You can type here any text you want

Ported irons with stock turbo.... Worth much power?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I've seen it done. It was back in the mid 90's. Champion iron heads with stock engine otherwise. Car ran high 11's@114mph. The compressor can't keep up with the engine over 4600rpm and boost falls off as the rpm goes up. Tall slicks and quite a bit of timing helped that car. It's very difficult to get the stock turbo over 112mph@3600+lbs. It takes really good air.

This is something I've been thinking about. Would the power gains be substantial by installing ported iron heads while still having a stock turbo and intercooler? Once I finish my exhaust system I will be adding alky and then I was thinking turbo and stall converter but what if I upgraded the heads first? Seems that it would have the same effect as a more efficient turbo. Any thoughts?
they are all right but there is nothing wrong with doing the heads first.
maybe they wont give you maximum benefit until the rest of the mods that you are planning catch up.

Let those 301 tta guys know I got a complete engine here that would probably run out of a car that was rear ended. I think I also have some loose parts as well.
PM me the info James and I'll pass it on to the guys. I will point out that if you thought the Buick guys are cheap you aint seen anything yet though.:eek:

Looks like I won't be going that route. Thanks everyone for answering my question. I think it's interesting that it's worth more power but only until the point that the turbo can no longer keep up. Great reference info Bison. I would've never expected to run 112 mph with a stock turbo.

PM me the info James and I'll pass it on to the guys. I will point out that if you thought the Buick guys are cheap you aint seen anything yet though.:eek:
Lol haha just pass on my # those cars are always missing the correct engines so parts are tough to come up with had probably 15 80-81 tta's and maybe 4 with the correct engines

Lol haha just pass on my # those cars are always missing the correct engines so parts are tough to come up with had probably 15 80-81 tta's and maybe 4 with the correct engines
Seriously PM me James. I can foward you're PM to the owner of the board with your number and he'll either post the info or get hold of you that way.

Ive seen 4 stock turbos including mine fall apart when the nut on the cold side turbine falls off.....turbos have a way of making up for poorly flowing heads id get a small upgrade turbo and leave the original heads on the motor....

Looks like I won't be going that route. Thanks everyone for answering my question. I think it's interesting that it's worth more power but only until the point that the turbo can no longer keep up. Great reference info Bison. I would've never expected to run 112 mph with a stock turbo.

We are forcing air into our motors. That's a much different thing than the motor having to pull its own air in. The stock heads won't win any kind of flow shoot out competition,but that's ok. We can just force more air through them. The stock turbo becomes a HP limiter very fast as we ask it to flow more air. The obvious limiting part of the stock turbo is the compressor,but it's important to know that the turbine is very restrictive also. When we upgrade the turbo we get a better flowing compressor (cooler/denser air at any given boost) and a less restrictive turbine that allows for better evacuation of the exhaust gasses out through the exhaust port,which allows for a less polluted intake of air for the next combustion cycle.

You get so much more of a power increase from the turbo than the heads and that power increase is much more dramatically noticeable.

Thanks. A friend of mine has a TA-60 he might be upgrading soon and said he'd give me first dibs if I'm interested. Would that be too big? I know it would need a matching stall. I had been planning on probably a TA-49 before.

Ported heads work fairly well with a stock turbo if you weld a Duttwieler neck on the intercooler. If you are going to go this route, don't hog out the heads. Just clean them up and get them slick. Same with the intake. Don't forget to put a 30 degree back cut on the intake valves while you're at it.

Thanks. A friend of mine has a TA-60 he might be upgrading soon and said he'd give me first dibs if I'm interested. Would that be too big? I know it would need a matching stall. I had been planning on probably a TA-49 before.

TA60 isn't much better than a TA49/TE44. It's the exhaust side that'll hold you back so the extra compressor is really only good in the middle where TA49 shouldn't be far off from anyway.

TA60 isn't much better than a TA49/TE44. It's the exhaust side that'll hold you back so the extra compressor is really only good in the middle where TA49 shouldn't be far off from anyway.
x2 I like the TE-44 better though.

This is something I've been thinking about. Would the power gains be substantial by installing ported iron heads while still having a stock turbo and intercooler? Once I finish my exhaust system I will be adding alky and then I was thinking turbo and stall converter but what if I upgraded the heads first? Seems that it would have the same effect as a more efficient turbo. Any thoughts?
If you havn't already, read up on vortexbuicks-etc.com...has some eye opening info on there...

The stock turbo is good for about 37lbs/min. Whether it's at 22psi/4700rpm or 4900rpm/19psi. 37lbs/min is 37lbs/min and the car has the same potential. A te60 and ta49 will make about the same power. The stage 3 turbine in them spools well with a little more converter. The turbine will be a limiting factor with a te60.

This would be a great first turbo upgrade for you. It will give a big boost in performance. The difference between a 44,49,and a 60 will only matter if you're going to max them out. You're not going to do that. The deciding factor will be the cost. You can buy a new 44 or 49 or get the 60 from your buddy. The 60 wins because it's so much cheaper and there's no shipping cost to boot.

Yeah it would be a good deal. It's also practially new with only a few hundred miles and never been to the track. He's got that and a stretched slic that he might sell me also when he goes to a front mount. You're right I wouldn't ever max it out. I'll probably keep the boost under 20psi. I want this engine to last a long time. So with a 60 is a stall absolutely necessary? I know it would help. Would my 42# injectors keep up?

...So with a 60 is a stall absolutely necessary? I know it would help. Would my 42# injectors keep up?

Not necessary but a good idea and 42's should do it under 20psi but alky and over 20psi will be a lot more fun!

I would do that 60, slic and 60lb injectors with alky and tt6.1 chip and Powerlogger. Safe tune it and run 11s.

Even now I would benefit from Alky. I can't run over 15psi on 93 in this Texas heat. Right now I've got 15-20% xylene in the tank with mmo and it's running great at 18psi but mixing xylene isn't much cheaper than buying 100 octane. It's just more convenient. I'm glad to hear that turbo will work well for me.

I maxed out my stock turbo/combo just two months ago after I installed alchy injection. I wanted more boost and the only way I could get it was to wire the wastegate 100% closed. With the exhaust dump open the boost would spike to around 27psi in first gear (THAT'S FUN!) then fall to around 23psi in high gear. In other words the stock turbo doesn't flow a lot, BUT don't kid yourself, that kinda boost on a stock turbo is DAMN FUN!
I've since up the ante with a larger turbo and it's slowly sneaking up to 28-30psi with alchy and pump gas..

My two cents: Keep the stock heads on as long as you can and keep that head gasket "seal" that the heads have now. Keep the stock turbo and IC but get alchy injection.

ks

Back