You can type here any text you want

Precision slic & turbo coating question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

1. If I were to Swaintec white lightning my chra & hotside, would that keep too much heat in and start coking things up?

2. I see Precision always sends their own up-pipe with their slic. Why. Do we have to use it because their outlet ends up a wildly different location?

The diameter of the up is larger then stock as mentioned above .....you would limit the performance gains by using a smaller pipe. I never tried putting a stock pipe on but at a minimum you will need a reducer sleeve.
There are may engine variances to the motor that cause the up pipe to hit the hood liner.....dog house spacers, new motor mount that change the location of the engine to name a few . Depending on your vehicle configuration it may or may not hit.

If I were to Swaintec white lightning my chra & hotside, would that keep too much heat in and start coking things up?
I would use the White lightning on the hot side only and BBE heat emitting coating on the CHRA . That being said , I used White Lightning on my headers , crossover and downpipe . I didn't coat the turbo because I didn't want to disassemble it . I felt that the most heat loss was in the thin wall exhaust pipes rather than the heavy cast turbo housing .

hello people; Speaking of the up pipe hitting the hood liner with that IC. I have not heard of anyones UP that does not hit the liner. What could be done is cut the pipe a little going to IC to drop it a bit. PTE should of addressed this problem from the beginning and it might be to late to save my liner as it looks like the pipe has made a permanent radius in it.
IBBY

hello people; Speaking of the up pipe hitting the hood liner with that IC. I have not heard of anyones UP that does not hit the liner. What could be done is cut the pipe a little going to IC to drop it a bit. PTE should of addressed this problem from the beginning and it might be to late to save my liner as it looks like the pipe has made a permanent radius in it.
IBBY
I've thought about going to a smaller up pipe myself on my PTE SLIC. Would a 2.5" really hurt airflow that much?

I doubt if it would hurt performance unless your well in the 10's then it would become a restriction of sorts. The reducers might look a little goofy. I sold mine off and bought a GN-1 due to that problem and the scoop/bracket breakage ($250 for both). I had to re-thread the ds side 3 freaking times too. I would not recommend PTE's slic for a daily driver. Just my 2 cents on it.

Shawn, Is there a way to correct this or maybe another brand of 3" up pipe that will not do this?
I tried an polished 3" up pipe, same result. I had a PTE 70mm plenum and 70mm throttle body though. It might be a different result with the stock ones IDK.

I doubt if it would hurt performance unless your well in the 10's then it would become a restriction of sorts. The reducers might look a little goofy. I sold mine off and bought a GN-1 due to that problem and the scoop/bracket breakage ($250 for both). I had to re-thread the ds side 3 freaking times too. I would not recommend PTE's slic for a daily driver. Just my 2 cents on it.
Wow really? I had no idea they had problems. Did you notice any loss of power going to the GN1?

The scoop hangs down way to low. And when it hangs up on a parking curb the ps bracket will most likely bust or bend since it's aluminum. I have no power loss but I'm driving an E-85 street car with bolt ons.

The GN1 is a piece of crap. Every car I have worked on that had one ran well below expectations. 1 of the cars replaced it with a CAS V2 front mount, and picked up big. 121mph up to 127.
A 2.5" up pipe has been in the low 9s with a stock throttle body.

IBBY
I had my engine builder, build custom braces for my PTE SLIC. Many more DOF.

The GN1 is a piece of crap. Every car I have worked on that had one ran well below expectations. 1 of the cars replaced it with a CAS V2 front mount, and picked up big. 121mph up to 127.
A 2.5" up pipe has been in the low 9s with a stock throttle body.

Well no shit you picked up 6 miles an hour lol; you switched from a slic to a front mount! Not a fair comparison whatsoever.

Back