Powermaster accumulator

RareT

The Thread Freezer
Ok, someone needs to step up and come up with a solution to the discontinued Powermaster accumulator for those of us who don't WANT to convert to vacuum. There has to be a way to either recharge our old ones or fabricate "something" that will work. :confused:

Powermaster

I stopped using GM parts on these master cylinders. Try Autozone. Their #529702. Last price I paid about 2 years ago: $143.99 + $61 core charge.There is another supplier and #, but I can't find it right now. E-Mail me at drew666@sbcglobal.net if the Autozone # doesn't work. Once you buy one they are guaranteed for life. Have exchanged 3 in the last 7-8 years. Drew

FWIW & IMHO:
Autozone does not reckognize that part #, nor the word powermaster, and I don't think that when they do get something in stock in the way of a rebuilt powermaster, it will be by cardone, not exactly the greatest name in quality or reliablity. It won't be $ 149, either. Thanks for the info, though.

FWIW:
It is rumored that a well known company is looking at making or rebuilding the powermaster brake accumulator bowls and Kirban will have them.

Wells said:
FWIW:
It is rumored that a well known company is looking at making or rebuilding the powermaster brake accumulator bowls and Kirban will have them.

Gary,

Kirban emailed me last night and mentioned that someone is in the process of building a prototype accumulator ball (this was mentioned in his emailer as well). I asked Kirban to fill me in on the Who and estimate of how much. Kirban mentioned Cardone, but I'm not sure if he was referring to the accumulator ball or power master brake unit. It was pretty late when he replied. I will keep you posted.

acoen said:
Gary,
Kirban emailed me last night and mentioned that someone is in the process of building a prototype accumulator ball (this was mentioned in his emailer as well). I asked Kirban to fill me in on the Who and estimate of how much. Kirban mentioned Cardone, but I'm not sure if he was referring to the accumulator ball or power master brake unit. It was pretty late when he replied. I will keep you posted.
-----------------------------------
Aaron:
Yes, his e-mailer was what I was referring to. Cardone does do the rebuilt powermaster unit. They are probably the ones doing the accumulator bowl, too. I do not worry for myself as I had opportunity a while back to but a couple of spare brand new in original AC-Delco box accumulator bowls, and a brand new spare powermaster brake pressure switch. I also bought Kirban's last complete brand new in the box powermaster unit. I do worry about other turbo Buick owners, though running out of these, and being forced to go to vacuum when they would have not otherwise done so. Totally stoked for you hearing that your old WE4 is going to be in Hemmings Muscle Machines. Mine is not going to be quite so fortunate, I guess. I will look forward to seeing it when it is in. Mine is doing fine, and I might be looking for another. Hope that you and your family are in good health and spirits. Have a good and safe Labor day.
'

Gary,

It's Cardone, the person that is spear-heading the venture owns an 87 GN. Kirban asked if it could looks as close to original as possible, because it will sell better. I'm not trilled about the manufacturer, but it is better than nothing. What's the deal with Hemmings Muscle Machines and your car? Did you ever get a hold of Jeff to see what the deal is? Jeff and I talk on occasion, he resently told me that my car would appear in a turbo issue early in the year with a target date of Feb 2006. My 86' GN is doing pretty good, similar in condition to my last car. As with any, hell, nearly all black GN/TRs the paint is not perfect, but it is original. Most people around here cannot believe I found another superb example. The paint on this car is a 8 out of 10 for original flawed paint. Interior is perfect, under side is as clean as the engine compartment. The body fit on this car is better than my 87 and the car is one of the straightest I have ever seen. I'm very happy with it. Talk to you soon,

Aaron

Aaron: Did Jeff E-mail you regardng your car going in Hemmings or did he tell you. I think that he got tired of me asking about it and I have a feeling that the little picture in the Jan or Feb of this year without any credit as to who owns the car will be all that I will ever see.

I was sending him photos of other cars for Hemmings, so I was able to touch bases with him from time to time. Jeff and I correspond off and on, especially when I would send him a prospective car to shoot. So far, your car, my old WE4, the 1979 Pontiac and a 1960 convertable Impala with 33k miles have been recommended by me and photographed by Jeff. All will be in an issue of either Muscle Machines or Classic car. Jeff was very happy with the photos from your photo shoot. My car was shot in rainy weather. One of Jeff's all time favorites has been the 1960 Impala I recommended. He told me that the Impala was a great lead. Nothing is in stone as far as the Feb, 2006 Turbo issue. I was told that the Turbo issue was slated for early 2006 and the date has changed twice so far. I'm sure your car will appear again many cars have been in multiple issues. Jeff is pretty much out of the loop as far as determining where and when a car will appear. This years issues have been pretty weak as compared to the previous year. The new editor has a little better grip on things from what I've been told. Hang tight, I think your car will get a write up. The previous issue was just a reminder of what is to come. Shoot Jeff a quick email just to say hello. He will make sure you are the first to know when your car will appear.

Aaron

I'm going to revive this thread some. I have a set of brake gauges that uses a bunch of different adapters (but I had to make an adapter to diagnose PM). I noticed there are GM ABS adapters. Some of those ABS units use an nitrogen bladder accumulator. I would be willing to bet that one of those accumulators would meet our specifications. The thread pitch is just different. What would happen if one were to change the thread pitch (either time-sert or rethread, no helicoils please) on the master cylinder body and install a off the shelf accumulator. The off the shelf accumulators will be readily available and may be a solution for us.

That's a good idea....and worth checking in to. I have also noticed there are accumulators available for some ABS cars and always wondered what it would take to make one work for our PM's. They look similiar, but like you said I'm sure the threads are different or maybe even the pressure?

RareT said:
That's a good idea....and worth checking in to. I have also noticed there are accumulators available for some ABS cars and always wondered what it would take to make one work for our PM's. They look similiar, but like you said I'm sure the threads are different or maybe even the pressure?
Pressure range for PM is 1600 to 2000 and Tevis ABS is 2000 to 2400. So we will not exceed the pressure ranges of the accumulator. Thread pitch is M14x1.5. PM is M12x1.5.

gofstbuick said:
Pressure range for PM is 1600 to 2000 and Tevis ABS is 2000 to 2400. So we will not exceed the pressure ranges of the accumulator. Thread pitch is M14x1.5. PM is M12x1.5.

Well, I have 2-3 spare PM's and I'm willing to give this a shot. The worse that can happen is I waste a master cylinder by tapping the new threads. Do you have any more info on those accumulator units? As in price, GM part#, etc, etc.

I've continued this thread in the Brakes Forum, but don't drill anything out yet. I'll do some more investigation and get some part numbers for us to check.

gofstbuick said:
I've continued this thread in the Brakes Forum, but don't drill anything out yet. I'll do some more investigation and get some part numbers for us to check.

I just read the other thread. I didn't think about the seat for the o-ring. Well, I have a PM unit to donate to the cause if we figure something out.

RareT said:
I just read the other thread. I didn't think about the seat for the o-ring. Well, I have a PM unit to donate to the cause if we figure something out.
I think the seat for the oring may not matter. During manufacturing, the o-ring is probably standard. There is a larger bore at the surface of the master cylinder and the smaller bore with the threads are counter sunk into the master cylinder. I have a Teves adapter and it has the o-ring seals on it. I can try to match the o-rings to the PM body. Then we'll know.