You can type here any text you want

Ported irons with stock turbo.... Worth much power?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Yes, I have a thought, you are making the same mistake many new owners make when they want more performance. :eek:

Here is quote of mine in another thread where the owner added many expensive parts, and they did not come close to his performance goals. Maybe this will help you get on the right track:

"I have mentioned this before, a local street legal GN with a stock, unopened factory engine has run 10.90 with a 61 turbo.

It is NOT about a BIG turbo or some other expensive parts, it is all about COMBINATION, and yours sucks.

I have calls every day from owners with similar issues, and they have just thrown lots of expensive parts on their car, and performance still sucks.

Also, a build and combination is not just some engine parts, but other areas like suspension, tires, fuel delivery, converter and other items MUST be up to the level of your desired performance"

So my opinion is that ported heads should be way down on your list for a low 11 sec. build, but oh yeah, you did NOT mention your goals? So you are on a trip, but you do not have a destination??????????

This is why so many owners get frustrated becuse they did not know their performance destination, but went there anyway spending lots of $$$$ and never arrived. :confused: A good move on your part is to determine a performance level you would like and can afford, then find someone that has been there SUCCESSFULLY, and ask for some guidance.

I have a stock unopened engine too and I'm looking for high 10s also. MY car ha ran 11.30s at 119 MPH on C 116 but now I want to ran faster with pump gas and Alky. Someone before me added 3:73:1 gears and now the car is going faster and going over the cam. I'm reinstalling 3:42 and taller tires 28s. With the 3:73:1 it has ran 122 mph but that's in 4th gear! So before I distroy the OD gear the 3:42:1 are going in. Also adding Baseline performance upper adjustablen control arms and a Spohns anti roll bar, it has metro lowers.
Not sure if my boost gage is accurate but it says 29 LBS of boost in high gear. I'm shooting for 125 or so MPH or about 550 HP to get the car into the hgh 10s. Someone else on here has done it running 126 at 10:60s , I'd be very happy with those numbers!

I have a stock unopened engine too and I'm looking for high 10s also. MY car ha ran 11.30s at 119 MPH on C 116 but now I want to ran faster with pump gas and Alky.......!

Let me know how that works out for you? ;)

My guess is that you will no longer have an "upopened" engine.

Just adding alky can be disastrous at that level without the proper supporting items, and sometimes even with them. :oops:

I am not against the use of alky, just how it is mis-used often as many of the engines we do are a result of an improper combination.

Let me know how that works out for you? ;)

My guess is that you will no longer have an "upopened" engine.

Just adding alky can be disastrous at that level without the proper supporting items, and sometimes even with them. :oops:

I am not against the use of alky, just how it is mis-used often as many of the engines we do are a result of an improper combination.

I hear ya, I mean NOS is dangerous too if not used properly.
Proper supporting items? I hear it's been done before by a few people. I have two knock sensors. What else would you suggest? I appricieate you input and thank you in advance =)

Back