Pypes or Hooker

87Turbo-TWE4

Just picked up an 87 that needs new exhaust. Which one is better as far as sound and price goes? Can somebody recommend sites on where to buy?

Just picked up an 87 that needs new exhaust. Which one is better as far as sound and price goes? Can somebody recommend sites on where to buy?

I personally like the Hooker exhaust, but that's just me. Mine has been on the car for about 5 years and no problems whatsoever. It fits good, sounds good and you don't have to drill any holes.

The Pypes kit, in my experience; might be stainless, but it doesn't fit as good and you have to drill a few hole to install it. Its a nice kit but could be nicer. The tailpipes were really really close to the coil springs on the car we installed it on, and it took alot of tweaking and adjusting to get right. That's my personal experience with it.

Hope this helps.

IThe Pypes kit, in my experience; might be stainless, but it doesn't fit as good and you have to drill a few hole to install it. Its a nice kit but could be nicer. The tailpipes were really really close to the coil springs on the car we installed it on, and it took alot of tweaking and adjusting to get right. That's my personal experience with it.

Hope this helps.

X2! I love the pypes system, sounds great, good quality, great price but was a PITA to install. I started at the Cat, probably would have fit better if I started at the tailpipes and worked towards the cat.

Had both

My choice is in my sig .. Hooker=herman munster & pypes=eddie munster .. The pypes system is so quiet i sneak up on people and turbo belch in thier windows . If i want noise i open my electric dump .. I have a used hooker system ill sell ya tho .

X2! I love the pypes system, sounds great, good quality, great price but was a PITA to install. I started at the Cat, probably would have fit better if I started at the tailpipes and worked towards the cat.

Yeah I always hear you work back to front, but the quality couldve been better. And the clamps just sucked! I think we striped a couple of them during the install. Overall it wasn't bad. I give it a B- personally.

If your car sits often get the stainless or else condensation will kill the hooker kit.

If you drive your car often the hooker kit seems to last better than one that sits (assuming no salt).

I just wouldn't be able to spend money on a hooker system now that there's a cheap stainless kit out, and Oil Man is right the pypes is dead quiet (with the race pro mufflers, not the Violators).

Am running hooker exaust sounds great mufflers starting to rust my next move is either pypes with magnaflow mufflers my friend has it on his sounds rridiculous when you open it up am also thinking 4 inch single shot from rjc racing waiting to hear how it sounds

Pypes get my vote

Installed from back to front easily.
Eliminated the cat. Don't know how much it contributed to the dyno test but ot 300 hp at the wheels. It did not hurt, that's for sure.
The car sounds throaty but not brutal or coarse. Installed a cut out for that. You can hear the turbo better as you drive and crank it up which is a plus in my opinion.

If your car sits often get the stainless or else condensation will kill the hooker kit.

QUOTE]

Absolutely after just a few winters of storage my hooker started rusting.

Yeah and on the flip side I bought a used Hooker kit from Scojack and it was on my T-type for a couple of years and was still fine when I parted the car out...I got my money back on it even.

Your right my cars sat for 3 yrs I put 4000miles on the car since febuary and my hooker exaust is sh@@t now that's why am in the market for a new one

Why not see if you can swing some extra money and get the TR Custom Parts exhaust? It looks really nice! I hear it sounds very good too!

I really have my mind sey on the rjc 4 inch single shot exaust from what I here it sounds ridiculous:cool:

Lithe sig says I have the pypes race pro stainless. They don't have the highway drone that the flowmasters had and they were easy to install. I don't know where everyone else had problems but mine went on easy. I haven't ever had the hookers exhaust but I have heard good things about them and I know they are a little louder.

Hooker here also. Bought system 5 years ago from Summitt and paid about 400. Mine, other than a little surface rust, is still fine. Unless someone is showing car at some car show and using mirrors to show off the underside of car, then to me all is good. You only replace an exhaust if its rotting, not rusty. JMO:smile:

My vote Pypes

It's a good thing the hooker is easy to install because more than likely it will need to be replaced due to rust. I bought a new hooker system and it rusted at the welds and mufflers. I’m going Pypes next. It might be a pain to install but at least I’ll only do it once.