You can type here any text you want

PT6466 for this build?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
I know when I am done with my build, I will need a bigger turbo and considering the PT6466 w/ .85A/R housing.
Old motor was a stock long block with GT6132e turbo and 3k PTS9x11 convertor, alky, spooled awesome for mostly street duty.
New build will be:
109 block Forged Stroker bottom end around 9:1 CR.
Champion GN1 ported heads and matching Champion port matched intake.
210/210 rolleron 112 LSA.
3" THDP (same as old build)
Reusing the 3k stall 9x11 LU convertor.

Still mostly street duty, is this a good choice and will this turbo spool just as easy or easier than the GT61 did with a 3k convertor with the .85 housing? I'm assuming it will spool way better given the dbb center.

I could never put the power down with the PTS 9/11 LU converters, only if I locked it up. Unlocked at WOT, it just couldn't do it. It'd go to 6k and sit there for the entire run if I turned it up. I'm running a PTC NLU 3600 stall now, which really stalls at 0 psi at 3350-3400 rpm. So far I really like the NLU on the street. I have a stroker 109 with ported GN1's, ported intake, and a low 9 sec hyd roller cam.

I could never put the power down with the PTS 9/11 LU converters, only if I locked it up. Unlocked at WOT, it just couldn't do it. It'd go to 6k and sit there for the entire run if I turned it up. I'm running a PTC NLU 3600 stall now, which really stalls at 0 psi at 3350-3400 rpm. So far I really like the NLU on the street. I have a stroker 109 with ported GN1's, ported intake, and a low 9 sec hyd roller cam.
You are running the 6466 turbo? Sounds like my build is very similar. The PTS9x11 has been on my original stock long block for at least 10 years or so, ran a best 11.54 with a 1.62 60', doesn't let me spin much past 5200 rpms so I have not been unhappy with it. You're not the first to indicate they did not like it to me. LEt me see how it performs initially when I get the new motor back in then consider what I want to do with it.

I've ran the 6466 with a stock 109 block and stroker crank. With a 3k converter it spools just fine. I think it's the perfect turbo for those wanting a 10 second car and great street manners.

Thanks for the replies, I'm shooting for an easy 10.5 with great street manners, and reliability for the next 20 years, got 25 yrs out of the stocker running in the 11s for the last 15 years or so.

You are running the 6466 turbo? Sounds like my build is very similar. The PTS9x11 has been on my original stock long block for at least 10 years or so, ran a best 11.54 with a 1.62 60', doesn't let me spin much past 5200 rpms so I have not been unhappy with it. You're not the first to indicate they did not like it to me. LEt me see how it performs initially when I get the new motor back in then consider what I want to do with it.

I'm running old school TE45a (66mm), similar. I had a 210/210 110 in my stroker (when I had non ported GN1's). 3000 stall wasn't loose enough, took a while to spool for me compared to going to a 3400 9/11 LU and now the 3600 NLU PTC 9.5 17 blade. Knowing what I know now, this PTC is way better and I don't have to run a switch to lock the 9/11. I think a 3000 stall is perfect for a mild heads cam stock setup with a TE44/49. I loved it with that combo, ran 11's all day.

Thanks for the replies, I'm shooting for an easy 10.5 with great street manners, and reliability for the next 20 years, got 25 yrs out of the stocker running in the 11s for the last 15 years or so.

Mid 10's should be "easy" with your new setup. Maybe first run will be 11.1, but you'll get there. My car ran mid 10's at 125 at 18 psi boost and locked converter with as-cast GN1's.

for mid 10's I wud by one of Bison's 67mm Turbo's. he's already gone high 9's with it and its a junk stock motor with stock rods and crank lol. it spools instantly and mine is a stock stroke iron headed combo. just put in one on last week and the first time out it was brutal! I do have a PTC NL 17 tho. I wud get rid of the 9x11 and go PTC or similar

for mid 10's I wud by one of Bison's 67mm Turbo's. he's already gone high 9's with it and its a junk stock motor with stock rods and crank lol. it spools instantly and mine is a stock stroke iron headed combo. just put in one on last week and the first time out it was brutal! I do have a PTC NL 17 tho. I wud get rid of the 9x11 and go PTC or similar
That was a 62. A 67 is mid 9 sec unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've also got a similar build. I'm hoping for 9.90. With a 4 bolt 6466 I'm thinking you'll have no issue with getting the time you want. I've got a ptc 3200 which is the difference I'm hoping will work.

Thanks for the replies, the convertor is easy enough for me to switch out later if its too tight, I'm figuring the dbb turbo isn't going to have any spool up issues, jus not sure how it will behave with the ported GN1s and such...hate to change too many things at once, like to see what the difference in just the motor build change is first, then get a new turbo, then convertor if needed...and it will be easier on the wallet as I need some recovery time already! ....blew a jet ski motor also this summer and just now got it back together...got a lead finger :D

Rob, actually not changing the converter right now is really a waste......I can honestly tell you that if your motor did not go the way it went... Except for that stock long blocks do have limits, You would see more gains out of the converter swap almost more than any piece of your entire build... How does that sound? I tell you, it's not crazy.

Rob, actually not changing the converter right now is really a waste......I can honestly tell you that if your motor did not go the way it went... Except for that stock long blocks do have limits, You would see more gains out of the converter swap almost more than any piece of your entire build... How does that sound? I tell you, it's not crazy.
X2

I went through at least 5 converters on one of my other cars and never liked any of them when it came to street manners and ended up going back with a stock stall converter. The 9x11 has been the only converter on the GN besides the stock one and I really liked the street manners of it, so this is making it very difficult for me to give it up!
So I see one recommendation for the 3400 PTC NLU, what's the recommendations for convertors, even though I was originally asking about the 6466 :)

My 3600 stall 17 blade PTC 9.5 NLU runs more rpm on the interstate, but it was on 26 in slicks. I'll be converting back to my 28 in tall 275 50 17 DR's here again as soon as my 275 50 17's wear out. Around town, the NLU has been great so far, I get on it and it couples where the 9/11 couldn't take the power while it was unlocked. I ran a new big cooler right in front of my condenser with all new -6 AN lines from the trans. I've been running PTS 9/11 LU converters since 2003. The switch was a difficult choice in my mind, but I wouldn't go back now.

The 6466 is ferocious on the street with the ptc n/l 3k stall... you hardly notice the looseness in the converter around town until you put a load on it, then its instant spool! At the track the 3k converter flashes much higher with a little practice and comes out of the hole like a jet fighter. The time in my signature was after 3 passes- through stock fuel lines with 60lb injectors and one alky nozzle. I upgraded the whole fuel system and switched to xfi this winter and the butt dyno tells me theres a lottt left in it! I love my combo, it puts a stupid grin on my face every time i drive it, throttle response is like a die grinder and traction is a serious problem!

I appreciate the feed back on both the PTC LU and NLU convertors from TurboTn and haywire, and the added PT6466 experience. Glad to hear some feedback since you had the LU. To tell you the truth, I have ran the convertor many times locked and unlocked at the track and it never made a difference, always ran about the same time on the same day locked or unlocked, sometime it was faster, sometimes not, maybe I just wasn't making the power to make it start slipping, this was running 11.5x-11.7x in the 1/4 and 7.2x-7.5x in the 1/8. I truely want to see what the difference is in just the motor build without changing too much at once, I have the tools and a lift available to swap the convertor out in an evening rather than jumping into it now, I'm just curious that way I guess.

Also, I put in a new huge stacked plate cooler also with 6AN fittings as well to keep the new Lonnie Diers tranmission cool also.

I truely want to see what the difference is in just the motor build without changing too much at once
the converter responds based on the power it gets hit with.i went down the same road as you years ago when I put a built motor and a billet 64/68 turbo on the car.i had a really good converter in the car that i was running 10s on the stock motor with and it couldn't produce enough flash stall to put the motor and turbo where it needed to be.the ptc nl did the job and both converters stalled at 3200 but produced and coupled enough flash stall.

Back