PTS extreme 200R4 rebuild problems.

200r4-conversion

Hi!

Need some help with the check ball locations on this transmission. The transmission don't want to down-shift at all regardless of how much I press the throttle. (my suspicion is that I've lost a check ball in the rebuild.

I've checked the TV cable and made sure it's operational and correctly tuned.

200.gif

The balls I have installed are
Reversed 3rd
3rd clutch
low/detent
low/reverse

Intermediate servo check ball can't normally be removed so I know it's there since I didn't remove it.

Any help is appreciated.

Are you using a shift kit? Have you contacted pts extreme, I believe he goes by WE4 on here. You could send him a pm.

Here is the transgo instruction for the check balls. As on their website.

downloadfile-5.jpg

If you look around I believe b&m has instructions on their website too.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You need to have a checkball in all four bathtubs. You are missing one for PT/D3 location.

Hi!

@TexasT : It is Bruce that has built it but I do not know what kind of shift kit that has been used. PTS extreme isn't in business anymore as far as I know so didn't think the e-mail addresses I had would work so that is the reason I posted in here. (Read somewhere that Bruce don't read his PMs only e-mail and Phone)

@ David : I took a lot of pictures when I disassembled it and I can't see that one was installed there BUT the picture ain't perfect and my memory from 2 years ago ain't brilliant. Is there a shift kit that would eliminate this check ball? or does it always have to be in there?

Thanks for the help so far!

Dave builds transmissions, your trans doesn't work right & he told you what is missing. I'd go with it.

Hi!

Well, the pan is down and so is some metal shavings, didn't hear anything in the around 20 miles I drove it before putting the car up in blocks again. (New converter, new friction plates, new seals, with a fully cleaned out house before assembly)

I'm just asking out loud here but I'm assuming there are not supposed to be any form of metal shavings in the oil regardless of how new the internals are?

Probably not a good sign. Did you use new bushings and thrust washers? Did you set the clearances to spec with the selective washers?
I think I'd be inclined to take it apart and see what is wearing and dropping shavings in the pan. Or maybe you didn't get everything out of the cooler and lines. You know better as you are there, I'm just throwing out thoughts.

Probably not a good sign. Did you use new bushings and thrust washers? Did you set the clearances to spec with the selective washers?
I think I'd be inclined to take it apart and see what is wearing and dropping shavings in the pan. Or maybe you didn't get everything out of the cooler and lines. You know better as you are there, I'm just throwing out thoughts.

Hi!

Well I bought a can specifically made for cleaning out the radiator and cooling lines BUT that doesn't mean I can swear I got it all out. (Even tried to use compressed air to get it all out.)

haven't changed any major parts in the trans just some friction plates due to separation after I had been to visit the tuner.

Could it be that the miracle can is everything but a miracle? and I had stuff still in the cooling lines and the radiator?

If it wasn't coming out the same as it went in I couldn't think it got it all. What do.the shards look like? Bushings, ground up bearing, insides of a converter?

If it wasn't coming out the same as it went in I couldn't think it got it all. What do.the shards look like? Bushings, ground up bearing, insides of a converter?

Well I used the can both ways hoping I'd get it all out prior to hocking it up this time but one can might not have been enough.

Well the shavings are really small but there is enough to give a a lot of reflections in the pan. it's the same type of shavings that I had in the pan after a converter meltdown (btw also from when I had the car tuned).

Tried to take a picture of it but didn't get a good enough photo I'm afraid. Will try to upload the best one I took.

Cooler over? you mean using the Cooler flush in a can?

No, I mean whatever cooler you were using for tranny fluid should never be used again. Either get a new rad with a new side tank cooler or get a new external cooler. Many don't even use a TC over after a tranny rebuild.

If it shifts and is working you might think about one of those inline filters and some new fluid and run it. I would but im not sure what you are seeing in there. A little glitter on a new rebuild I wouldn't be too excited. New fluid, New filter and see how it does.

If it shifts and is working you might think about one of those inline filters and some new fluid and run it. I would but im not sure what you are seeing in there. A little glitter on a new rebuild I wouldn't be too excited. New fluid, New filter and see how it does.

OK! Well it doesn't shift right but that is due to a missing check ball in one of the tubs.. (my fault)

Will use a in-line filter and install the check ball and have a try at it again.

Thanks for the help!