You can type here any text you want

Power Logger Vers. T-Link

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Slow91z

Turbobuick.com Helper
Staff member
I have a buddy looking to buy his 1st scan tool and laptop and I want to help him out with his decision.

I know Power Logger is supposed to be better that T-Link, with it's cool extra inputs you can datalog and stuff.

I wanted to know yall's opinion on the subject and also one of his concerns is moving it from car to car (he has 3 TR's and one more Regal he plans on converting)...I know with T-Link all you have to do is unplug and plug and you are good to go.

Also T-Link requires a serial port and he's looking at buying a new laptop and it has come to my attn. that new laptops don't generally come with a serial port anymore...Is there anyone here running T-Link with a Serial to USB adapter??

Any help would be GREAT and thanks.

The only downside of the Power Logger is you need to swap ECM from car to car. Then change chips if they have different injectors. I did the swap last year. I ended up buying a 2nd power logger. I went between a TTA and GN. The TTA's ECM is a PITA to get in and out. It is not bad on a Regal.

I had a Turbolink and it was so slow I could not stand it. It is kind of like going from Hi-speed internet to cable.

Yeah I just found the install instructions...I don't think he's gonna go that route.

The last Vers. of T-link has a faster update rate doesn't it? I mean I'm sure it's not as quick as the logger, but I have the feeling he'd be happy with it.

Hell I have a OLD vers. of T-link and it's just fine for me.

I thought the chip was modded to make it a fast update. I could not take the slowness of the T-link. I had a Direct Scan and then went to T-Link because I did not have a DOS laptop. The T-Link works fine, but the Power Logger is way better. But the downside is it is not easily transported between cars. Which can be a hassle.

The fast update mod in the chips is for scanmaster and only comes in Extender chips. TurboLink isn't compatable with the extenders high speed update code, IIRC. Turbo link, while portable, is slower yes. Update rate is dictated by the aldl data stream which updates once every 1.5 seconds.
Let me repeat that if you missed it. Once every 1.5 seconds. What does that mean on a typical 12 second quarter mile run? That means you'll get a ****ping 8 data points.
What TurboLink has going for it is it's portability, and uses on many other auto's.

If you're tuning a T/R, or TTA with the stock ECM still intact, then the PowerLogger is the only way to fly.
In a typical 12 second run down the track you will capture in excess of 250 data frames, not 8.
It's portable to the degree you move the ecm to the test vehicle and use it's chip.

BTW, the installation isn't all that difficult.

I like my Power logger. I do not have all the inputs I want to hook up hooked yet.

But the fast updating on the scan master is real nice.

The fast update mod in the chips is for scanmaster and only comes in Extender chips. TurboLink isn't compatable with the extenders high speed update code, IIRC...........

The fast update code is available from other vendors as well...

TurboLink is compatable with the faster streams, at least Version 4.X is.

I have TLink and an extender with the fast update but it still is only like 3
frames/sec. I will be selling my turbolink and sticking with scanmaster. Havent used my TLink in 2 years. Car is tuned well and I rarely go to the track anyway.

If I were to get something nowadays I would go the PL route though.

The fast update mod in the chips is for scanmaster and only comes in Extender chips. TurboLink isn't compatable with the extenders high speed update code, IIRC..

the fast code is not exclusive to the extender chip , it can be had in any chip , have had it in all my TT chips

and turbo link does support the fast update , but common shop scantools like OTC, snapon, autoxray,actron can't

The fast update code that is put in chips was written by Bob Bailey for the Scanmaster and released so other chip manufacturers could use it with the SM. The TurboLink guys contacted us and asked if they could use it in their scan tool as well which Bob agreed to. So TL is compatable as long as the chip has the code installed. The PowerLogger is a quantum leap in scan tool tech over the TL however.
Mike

T Update rate is dictated by the aldl data stream which updates once every 1.5 seconds.
Let me repeat that if you missed it. Once every 1.5 seconds. What does that mean on a typical 12 second quarter mile run? That means you'll get a ****ping 8 data points.
What TurboLink has going for it is it's portability, and uses on many other auto's.

x2

Back