You can type here any text you want

Probe Pistons?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Probe Pistons

Can be purchased for $401.00 on ebay. I think that price also includes pins and rings.

Yes I thought that sounded like a decent deal, I just wanted to make sure that they weren't hated. I see that some pistons have different cc ratings. Is that something to worry about?

my old hot rod buddies (both in their 50's:D ) used probe pistons in alot of the engines built at the shop. They were nice peices! I'm thinking of running the same pistons. I would take those over the speed pro's.

After seeing what happened to a couple pistons I pulled out of a 347 sbf, I'll never use them...

I'll try and post a pic this evening...

K.

Sorry for the delay...

347cui. FSB, no blower, no turbo, no nitrous...

K.

Attachments

• Dec 2008 007.jpg
    Dec 2008 007.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Dec 2008 008.jpg
    Dec 2008 008.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 243
Sorry for the delay...

347cui. FSB, no blower, no turbo, no nitrous...

Not to be a jerk, but...if that came out of an N/A motor, the guy making the tuneup calls should be friggin' shot. The ring lands are blown to hell and ate the fu(k out of the crown. That looks an AWFUL lot like a nitrous tuneup that's way off.

Good lord.

Not to be a jerk, but...if that came out of an N/A motor, the guy making the tuneup calls should be friggin' shot. The ring lands are blown to hell and ate the fu(k out of the crown. That looks an AWFUL lot like a nitrous tuneup that's way off.

Good lord.

No nitrous... But you are correct on the tune-up. Too much compression, too little octane, 5th gear @ xxx-digits speeds on I-77 @ Lake Norman...

K.

No nitrous... But you are correct on the tune-up. Too much compression, too little octane, 5th gear @ xxx-digits speeds on I-77 @ Lake Norman...

K.

OK, so what does this have to do with the pistons being {what}?

After seeing what happened to a couple pistons I pulled out of a 347 sbf, I'll never use them...

Doesn't make sense to me. Run a set of pistons & rings with detonation and a lean mix {?tell me I am wrong?} then they fail and you won't use them again?

If I were the piston, I wouldn't get near one of your engines...

RemoveBeforeFlight

If I were the piston, I wouldn't get near one of your engines...

You assume it was one of my engines... It wasn't, never said I built, tuned, etc... The motor was built by CHP, which probably uses more Probe pistons than anyone else...

However, I've ran JE's, Wiseco's, & Venolia pistons in forced induction engines much harder than these without this kind of damage... With the availability of these, yes I would never use Probe pistons...

K.

You assume it was one of my engines... It wasn't, never said I built, tuned, etc... The motor was built by CHP, which probably uses more Probe pistons than anyone else...

However, I've ran JE's, Wiseco's, & Venolia pistons in forced induction engines much harder than these without this kind of damage... With the availability of these, yes I would never use Probe pistons...

K.

So if it wasn't one of your engines, why do you say that you would not run Probe pistons?

Your post:

I'll try and post a pic this evening...

K.

Now you are saying that you have no idea of why these pistons failed? But you are willing to put your name on the line that they are "not worth running?"

Question: why did the pistons that you posted pictures of fail?

RemoveBeforeFlight

RmvBfrFlght said:
So if it wasn't one of your engines, why do you say that you would not run Probe pistons?

Now you are saying that you have no idea of why these pistons failed? But you are willing to put your name on the line that they are "not worth running?"

They were in a co-workers engine, that we dis-assembled. This was not a fresh engine, approx. 5k+ streetmiles were on it. The car is a 100% street car, pump-gas friendly, N/A application.

IMO, the failure should not have been to this rate in this mild an application. And I believe "other" pistons would have survived better.

What your getting at... Yes, lets put some blame on the owner/driver. Maybe he didn't have the car tuned for the load of 5th gear and xxx-digits mph.

K.

What did Probe have to say? Certainly there was more damage than just that slug, in that hole.

Back