difference here. The child was out of control, and she was taught that her actions have consequences. If she doesn't learn it at 5 (since she isn't learning it at home) then the outcome is going to be much the same when she gets older.

The lawyer being involved is sickning. Just another case of someone "winning" by being a total loser or showing poor behavior. Seems as if her mother was already aware of what would happen by the officers comments. These are the children that are being catered to in our classrooms today, and cases like this make schools afraid of doing anything while they take away from the education of the rest of the students in class. Schools can't be the parents too. :(

I disagree....

Im sorry but there is no way UNDERNEATH ANY CIRCUMSTANCES would I allow police officers to handcuff my child...Guys yes she was acting out but how is that any different than any of the temper tantrums that YOUR own children have thrown. I have a two year old and as we all know the terribletwo's ain't nothin nice. But to be put in handcuffs for a temper tantrum is a bit extreme.....no Im sorry I don't agree....

And Im also a school teacher (7th Grade Language Arts)

And those same teachers should have taken control of their situation and their classroom as well.

Somehow, I think that if it were some of your own children that were being handcuffed for throwing a temper tantrum essentially, you might have a different opinion.....

She's a five year old girl.......

Is this what we have came to?

Re: I disagree....

Originally posted by artrenee10

And Im also a school teacher (7th Grade Language Arts)...

...Is this what we have came to?

LMAO

Yea,lets put the 5yo black girl in hand cuffs:rolleyes:

To all you agreeing with the police actions,im sure you see nothing wrong with putting that little ****** in cuffs do you??:eek:

Killing a cop should be like winning the lottery.JMHO

Broke, first off it has nothing to do with the kids color. I heard the audio from this and heard what her actions and previous actions in this class room and her life before I knew anything else. This kid has major antisocial behavioral problems and she needs to get a grip on her anger or be taken out of any association with any other kid. Doing so will be best for all others and herself as well. To bring up race under any reason here is racist and is not even part of what the real problem is. The thing that seems curious to me is that she had a lawyer file a suit the same day practically.

This kid is a time bomb waiting to explode in a big way if someone doesn't teach her how to act properly.

quote broke 1
"Killing a cop should be like winning the lottery.JMHO"

What the heck is this all about?

Re: I disagree....

Originally posted by artrenee10
Im sorry but there is no way UNDERNEATH ANY CIRCUMSTANCES would I allow police officers to handcuff my child...Guys yes she was acting out but how is that any different than any of the temper tantrums that YOUR own children have thrown. I have a two year old and as we all know the terribletwo's ain't nothin nice. But to be put in handcuffs for a temper tantrum is a bit extreme.....no Im sorry I don't agree....

And Im also a school teacher (7th Grade Language Arts)

And those same teachers should have taken control of their situation and their classroom as well.

Somehow, I think that if it were some of your own children that were being handcuffed for throwing a temper tantrum essentially, you might have a different opinion.....

She's a five year old girl.......

Is this what we have came to?

Here is the question for you is your child a problem child like this one?
I hope not!

She was not acting out, she was doing what she wanted to do and did not want to be told what to do. That is a real problem!

She was previously warned, the parent was involved prior.

I hope this problem Child is removed from that school and not allowed to return.
The teacher is not a parent! The teacher is there to teach students, if the student does not want to learn then appropriate steps have to be taken.
We do not know all of what happened prior to this scenario; we are all just speculating.

Needless to say the other student should not have to put up with the type of behaviour of this one!

The law is out of control from the point of the teacher, they get dumped on by parents that use schools for baby sitters.
They want their child to be taught to learn; when the teacher or school tries to do just that, the parent goes what are you doing you cannot do that to my child!

Time-out now that one is good for some children but does not work with all, some need extra care; that is not a teacher in a normal school's job or are they all trained to handle this type of child.

Now begets the question what do we do with children like this one?

Do we go after the parent to pay for damages caused by her?
Do we move this child to another school that does not care enough to get her help?
Do we get the parents involved and have the parents come to the school to help with the class?
Do we just let this child and others do what they wants with no repercussions?

What about all the other Students in this child's class, should they have to put up with this type of behaviour?

Guy's I had to vent seem like we have problems with authority here, some people just hate being told.

Thanks for reading. AJ

I cannot believe that you would have a comment like this, teacher lives are in danger from children like this one. They are destroyed because of children like this one.

Originally posted by broke1
Yea,lets put the 5yo black girl in hand cuffs

To all you agreeing with the police actions,im sure you see nothing wrong with putting that little ****** in cuffs do you??

I hate the idea of the race thing being used.
As for the comment about about the Lottery I think you need to have a look at your life for making a comment like that.

Now to the question about what if that was my child....

Well,Ill start like this.

One is 8 the other is 5,neither have ever been in handcuffs.The reason is because they have discipline and will get that butt tore up,no questions asked.My child would not and has NEVER acted like that,so there is no excuse for this little girl or the parent.

When you get older and you do bad things there is a penalty I.E. jail,the same goes for children I.E. spanking.You do bad you get punished,it is a simple lesson learned early in life to stay out of trouble.This coddling the little heathens is straight up BS!

BTW if it were a white kid it never would have made the news.FACT.

Kids in the black area's of Birmingham act alot worse than this im sure,guess what,thats ok cause they arent in school with white kids so no one seems to care(either that or the popo is smart enough to know riots would break out instantly if this BS were to go down here).Doesnt seem to be the case here.Seems like shes in a private school,hence the camera's,nice facility's,and uniforms.Doesnt sound like any predominately black school in the nation to me!!!

THERE SHOULD NEVER BE ANY REASON TO USE EXCESSIVE FORCE ON CHILDREN OR ELDERLY PEOPLE.If you cant understand that maybe I should come and excert some force on your grandmother/child/neice/etc like these officers are doing.

You see where even they say theyre trying to decide on what action to take with the officers in ???,ill tell you what action will be taken,NONE BECAUSE THEYRE ALL A BUNCH OFF ASSHOLES THAT COVER EACH OTHERS ASS'!!!!

I have made some changes in this thread. I am telling you guys, the threats stop or I will start giving people vacations:mad:

I let you guys run with the ball and really do not break balls at all, but I must say that lately member to member threats are getting frequent on this board.

Let it be known, we are a small family and the Administration Staff will not tolerate threats. If you want to conduct yourself in this manner take it somewhere else.

Now back to the topic and lets act professional and like adults PLEASE.

Originally posted by broke1
Yea,lets put the 5yo black girl in hand cuffs:rolleyes:

To all you agreeing with the police actions,im sure you see nothing wrong with putting that little ****** in cuffs do you??:eek:

I can pm you my address if you like!

Oh, by the way if you do decide to come over and win your ****ing lottery DO NOT bring nothing less than a AK-47 biatch!!!!!!:mad:

I didnt make a threat just an observation.Thanks for NOT putting words in my mouth.Since you let his inflammatory post stay the same I will assume you agree with him!

Thanks for nothing and have a nice day.

Well, if you think it's so wrong, I'll have to assume that you condone children acting like that. Hey, what do you expect when society gets more and more permissive. No matter what action was taken, the parent would have caused a problem. Thankyou, political correctness. I guess the teacher doesn't want to be the one that's $hit on. The teacher did the only thing she could do. Call the police. They did the only thing they could do. Restrain the child without causing her to be injured. The mother is going to sue, but I'll bet all she'll end up wiht a headache. You can not like it all you want.

YOU ARE WRONG!

Originally posted by sixgun86gn
I didnt make a threat just an observation.Thanks for NOT putting words in my mouth.Since you let his inflammatory post stay the same I will assume you agree with him!

Thanks for nothing and have a nice day.

I did not single anyone out.

Since you let his inflammatory post stay the same I will assume you agree with him!
And do not put words in my mouth.

Leave it alone, if you have a issue with Broke1 e-mail him. Broke1 if you have a issue e-mail him.

I am not tolerating this crap anymore, so you can flip it however you want.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Well, if you think it's so wrong, I'll have to assume that you condone children acting like that. Hey, what do you expect when society gets more and more permissive. No matter what action was taken, the parent would have caused a problem. Thankyou, political correctness. I guess the teacher doesn't want to be the one that's $hit on. The teacher did the only thing she could do. Call the police. They did the only thing they could do. Restrain the child without causing her to be injured. The mother is going to sue, but I'll bet all she'll end up wiht a headache. You can not like it all you want.

YOU ARE WRONG!

Did you see me say it was alright for the kid to act like that???NOPE,BECAUSE I DIDNT SAY THAT.

Im a firm beleiver in spare the rod spoil the child.It isnt the cops place to discipline my child even if I dont.;)Be like me slapping your kid for somthing I dont agree with,ITS WRONG!!!

I thought cops were supposed to put the bad guys in hand cuffs,NOT KIDS!!!!!

I have many cop friends so I don’t agree with anything that Broke1 had to say, that being said, it is his freedom to express his feelings without the fear of retribution, especially from fellow members. Like NJTurbo said, this board is suppose to be like a small family, lets try not to cut each others throats okay. We’re just having a conversation remember?
I’m sure Broke1 has his reasons for saying what he did, and none of us may ever understand, but he’s still entitled to his opinion. That’s probably why NJTurbo did not delete his comment.