You can type here any text you want

Pulling Trany ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ikle

Does having H&R motor mounts make it more difficult to pull the trany ? Since they won't give as much when lowering the tail of the trany to access the top bolts. Thanks, Kyle.

i have drivers h&r mount,and it seems no different. i cannot say if you have both, but i doubt it

I have both and it doesn't appear to limit access to the trans bolts. I can't tell you if they have less give but I got the trans out just fine.

FWIW, I can get to all but the top two from the bottom side fairly easy. Both top ones can be worked fairly easy from the top side with the coilpack/module removed and a rachet wrench.

After you remove the tranny, you can "flatten" the body seam around the bellhousing with a BFH to give you much easier access to the upper bolts in the future. :)

I get all the bolts from under the car. I use a long 3/8" extension (36") with a 9/16" swivel socket. Of course I have a lift so it makes it a lot earier. :)

Have both mounts and just put my trans in a week or so ago. No issues here as well as far as the mounts but getting the trans on the jack while under the car was a BI***!! ;)

Have both mounts and just put my trans in a week or so ago. No issues here as well as far as the mounts but getting the trans on the jack while under the car was a BI***!! ;)

Amen Brother!

That is by far the hardest part of the garage trans swap (no lift) to me.

Once you remove the crossmember the trans will hang down and you can use a long extension with swivel socket. I have a half inch drive 36" extension that has a 3/8 drive end. I
Use a 3/8 impact swivel socket. With air all bolts are removed in one minute. With a ratchet it takes a few minutes. Leave bolt hanging in firewall ground.

I've never clearanced my trans tunnel, but the upper left bolt was mighty tight to the tunnel on my car. I guess if the hammer is large enough, anything is possible.....

On second thought.... I usually try and take all my bolts out before I get a jack under there.... so it will definately be more clearance after you drop the tail of the tranny.

Brian, I assume you are doing this on a lift... and with a real tranny jack?

Blazer406 said:
I've never clearanced my trans tunnel, but the upper left bolt was mighty tight to the tunnel on my car. I guess if the hammer is large enough, anything is possible.....

On second thought.... I usually try and take all my bolts out before I get a jack under there.... so it will definately be more clearance after you drop the tail of the tranny.

Brian, I assume you are doing this on a lift... and with a real tranny jack?

Not always. Last time I did the one in my black car it was on a gravel driveway. It went right in. I put the converter in and bolt a box wrench to on of the holes on the case. I tilt the trans at a 45* angle and slide the jack under then pull the trans on it. Then I grease the pilot and remove the wrench and send it home. Get two lower bolts in and let it hang. Then the remaining 4. Then be sure converter depth is correct. If all good converter bolts go in next

Thanks guys for all your replies, I have had these mounts sitting on the shelf for the last 4 years and now I am going to be installing a set of TA headers this weekend,so I figured that it would be easier to get the H&R mounts installed with the headers off. I just wanted to make sure that they wouldn't make a trany R&I difficult,been there done that LOL? Thanks, Kyle.

Not always. Last time I did the one in my black car it was on a gravel driveway. It went right in. I put the converter in and bolt a box wrench to on of the holes on the case. I tilt the trans at a 45* angle and slide the jack under then pull the trans on it. Then I grease the pilot and remove the wrench and send it home. Get two lower bolts in and let it hang. Then the remaining 4. Then be sure converter depth is correct. If all good converter bolts go in next

Yea.... but you are strong as an ox!

It isn't as easy for people with more body fat... sniff.... sniff.... :oops:

I don't consider myself weak..... and I am overweight.... so I have plenty of anchor... LOL

I employed a similar method to you the last time I installed a tranny, except I used for the first time... an ATV jack instead of a floor jack. It has an air actuated hydraulic jack.... has similar minimum height and max height to my 3 ton floor jack. I eventually wrestled the tranny up on the jack.

This is the least favorite of my tasks I have done on my car....

One little thing that will make life a little easier is the tool that turns the flex plate . I also bolted a flat plate the size of the pan to my floor jack saddle to keep the tranny from falling off the jack ( been there and got the T shirt ) .

Back