PTE super stock location intercooler - sits to low...

jsta6

John 15:17
My PTE super stock location intercooler sits so low that it is starting to get banged up pretty bad. Specifically the shourd. Parking stumps, sidewalks, etc.

It has pushed the intercooler in to the intercooler fan, cuasing a bunch of scratches on the intercooler.

My car is only lowered a little bit. I want to lower it more but I can't now. I was thinking of a front mount but this is my daily driver and I don't want to deal with the high temps. I may go back to a shorter unit. Why can't someone make one wider but not taller?

Has anyone engineered a way to raise theirs up a bit?

Maybe PTE can engineer a kit to raise it a bit?

well to be honest, the pte stock location is only designed for stock suspension cars...lowering the car will definitely not help with clearance on the shroud...i'm sure somebody crafty enough could muster up something to make it sit higher in the engine compartment???

i mean worse case, you would have to switch to the front mount, and they don't cause overheating if your radiator and fans are good...i run a front mount on my daily driven street car all the time and temps are never over 165

d0n_3d said:
well to be honest, the pte stock location is only designed for stock suspension cars...lowering the car will definitely not help with clearance on the shroud...i'm sure somebody crafty enough could muster up something to make it sit higher in the engine compartment???

Why don't you guys come out with some kind of "modified brackets" that raises it up a bit? The turbo can be clocked up a bit to, right? And maybe an adjustable shroud? I am sure you could sell some.

I was going to have my brother fabricate something for me (he is like mcguiver) but he just got shipped off to LA to help FEMA.

d0n_3d said:
i mean worse case, you would have to switch to the front mount, and they don't cause overheating if your radiator and fans are good...i run a front mount on my daily driven street car all the time and temps are never over 165

165? are you kidding? Is that on the highway doing 70mph in the dead of winter or what?

I have a good condition four row aluminum radiator with the ramchargers fans and I am at 180 in traffic with 90 outside temps and the A/C on.

jsta6 said:
My PTE super stock location intercooler sits so low that it is starting to get banged up pretty bad. Specifically the shourd. Parking stumps, sidewalks, etc.

My advice... Stay away from sidewalks, parking stumps, etc. Stay on the road. :biggrin:

Seriously though, I've used a couple of these PTE intercoolers and have always used stock location intercoolers over the years. You must be a little more cautious with them. I've had one customer in the past hit a small animal in the road with his and completely ruin it.

K.

Hey Shawn.........I don't know if your using alcohol, but if you are, put the stocker back on. The Alcohol cools your inlet charge. I have the stocker on and no intercooler fan, and I don't see knock at 25 PSI of boost.

I do have alky.

I don't want to use a stocker becuase I believe after 20 years they have pinhole leaks.

Dude, you live in south florida... Put a lift kit on it and some 22s and you won't have a problem with the intercooler draggin the ground. :cool:

BLACK6PACK said:
Dude, you live in south florida... Put a lift kit on it and some 22s and you won't have a problem with the intercooler draggin the ground. :cool:

Damn dude, what rock did you crawl out from under?

We had 9 cars at towers last friday.

Want to trade intercoolers? :cool:

My car is hollowed out. I went to put some new carpet in it and found that I have a flintstones mobile. I have a buddy I did a website for that's putting new floorpans in for me. Just haven't had the time to get it done. Hopefully have it done in the next couple of weeks.

jsta6 said:
165? are you kidding? Is that on the highway doing 70mph in the dead of winter or what?

I have a good condition four row aluminum radiator with the ramchargers fans and I am at 180 in traffic with 90 outside temps and the A/C on.

PTE FMIC, 160 thermo, stock radiator, RC dual fans, ambient temp 95 and very humid. It doesn't get over 170 sitting in traffic. Haven't tried the A/C yet.

broke1 said:
Shouldve bought my Mease 24 row;)

More ground clearance than a stock IC...

Is that still available? I've been trying to find it since I saw it in an old issue of GMHTP. I tried the Mease website but it doesn't exist.

Only way id sell it is if I got what they went for new,$899+ shipping and your good stock IC core.

The Mease is the best SLIC ever made and anyone whos put one next to a Precision knows that.

It had a $300. ricer core in it. I have my BGC 24 row ic modified by Mease just like his 24 row ics were. he welds a bracket that brings up the intercooler as high as you can under the hood and has it use the two long water pump bolts that go into the engine block on the pass side.stronger mount and better ground clearance.By the way my brand new BGC 24 row ic with the mods is up for sale (going to front mount) , also comes with an aluminum powdercoated black adjustable shroud for the same he got for his. $900.- i put over $1100. into this ic and also has a aluminum engraved grand national emblem on the top of the core.this intercooler has never been installed-waited for my engine to be rebuilt and now want to go with a front mount. trades considered.