Problems with Turbonetics boost controller

Phoneguy

Cometic HG stress tester
Has anyone here experienced problems with the Turbonetics billet boost controller? I have had two of these fail to the point of blowing the adjustment screw completely out of the housing. Both were sent to Turbonetics and were replaced by them. I went to NC to Richards last week, did some tuning, made a couple of dyno runs on pump gas and ALKY with 21* of timing and 22psi boost. The car made 555 hp and 553 tq. Made 4 passes at the track, zero knock, zero boost launch went 6.93 with no problems at all. The boost was steady at 22-23. I came home and took my son for a ride to show him how it was running and on a quick blast the tires spun, i pedaled it and the boost went to 29.4 on pump gas and ALKY. Zero knock, both head gaskets blew again. Head gaskets are new Cometic .040 and are studded. I will NOT be re using the Turbonetics boost controller again. :mad::mad::mad:
Pulling the motor again...

Bryan

boost control

Hey brian the exact same thing to the t happend to my friends car 2 weeks ago he went to 32psi and I did head gaskets to it its a prroblem with there controller he called turbonetics and they sent him a new one and 150 bucks for :cool:a head gasket set!!!!!!!

Hey brian the exact same thing to the t happend to my friends car 2 weeks ago he went to 32psi and I did head gaskets to it its a prroblem with there controller he called turbonetics and they sent him a new one and 150 bucks for :cool:a head gasket set!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting.

This is the third time and 3 sets of gaskets, intake gaskets, 2 oil changes per set, etc. I just sent them an email, we will see what kind of response I get from them. It would be nice if they covered my losses but I am not going to hold my breath. There better not be any damage to my motor !!! I am not going to be using their controller again that's for sure. I am seriously tired of pulling the motor due to their POS controller! This motor has spent more time on the engine stand than in the car. If they want to stand behind their parts and cover my losses, great. If not I think I will be relieving my car of all Turbonetics parts including the turbo,wastegate and intercooler.

Bryan

The standard turbonetics MBC is a pretty reliable unit. Ive used it in the past with no spiking issues. Sounds like bad luck with the billet unit.
If you are thinking electronic I'd go with the AEM TRU Boost unit. Best bang for you buck under $250

Sounds as tho engine hoist and stand sales are picking up!! Harbor Frt LOVES Buick V-SICKS!!

i have been using the standard tnetics controller for years and haven't had any issues.that really stinks,these cars can be a pain in the but,but when things come together they are alot of fun.

Since the car already has an XFI on it, another option that doesn't cost anything (unless you don't have a $30 solenoid) is the new 2.0 boost control features. Of course your wastegate setup has to be mechanically fine for any of these controllers to work.

Actually I spoke with Clint about doing this already while I was in NC. Looks like the way to go. Don't have the solenoid/s , can it be set with multiple stages through the XFI ? Or just mapped through the XFI ?

You can have up to 7 stages through a pass. Initially, it can be a little tricky to set up. When it is setup correctly, it works real well. You can even wire in a scramble decrease and a scramble increase button if you want.

Bryan, I would take up Cal and purchase the 2.0 upgrade through him and have him help you get the car straighted out. It sounds like that Turbonetics boost controller is a POS that has cost you enough $$$$$ and time.

I use one to bleed to the top of my gate to get 2 more psi. I guess if it blows its sending full air to the top of your gate keeping it closed?

I think I am tossing it. If I dont run anything to the top of my wastegate I run a steady 22 psi.

That scares me. I dont need the 2 psi for any risk.

I received a call from Turbonetics today....they offered to refund me for the controller. :eek: