pulsating brake pedal??

jeff*k

86 gn, my brake pedal recently began pulsating when stopped at a light. (in gear stopped). and yes it does still have the original pm unit. any ideas???

Originally posted by xtremexnyc
Sounds like your brake rotors are warped. Either replace them or have them cut.

If he's rolling to a stop and it's pulsing, yes, warped rotors. However, he said it happens while stopped.

Pulsing after the stop is completed is something new to me :eek: wish I could help.

I haven't messed with the PM yet, but does the PM motor keep running during this pulsing? test it by turning on the ignition without starting the engine and hold the brake down.

Originally posted by TurboDave

If he's rolling to a stop and it's pulsing, yes, warped rotors. However, he said it happens while stopped.

Pulsing after the stop is completed is something new to me :eek: wish I could help.

My bad I didn't see that part. I wish I could help also but that is definitely something new to me also.:confused:

It could be one of two things, your powermaster pump is getting weak to maintain the proper pressure or the the pressure switch is on its way out.

good luck

Prasad

If your fluid isn't dropping in the motor side of the reservoir[right from driver's seat]and rising on the outside[fender side],I would say the motor has a pooched element internally.The switch is the gray[should be for recall],and on top with three wires going to it.Apply the brakes and listen for motor cycling.The most it should cycle is once,any more and you've got internal leakage between the assist side and the master side.That's where you'll see the fluid rising,going from the pumped side to the actuation side.If it is the motor,call Hank Terry.He's a board member and sells new motors for the P/M[the motor hangs underneath the P/M].I believe the motor's are $150 brand new.Hope that helps.
BTW,rebuild kits used to be available from ATR for $50,all pistons and seals included[I bought one five years ago].I believe Autozone sells new P/M's[exchange] for $199 with a lifetime warranty.:)