Question about modifiying an Powerstroke IC so you don't have to cut...

fullahotair

Hey all,

I have a powerstroke IC that I am thinking about installing on my GN, but i don't know that I really want to cut into it the way most have. I was checking a few things out tonight and came up a with a couple questions...

I see most people trim off the ear on the bumper support, is there something that prohibits you from mounting the IC closer to the bumper? I am thinking about cutting the end tanks off and making them come out the side and have the pipes come around the bumper strut, under the rad support and up. If I do that and can't move the IC out closer to the bumper, that support would be in the way...

I am also considering making the inlet/outlet come out the bottom, but the IC is pretty darn wide and there really isn't enough space to have a sufficiently sized end tank for equal air distribution...in my opinion.

Thanks
Nate

We have installed a few PS intercoolers and did not want to modify the core support. The outlets were "rotated" 90 degrees so the pipes went into the engine compartment behind the headlights. :)

The battery must be relocated with this mod.

One GN with this set up was running low 9's!

Attachments

• ps.jpg
    ps.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 147
thanks for the replies..

Nick,

What size IC pipe did you use? If i recall correctly the ID of the existing p'stroke inlet/outlet is 2.75" and the thickness of the core is 2", so I am guessing you probably ran a 2.5" pipe and just modified the IC to enlarge from the 2" thickness the IC pipe size? - - easy enough....

Also, did you modify the bumper strut "ear", or did you mount the IC before or after that ear/flange?

I can answer this question myself, when i get home and look, but are any of the headlight thinger majiggers in the way to enter through the headlight opening? I imagine with the flexible 90, that it is somewhat forgiving....

Thanks for the help,

Nate

i don't think anyone sells the prebent pipes....i think you are on your own...at least i expected to make my own...

Nate

........What size IC pipe did you use? .......

Also, did you modify the bumper strut "ear", or did you mount the IC before or after that ear/flange?...............Nate

The pipes are 3". They are made from the Ford PS pipes modified to fit.

The IC is put in place, then the bumper struts are installed. They help hold the IC in place.

Why dont you just buy a regular front mount if your going to go to the trouble of modifying the powerstroke? Seems like a lot of work just to avoid a few holes;) I did my car 6+ years ago and have NEVER regret it. Have fun.....

just a little cutting involved.......

Attachments

• DSC00107.JPG
    DSC00107.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC00272.JPG
    DSC00272.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC00007.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 101
8uwith6 - - nice car pics!! I am not ruling out cutting into the core support, but i just don't think i want to do it that way at this point. Especially if i can modify the end tanks to perhaps run it through the head light hole like Nick did...

You are right in that there is a balance of what you invest into something like a P'stroke IC and investing in an aftermarket one. I picked up the IC for $130, pipes will cost me some money, but i can do all the fab work on my own for free, plus at the end of the day I can say i did it myself and save the bank roll for something else....but you often find you have invested enough time and money that in the end that aftermarket units aren't that bad of a deal...but sometimes the path of least resistance it isn't always the most rewarding....

Nate

Nate, if you can weld, and do the fab work, by all means.......... use the pics of my setup to determine where you want to have the pipes oriented. I moved my PS IC as far DOWN as possible so I didnt have to remove the metal trim piece that supports the center of the header panel behind the grill. HTH can email more pics. Have fun

I've installed 4 of these

Just as they come except for trimming the tabs. For someone who has the tools to weld and can buy mandrel bend tubing ells wholesale. It requires drilling some holes with a 4 in. hole saw and trimming with a sawzall. They are a very good cooler--light in weight as compared to some of the bigger made for TR coolers---car will run cooler since they are thinner but wider (agian as compared to a thicker coolers). If I was building a car again it would have the PS cooler.