Pre-Turbo Alky?

Pittsburghkid

Displacement Replacement.
Just trying to think outside the box and get some opinions. If using a dual nozzle alky system keeping one nozzle in the normal location (up pipe just before the TB) and utilizing the other nozzle in the MAF pipe just before the turbo. I'm thinking this would keep the turbo cooler, the intercooler cooler and not only feed the engine with alky from the usual nozzle but feed it with even cooler air from a cooler compressor wheel and cooler intercooler. The only downside I can think of from this is if the alky would harm the inducer and the alky that would be lost from the compressor surge blowing the alky back at the air filter.

Just trying to think outside the box and get some opinions. If using a dual nozzle alky system keeping one nozzle in the normal location (up pipe just before the TB) and utilizing the other nozzle in the MAF pipe just before the turbo. I'm thinking this would keep the turbo cooler, the intercooler cooler and not only feed the engine with alky from the usual nozzle but feed it with even cooler air from a cooler compressor wheel and cooler intercooler. The only downside I can think of from this is if the alky would harm the inducer and the alky that would be lost from the compressor surge blowing the alky back at the air filter.

well you can do a search :rolleyes: I know "other" non Buick guys love it. Give it a whirl an let us know.

well you can do a search :rolleyes: I know "other" non Buick guys love it. Give it a whirl an let us know.

+1

These threads are never backed up by any real data except it should/could/would work :wink: It sure is a great way to sell more nozzles and plumbing :D And makes extra bonus points at the car show.

I mean if the car parked next to you only has 2 nozzles and you show up with 3.. you are the MAN now :D

I have never overheated my turbo or IC.

In all seriousness it may be cool for someone with a stock turbo running mid 11's to see if they can pickup any MPH. No other reason except to make a turbo that is too small appear slightly larger. And better not have any blow off valves on the motor. :eek:

like I said .. non Buick guys have been doin it for a while. According to them it's great.. Give it a whirl !! :cool:

Lee Thompson has done it for years on his hotair car.

Limit Engineering told him it would be fine and it has been.

That alky is nasty chit. It will corrode the impeller, intercooler piping, intercooler and the throttle plate.

I would like to see the alky being injected post throttle plate myself.

That alky is nasty chit. It will corrode the impeller, intercooler piping, intercooler and the throttle plate.

I would like to see the alky being injected post throttle plate myself.

Yeah I'd think you'd need to be careful on an intercooled car. Lee's is hotair and the methanol goes straight into the intake.:cool:

He's not the only one doing it either.:cool:

Yea but wouldnt all that heating and cooling in such a short time weaken the blades and shorten the life of a turbo?

Yea but wouldnt all that heating and cooling in such a short time weaken the blades and shorten the life of a turbo?

NOPE... EVERYONE is doin this according to other people with NO problems. Give it a whirl an post the results before an after :cool:

Preturbo Injection Test Run And Setup - TurboBuicks.com
Pre-compressor injection test results - DSM Forums
50k miles preturbo aquamist - Google Search
(the original thread is no longer available but read the third link down, 50k miles of running preturbo without an erosion issue. If you know what you're doing, it's not a problem. But the past has those who ran too much and chipped blades and these stories keep getting passed around. Oh well.)

Take what you want from the links above, everyone reads differently.

gnvyus did you ever get to the dyno to get some numbers on the pre turbo alky experiment for some before and after?