You can type here any text you want

Power steering pump Problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRICKSIXPA

East Coast Go fast with class club MAGNA!!!
Staff member
So I bought a rebuild GM steering gear box since my old one was not turning smooth it was getting stuck and then would turn for about half a turn then tight. So that was replaced now the noise from the power steering pump is quite annoying. I have one on the car and another pump laying around.
My question is it worth rebuilding these units the seal kits are only $13 compared to shelling out $60 for a cardone rebuild. Looks like snap ring and just get in there and clean and replace seals. Anybody do this?? Did anybody do this while still on the car. Have a front mount so I have some room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't get a re-man unless the pump is actually broken. Which is rare.

Front shaft seal is easy and I've done that with the pump still attached to the lines but unbolted from the engine. The pulley R&R was done with the pump bolted up to the engine (easier to handle).

If going deeper into the pump then complete removal from car is required. This way it can be torn down and reassembled on the bench.

As for noise, some time ago I switched to GM power steering fluid on advice. This was a good move as the steering is quieter and smoother. Have Chevy dealer nearby that I purchase it at the parts counter.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I just put a rebuilt Carbone unit and works great! Just as quite as the original. Not to many options out there for different brand pumps. It took a week to get mine.

I did all new lines while I was in there.

Back