You can type here any text you want

problem with Herb Adams 1.5" rear sway bar

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rack406

Hey Guys -
I'm having a problem with a Herb Adams rear sway bar that I am trying to install on my '88 Cutlass Supreme Classic (RWD V-8, G-body). The mounting flanges don't line up parallel to the control arms. The ends of the bar are in contact with the control arms, but the flanges are on an angle. At the back there is ~1/2" gap between the bar and the control arms. I can get all the bolts in but the rear bolts are too short because of the gaps. I called Herb Adams (spoke to him directly), and he said all I need is longer rear bolts and some shims or washers to fill in the gaps. My concern is that when I torque everything down I'm going to bend or dimple the control arms and possibly put stress on something (bushings, bearings, etc.) because everything is on an angle instead of flush. Any thoughts/help/ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!
Cliff

Sounds like you've got the wrong bar. I've got one here like that I picked up at a swap meet for $10, not kidding. Turned out it was for a mid 70's Monte chasis.

I didn't know Herb Adams was still in business. I use to buy lots of Trans Am parts from him. Glad to see he is still out there.
I had a similiar problem with my ATR rear bar. I ended up putting shims between the bar and the rear arms. Didn't need too many.

Back