PREVENT orange ECM connector from making contact?

JimK

I know, this is a somewhat unusual question, but I want to basically make it appear my GN won't start ... or stay started rather. I know you can just disconnect the orange cable and it will accomplish one or the other (forget which at the moment), but I want it to appear it is snapped together, but still not make the connection.

Would stuffing a little bit of electrical tape in there do the trick, or might it melt/catch fire ... or simply not do the job?

Another option would be to just remove, or partially remove the chip from the ECM I suppose? I actually have a custom WHEEL chip that I can set and it will start and stall, but that is well known on my GN.

Any advice, insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

What are you trying to accomplish? Just trying to make it not start? Pulling power from that wire will cause you to loose your tune if you have a TT chip, etc.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

As I said, basically want to "make it appear my GN won't start ... or stay started rather." Preferably the latter. So when someone else turns the key, it won't stay running, but without the obvious disconnection of the orange ECM wire. That is why I asked about putting electrical tape inside, etc.

Thanks.

Well personally I wouldnt want to loose my tune all the time so I wouldnt mess with that wire at all. If the car does not have factory starter interrupt you could make a hidden no start switch by interupting the purple wire off the ignition switch. This will cause a no crank condition just like if you had a factory theft deterrent system armed.

Sorry if I'm not being clear. This is a ONE-TIME deal ... I just need this to happen once. This is not a theft-prevention attempt or anything like that (I have my thumb-wheel, high-end alarm system, and hidden cut-off's for that).

Sorry. Your not being clear lol. One time deal. Got it. Do you want it to not crank, or do you want it to crank but not start, or do you want it to crank, start and stall? The latter would be more challenging. Crank but no start could be accomplished by pulling the fuel pump fuse. If you disconnect the relay you will still get fuel pump power once you have oil pressure. To somebody familiar with these both no fuel, and no ECM power are easy to detect. No SES light on key on if you intterupt the orange ECM wire, and no fuel pump sound if you remove the fuse. If you're determined to interrupt that orange wire I wouldnt use tape. It may distort the pins and cause issues later. You could remove the pin from the ecm harness but thats a pain in the ass. Sorry I dont understand the purpose jf you already have other means of no start.

PS. If its a stock car, it will start and run with no ECM chip.

Sorry. Your not being clear lol. One time deal. Got it. Do you want it to not crank, or do you want it to crank but not start, or do you want it to crank, start and stall? The latter would be more challenging. Crank but no start could be accomplished by pulling the fuel pump fuse. If you disconnect the relay you will still get fuel pump power once you have oil pressure. To somebody familiar with these both no fuel, and no ECM power are easy to detect. No SES light on key on if you intterupt the orange ECM wire, and no fuel pump sound if you remove the fuse. If you're determined to interrupt that orange wire I wouldnt use tape. It may distort the pins and cause issues later. You could remove the pin from the ecm harness but thats a pain in the ass. Sorry I dont understand the purpose jf you already have other means of no start.

PS. If its a stock car, it will start and run with no ECM chip.

Thanks, I appreciate your help and your patience. Really, would prefer the latter -- start than stall. I can achieve this with my wheel chip on a certain setting, but the person I am trying to fool knows about that, so no go there. Turn-over but not start would be my second choice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what disconnecting the orange ECM connection will do right? (It's been a while since I've done it.) Any other ideas how to insulate it from making a connection WITHOUT bending the pins?

Wouldn't another option be to just remove the chip (even partially) from the ECM. Would that perhaps short-out the chip? (I definitely don't want to damage my custom chip.) I also forget what happens without a chip connected ... I probably have never done that now that I think about it. But I would guess it would be a turn-over no-start.

It depends on how badly from stock you are. It may still start without the chip but I wouldnt want it to. A stock car will start without the chip installed. Basic program is in the CAL pac. Disconnecting the orange wire removes power to the ECM and you will loose your tune programing but will get your crank, no start condition.

Some interesting ideas here. I'd be leery about messing with the orange wire connector, would likely end up being damaged.

As for ECM chips, this can work. Remove the smaller chip (CALPAK) and limp mode goes away. Install a PROM from a different ECM and the ECM won't run. The SES will flicker when this is done, don't know if that will tip anyone off about it being messed with.

As for a PROM from another ECM, it can be from any of them that use the same basic PROM and carrier.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Pull the CCCI fuse you will get fuel pump sound amd pressure on gauges, crank but no start, and wont loose your tune.

Last edited:
It depends on how badly from stock you are. It may still start without the chip but I wouldnt want it to. A stock car will start without the chip installed. Basic program is in the CAL pac. Disconnecting the orange wire removes power to the ECM and you will loose your tune programing but will get your crank, no start condition.

Basic recipe car (ala Ken Mosher.) Maybe I could just barely disconnect it, but I think that might still be noticed.

I thought about fuses, but I think that might be one of the first things they look for ... and to have it missing (not burnt out) would be very suspicious. If I could put a burnt-out one in there, that would be pretty good. Which one is the CCCI fuse by the way?

Ccci is power to the ignition module. Take a spare one and short it out on a battery to blow it.

Some interesting ideas here. I'd be leery about messing with the orange wire connector, would likely end up being damaged.

As for ECM chips, this can work. Remove the smaller chip (CALPAK) and limp mode goes away. Install a PROM from a different ECM and the ECM won't run. The SES will flicker when this is done, don't know if that will tip anyone off about it being messed with.

As for a PROM from another ECM, it can be from any of them that use the same basic PROM and carrier.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks for the info Rmv ... I'm on a tight timeline here, so I don't think I can do that ... also, when I do this, I need to do whatever I'm going to do in under 1 hour, so it needs to be fairly simple.

Another idea/question ... I have and adjustable waste-gate installed (TA-49 turbo, btw). Been forever since I've messed with it, but could I turn it so low, that the car would appear to have almost no boost/power? Any dangerous side-effects to doing that? I know the effects of doing the opposite of course! :)

Basically, I want the car to seem like a piece of junk ... the start/and stall was a guaranteed way to make sure it didn't even get going to find out, but this could be an alternative or even add-on.

Ok. So blow a fuse across a battery and insert it in the ccci slot in the fuse panel under the dash. This is power to the ignition module but car will still crank and you wont loose your tune. Then just disconnect the wastegste rod and it will be a pig.

PS> Sorry, that's what I should have titled and premised my post: "How can I (temporarily and quickly) make my GN seem like a piece of junk (mechanically)"

PS> Sorry, that's what I should have titled and premised my post: "How can I (temporarily and quickly) make my GN seem like a piece of junk (mechanically)"
Put a Monte Carlo emblem on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make a removable section of harness with GM weatherpack a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. So blow a fuse across a battery and insert it in the ccci slot in the fuse panel under the dash. This is power to the ignition module but car will still crank and you wont loose your tune. Then just disconnect the wastegste rod and it will be a pig.

Ok, that sounds like a plan. Sorry to sound like such a newb, but how would I go about blowing the fuse across a battery ... like a 9volt? (Just trying to figure out the logistics of the spacing between battery terminals and the fuse pins.

With regards to the wastegate ... although, they could readily see that though if the hood is popped, which it inevitably will be. That's right in the front. I can't remember if it is a full turn or quarter turn, or in what direction. I feel like it was 1 turn counter-clockwise to drop 1 lb of boost. Any idea?