powermaster fun

I took the GN for a drive this morning and the brake light came on. My brakes where hard, and also hard to stop. I had a few other things to do to the GN today, so I figured fix these problems first, like valve cover gasket replacement and hood strut replacement. (added just a little brake fluid). So I did these two things and decided to warm the car up to make sure there was no valve cover leaks. The brake light went out, took it for a drive and no problems.

My question, Is this just the beginning of the powermaster system failure? Or was it just a glitch and is it going to go away. (really wishful thinking).
Any ideas?

I wish I had an answer to these PM whoa's we go thru. If the fix for your PM was only adding brake fluid, you got lucky.... this time. Good luck. I hate my PM!!!!!

Hey there,

I have been away for a couple of weeks and found your post this morning.

Most likely, you have air in your accumulator. Cycle it a couple of times and see. Do you know the proper time to check your fluid? It is to be done after you pump the pedal 10 to 12 times with the key off to depressurize the system. If you know this, and your fluid was low, you may want to start looking for leaks. The high pressure side of the powermaster is a closed system. It should never loose fluid there.

If you don't have air in your system, you need to runs some diagnostics to help find out what's going on. The PowerMaster diagnostic procedure is a place to start if you don't know much about it. If you have more questions, I have a bleeding procedure that helps with regular flushings. Cycling is explained there too. Don't let this problem slide unless you know for a fact what the problem was. If a PowerMaster acts up, you need to make sure it won't happen again. Brakes are nothing to take for granted.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.
The PowerMaster is misunderstood.
It can't be beat if properly maintained and in good order.
HTH,
Z

I took the GN for a drive this morning and the brake light came on. My brakes where hard, and also hard to stop. I had a few other things to do to the GN today, so I figured fix these problems first, like valve cover gasket replacement and hood strut replacement. (added just a little brake fluid). So I did these two things and decided to warm the car up to make sure there was no valve cover leaks. The brake light went out, took it for a drive and no problems.

My question, Is this just the beginning of the powermaster system failure? Or was it just a glitch and is it going to go away. (really wishful thinking).
Any ideas?

I had the same problem,and I replaced the accumulator,AND pressure switch. I got mine from GM Powermasters advertising on Ebay. Cost $255 delivered for both. Their accumulator is a little bigger in diameter,but fits fine.

thanks for all the comments. I am going to look it over for any leaks and check that site out.

A local member of the Pittsburgh turbo buick community is going to look over my brake system for me. I will let you know we find.

anyone have a video of how to switch the entire assembly out with a new unit? Just purchased my 87 and the brake pedal wont even budge. Fuse is blown and when replaced instantly blows. So i ordered a new unit complete and don't have any know ledge of how to swap out. Thank you

Steve C check out the sticky threads at the top, one of them can tell you the entire method to switch them out.

In all my years in the turbo Buick world I have never seen the words "powermaster" and "fun" in the same sentence, or even in conversation? :confused:

My first experience with the PM was in 1987 when the recall for the black pressure switch need changed to the gray one and I paid for a new switch and installed it myself.

I would not leave my new car in the hands of a dealership mechanic as I know how they abuse performance cars!

Since this is an old, boring thread, I thought adding an entertaining post was in order since I missed it in 2009!