You can type here any text you want

Ported irons with stock turbo.... Worth much power?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I would do that 60, slic and 60lb injectors with alky and tt6.1 chip and Powerlogger. Safe tune it and run 11s.

Would I need to install an egt sensor and a wideband to benefit from the powerlogger?

Would I need to install an egt sensor and a wideband to benefit from the powerlogger?
WB tells AFR, EGT gives an idea of timing limits.

For your goals . . . .and what I am reading . . . . . Keep te stock turbo and stock heads, change valve springs, add alky, run the stock turbo at 20-22 PSI with a TT chip, and you will be happy. PL and WB are NEVER a bad investment.

Don't buy a bigger turbo because it's a good deal, unless it meets YOUR goals . . . and, you are willing to spend the money in other places to make it work effectively.:eek:
Now (Not saying you are into this) . . . . if you want the "Ricer/ Car show WOW" factor, put a 76MM turbo on a stock motor and leave everything stock. LOL. :D

Personally . . . . I would work and/or spend cash to make sure the car can 60'.
Untill the car traps about 88-90 MPH in the 1/8 with alky/stock setup, you don't need a bigger turbo or heads.
There are local cars that run in the TX heat with that and lesser set-up and have a lot of reliable fun!
Those who get greedy too quick pay the price . . . . we don't need another TR on stands in Houston. LOL!!

JMHO. :p

Yeah no kidding. I want to keep the car as reliable as possible but powerful enough to hold it's own on the street. Not worried about the wow factor. I prefer the stock sleeper look under the hood. I may put some drag radials on it since it doesn't see many miles anyway but I don't plan to do much track testing. I'd really like to put it on my dad's srt8 300c that runs 12.4o's lol. Personally I think this car feels stronger but I know it's all that buick torque.

Yeah no kidding. I want to keep the car as reliable as possible but powerful enough to hold it's own on the street. Not worried about the wow factor. I prefer the stock sleeper look under the hood. I may put some drag radials on it since it doesn't see many miles anyway but I don't plan to do much track testing. I'd really like to put it on my dad's srt8 300c that runs 12.4o's lol. Personally I think this car feels stronger but I know it's all that buick torque.
Dude, it wont take much to smoke your dad's car. A TT chip and injector combo for 93 gas and a converter and he'll have to go spend some more money.:D

Dude, it wont take much to smoke your dad's car. A TT chip and injector combo for 93 gas and a converter and he'll have to go spend some more money.:D
I've already got a TT 93 street chip with 42lb injectors. No converter...yet. Also running about 20% xylene with mmo in the tank at 18 psi boost. So what is a safe long term boost limit for stock headgaskets? 20-22? And then I would need to adjust for more wot fuel in my TT chip right?

I ran Xylene for a year or so with a 100 octane chip. It worked fine for mid 12s but was a pain to deal with. A Sunoco down the street started stocking their 100 oct street gas. Ran that for a while but eventually went to alky. Alot cheaper and better results.

Yeah I need to switch to Alky asap, just want to finish the exhaust first. Got lucky buying a true 3" THDP locally from a friend (same guy offering me the turbo, he's upgrading everything) but my crossflow flowmaster catback has got to go! Right now xylene is more convenient than 100 octane. The closest place to buy race fuel is about 30 miles away and sherwin williams is 2 miles away. Alky would be so much cheaper and maintenance free. This may not be the place to ask but should I upgrade my chip if I continue to use Xylene for a while?

You can run up to a 30% mix of E-85 and 93 and get better than 100 octain, not to mention that you don't need to change the chip. Just and FYI for you.;)

charlief1 said:
You can run up to a 30% mix of E-85 and 93 and get better than 100 octain, not to mention that you don't need to change the chip. Just and FYI for you.;)

It won't lean the car out with that much e85 mixed in? would you need to add some fuel in the chip to compinsate for it?

It won't lean the car out with that much e85 mixed in? would you need to add some fuel in the chip to compinsate for it?
You can add fuel but everything I've read in the E-85 stuff on the board you can add 4 gallons of E-85 to 10 gallons of 91-93 octane and it won't cause any issues with leaning it out. Remember in most casses you're already running E-10 from the pump and with the mix above it ends up being E-27 roughly.;)

Mixing is cool and it works very well.
The hardest part with mixing is that it varies because it is near impossible to control. . . . . . i.e . . . You can only assure the correct mix ratio if you know exactly how much is in the tank, etc etc. . . . . or pump X.X gallons of pump gas so you know what you added and calulate from there.

Here is a good place to get race gas in H-town;
http://www.hiperfuels.com/

Thanks, I've heard of Hiperfuels. Hops propane in Santa Fe is closer to me and I've bought fuel from them a few times.

...So what is a safe long term boost limit for stock headgaskets? 20-22?

Boost is just a number. With no knock, plenty of guys run 30psi with the smallish turbos on stock head bolts even with unopened motors. I run 25+ psi to my stock replacement HG's without issue; street and strip.

Sure it will,but the chip will adjust. WOT fuel is something you'll have to monitor and adjust accordingly. It's just so much cheaper than xylene. Of course,your gas mileage will suffer.

So what is a safe long term boost limit for stock headgaskets? 20-22?

More boost makes more power to a point. There are many other things that we do to a motor to increase power. As we make more power,the expanding gasses during the combustion stroke expand at a faster rate meaning they push down on the piston with more and more force. Those same forces are pushing upward on the head,trying to push it off the top of the motor. The gasses are also pushing outward on the gaskets,trying to blow them apart. The better question is,how much power/expansion rate can my head gaskets contain before the power overwhelms them? There is a certain power level/expansion rate that will cause these gaskets to fail. Then we can create more clamping force with a larger diameter head stud/bolt and use a gasket that has the capability to rise with the head and still retain a seal (Cometic).

If we have a motor that has a lot of cam and heads which allows us to rev it higher,we will already be creating a lot of power/expansion rate. If we take another motor that is the same in every other way except for the big cam and cylinder heads,it will need much more boost than the first to make the same power. The motor with the big cam and heads will have a gasket failure at a lower boost level than the other motor because it will reach the critical expansion rate with less boost.

You can't expect a head gasket to fail at a certain boost level. You can expect it to fail at a certain power level.

More boost makes more power to a point. There are many other things that we do to a motor to increase power. As we make more power,the expanding gasses during the combustion stroke expand at a faster rate meaning they push down on the piston with more and more force. Those same forces are pushing upward on the head,trying to push it off the top of the motor. The gasses are also pushing outward on the gaskets,trying to blow them apart. The better question is,how much power/expansion rate can my head gaskets contain before the power overwhelms them? There is a certain power level/expansion rate that will cause these gaskets to fail. Then we can create more clamping force with a larger diameter head stud/bolt and use a gasket that has the capability to rise with the head and still retain a seal (Cometic).

If we have a motor that has a lot of cam and heads which allows us to rev it higher,we will already be creating a lot of power/expansion rate. If we take another motor that is the same in every other way except for the big cam and cylinder heads,it will need much more boost than the first to make the same power. The motor with the big cam and heads will have a gasket failure at a lower boost level than the other motor because it will reach the critical expansion rate with less boost.

You can't expect a head gasket fail at a certain boost level. You can expect it to fail at a certain power level.

Good explanation. Boost really is just a number. I have friends that don't get this concept.

Yeah exactly. I guess a better question would have been... What is the power limit of the stock headgaskets? But then I know they can hold up on a well tuned engine.

Back